WDW literally falling apart

Disney Analyst

The pictures circulating online were after Buena Vista Construction Company removed the entire facade to begin work on replacing it, that whole wall didn’t fall over. It is quite possible that an ECV, especially a Disney one that has the large grill on the front, could take out a chunk of wall if it ran into at full speed.

So you’re saying people shouldn’t jump to conclusions and wait for facts?

A novel idea indeed!

lazyboy97o

The pictures you’re seeing is after BVCC removed the entire facade, this is not all damage caused by the possible ecv crash
Except that they clearly did not remove the entire surface as part of it is still there. The portal was not a single solid piece, it was made up of at least seven pieces (a base, two tall tiles and then the arch). An ECV would have hit the bottom two pieces, but something warranted the removal of the top side piece and half of the arch piece, suggesting damage extended that far. The jagged edges at the top of the arch suggest damage, as it would have been safer to properly cut the arch with a saw if it was decided to remove the panel to that point.

Also point to remember is that most facades are plaster and stucco painted to look like other materials, an ecv ploughing into that is sure to leave some sort of damage.
Damage at the impact site. Stucco being damaged more than 10’ up suggests a bigger underlying issue.

Casper Gutman

The pictures circulating online were after Buena Vista Construction Company removed the entire facade to begin work on replacing it, that whole wall didn’t fall over. It is quite possible that an ECV, especially a Disney one that has the large grill on the front, could take out a chunk of wall if it ran into at full speed.
What’s the source for the fact that the images were taken after repairs began? The first set of images, which seem to be from very shortly after the initial incident, show about half of the facade missing. Newer images, after the initiation of repairs, show the entire facade removed. It was the first set to which this thread was responding. Also, the most significant damage seems to be to the facade that begins about four feet up - the lower, faux-marble section may be scuffed and dented but is still seemingly intact. This raises more questions about the ecv explanation or at least reinforces the point that some sort of contact with the lower facade destabilized the entire edifice - a sign of severe maintenance issues.

James Alucobond

What’s the source for the fact that the images were taken after repairs began? The first set of images, which seem to be from very shortly after the initial incident, show about half of the facade missing. Newer images, after the initiation of repairs, show the entire facade removed. It was the first set to which this thread was responding. Also, the most significant damage seems to be to the facade that begins about four feet up - the lower, faux-marble section may be scuffed and dented but is still seemingly intact. This raises more questions about the ecv explanation or at least reinforces the point that some sort of contact with the lower facade destabilized the entire edifice - a sign of severe maintenance issues.
The earliest photos I can find show the left-hand panel with the lighting fixture and another equally sized panel leaning unbroken against the doorframe. I would assume those two were removed separately as they were fully intact, including the light fixture itself. While I would agree that something structurally problematic was likely uncovered that prompted them to remove the entire facade and that whatever happened to the left side of the upper archway is very concerning, I don’t think those photos are necessarily indicative of the immediate aftermath.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

The earliest photos I can find show the left-hand panel with the lighting fixture and another equally sized panel leaning unbroken against the doorframe. I would assume those two were removed separately as they were fully intact, including the light fixture itself. While I would agree that something structurally problematic was likely uncovered that prompted them to remove the entire facade and that whatever happened to the left size of the upper archway is very concerning, I don’t think those photos are necessarily indicative of the immediate aftermath.
I suppose what we can say with confidence is that something unexpected happened between park opening and whenever the first photos were taken

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There are pictures with one side missing but no safety barriers or construction crews visible. It appears a large section did fall before the rest was removed.

LittleBuford

Actually, @James Alucobond, I think I understand what you mean now. There are pictures that show a large panel with the light fixture attached to it placed on the floor and leaning against the door. Neither the panel nor the fixture are broken, which to me suggests that they did not collapse but were taken down after the structure was compromised.

James Alucobond

Actually, @James Alucobond, I think I understand what you mean now. There are pictures that show a large panel with the light fixture attached to it placed on the floor and leaning against the door. Neither the panel nor the fixture are broken, which to me suggests that they did not collapse but were taken down after the structure was compromised.
Yes, this exactly. Was just struggling to craft a response that better explained what I meant. 😆

LittleBuford

Yes, this exactly. Was just struggling to craft a response that better explained what I meant. 😆
And I can now see the second unbroken panel leaning to its right. Based on these pictures, I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that, whatever happened to the door, half of it didn’t simply collapse spontaneously to the ground. At least two large panels, including the one with the light fixture sticking out of it, must have been removed deliberately in response to an issue/incident.

Goofyernmost

What circumstances would make this NOT a maintenance issue?

Plenty of pixie dusters here will be more than glad to answer that… ;)
Hardly a pixie duster here, but long life tells me that there are times when something isn't broken until it's broken. There is nothing one can do to a facade. It is either securely connected to the building or it isn't. If it was glued, which quick glance tells me was the case here, than I am open to any logical suggestion as to what type of "maintenance" could be done to see that it was eventually going to come lose and fall down. There are so many armchair handy men/women that are quick to decide that they are experts in building, or for that matter how maintenance is done. Unusual, yes! Predictable, no!

Unbanshee

Original damage: https://blogmickey.com/2022/09/port...-facade-damaged-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

hollywood-blvd-facade-damage-09262022-4.jpg

After BVCC tore down more facade: https://blogmickey.com/2022/09/keys...en-as-crews-work-on-repairing-damaged-facade/

hollywood-blvd-facade-repairs-09262022-2.jpg

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
And I can now see the second unbroken panel leaning to its right. Based on these pictures, I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that, whatever happened to the door, half of it didn’t simply collapse spontaneously to the ground. At least two large panels, including the one with the light fixture sticking out of it, must have been removed deliberately in response to an issue/incident.

So only HALF of the facade fell down. Much better! Pixiedusters, rejoice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom