WDW IT Layoffs 1/30/2015

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or to put it simply... Disney can treat the workforce like a commodity and not have any interest or attachment to its labor force. Sounds like a fantastic way to build companies vested in their communities and their long term success doesn't it????

Well it's certainly congruent with how TWDC runs its business now, We have the nobles and the serfs the Nobles inhabit Glendale and Celebration. The serfs do all the work and reap none of the benefits and the few benefits they have are being systematically stripped from them.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are getting very worked up by an article that was clearly written with bias, and with the designed goal to upset people. Left or Right, there is not one politician in the world that 'doesn't care' about people. This article and thread clearly lacks details. The OP clearly is more concerned focusing on blaming other people than looking for a new job, and the article is trying to make another case of 'evil' corporate america.

Many times employees charge to a contract, and when that contract is over, the need to reapply for another position, but I cannot make any informed decisions about this case, because details needed to make an informed decision are missing. I am not going to be told by an article that Disney is evil, and take their word without any doubt that they let go good people to hire foreigners.

Foreigners are cheaper especially when supplied by companies like Tata and Infosys who routinely bend us labor laws and are routinely fined by DOL for the infractions. They can supply a body for 50,000 who if they were Green Card or Citizen would cost 100K The neat part is the body they supply is getting if they are lucky 20,000 US for 60-80 hour workweeks

There is No need of foreign labor in the US when there are nearly 94 million people who are not participating in the labor force. Yes there is a 'shortage' of those willing to perform six figure jobs for minimum wage while living in a company dorm.

Canada has been rolling back there guest worker programs because even there it was rapidly becoming 'No Canadians Need Apply' in the hospitality and IT businesses.

Po'Rich

Well it's certainly congruent with how TWDC runs its business now, We have the nobles and the serfs the Nobles inhabit Glendale and Celebration. The serfs do all the work and reap none of the benefits and the few benefits they have are being systematically stripped from them.

This is nothing new or unique to Disney. It's basic Marxist theory for how the world works (and has always worked)...at least until the proletariat rise up and throw off the yoke of their bourgeoisie oppressors.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is nothing new or unique to Disney. It's basic Marxist theory for how the world works (and has always worked)...at least until the proletariat rise up and throw off the yoke of their bourgeoisie oppressors.

Actually it's closer to the old soviet system where you had the Nomenklatura (ie central committee members) and the Narod (people) who were born to serve the state.

jloucks

A company's long term success will always include the need for great employees. When you treat them like disposable diapers... you won't get that, nor will great people want to work for you.

I agree with your vibe on this whole topic. But alas, you can treat people like diapers and be successful. The people that built your awesome iPhone have suicide nets around their barracks. Apple is awesome, but it doesn't get more diaper than that.

TimothyG

I agree with your vibe on this whole topic. But alas, you can treat people like diapers and be successful. The people that built your awesome iPhone have suicide nets around their barracks. Apple is awesome, but it doesn't get more diaper than that.

The people who assembled your iPhone have suicide nets around their barracks. The ones who built it are (mainly) in California making 6 figure salaries with phenomenal benefits. Massive difference in those two jobs. If Apple treated their engineers like that, they wouldn't be able to come out with an iPhone 7. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member

Contracting out manufacturing isn't necessarily in the same vein of what we are talking about here. But even with the contracted manufacturing... look at the way Apple is involved with those partners vs sending out bids and taking the best looking one.

NelsonRD

We are blurring the employee/employer relationship. This is why they call it work. Your employer/boss doesn't need to be your friend, nice, or generous. While it is nice to be recognized at work for your efforts, this idea that your employer or boss needs you, is why there is a large turnover in employment. When you take a job, it is a job, you do not need a sign on puppy, and ice cream bonus. Those that are strong in their field will build a strong resume, and will find employment, while those who complain will continue to find excuses. You have to show value to your employer, you are hired to do a job, not to be part of their family. If that is your goal, look for employee owned businesses.

Most contracts I have worked with have actually have it defined that is illegal to tell the contractor what people to hire, and what people to work a contract. In this world of diversity reports, and fairness, I am not surprised by this trend of shifts to contractors.

Sometimes what seems like a nice move by an employer has a double meaning. I know people that work for some of these companies that have great benefits (napping, dogs at work....), but then they expect you to work 16 hour days.

At the end of the day, a job is always work.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
People in the usa are so skewed by the work culture of the last 35 years in this country.

Many have lost the notion that you should look at work as more than creating substance for yourself. And employers that only look to have autonomous drones doing what they are told to do will always hold themselves back.

The top down mentality will never do better than that one person. And who believes one person knows everything?

wogwog

Original Poster
Disney laid off hundreds and allegedly replaced some or many with foreign labor. Then a few weeks ago Disney took part in the conference to make it easier to bring in more foreign workers with the help of Congress.

I do not work in IT. I do not know anyone who does. I can almost use email. I am not looking for employment. But the way Disney and other corporations are operating these days in respect to employees is disgraceful. Iger represented Disney at this lobbying effort.

A group of business leaders and progressive mayors hosted a closed-door meeting in Washington pushing for a big increase in the number of foreign “guest workers” allowed into the United States to fill skilled positions.

This took place in April but I just found out.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/senators-scheme-to-import-more-foreign-workers/

Ignohippo

Isn't it ironic how a company so completely infatuated with its public perception would do something so incredibly callus to tarnish its image?

It's just another perfect example of THDCo stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/u...off-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

The NY Times referenced the January layoffs in a new article repeating the same facts that the Orlando paper printed with some other points and companies doing similar things. The comments are fun to read. About 1500 at last count. I will expect a political spin to come out soon from Burbank.

And now that the NYT has it the story has LEGS, BTW if you can vote AGAINST all the congress/senate critters who want MORE foreign labor in the US labor market.

RSoxNo1

The employees received a severance package that was 10% of their salary. I'm guessing that these people had some warning when they were hired that these weren't permanent positions. The bigger issue here is that the website and app are far from perfect.

Nubs70

The employees received a severance package that was 10% of their salary. I'm guessing that these people had some warning when they were hired that these weren't permanent positions. The bigger issue here is that the website and app are far from perfect.
Just like any job in an "at will" state that is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement.

You can leave the company at any time for any reason including no reason.

And

The company can leave you at any time for any reason including no reason.

As long as the reason is not discriminatory.

AdventureHasAName

This is infuriating, but you can't ask Disney not to use the same resources (cheap foreign labor) that every other company in the country has readily available (and uses). The people to blame are in the federal government and both parties.

Absolutely infuriating.

EDIT:
After a little thought, I take it back. Disney is an American company that makes zillions of dollars per year; it should be better than this. It's pennywise and pound foolish. Shame on them. Shame on Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom