WDW fan goes West!!

lebeau

Original Poster
Hello all,

I'm opening this thread on my brother's behalf. He's an old hand at WDW, but a novice when it comes to DL. He'll be making his first trip out west in October. He's got 2 days in DL and is planning to visit both DL and DCA. He's looking for any tips regarding:

1) What are the things a WDW fan should prioritize on a DL trip?
2) Where to stay? (He's leaning towards DL Resort at the moment)
3) Hopper or no?
4) Where to eat?
5) Anything not covered by 1-4 :)

Thanks!

wdwmap.com

1. POTC-The original is still the best, Their beautiful Fantasyland, Indy.
2. Definately onsite, would suggest Disney's Grand Californian Hotel simply due to the location
3. Yes to hopper because DCA is not a full day and DL is a 2 day park.
4. Try Blue Bayou, not the best but the atmosphere is worth the price of admission.

Have a great time.

Chad

lebeau

Original Poster
1. POTC-The original is still the best, Their beautiful Fantasyland, Indy.
2. Definately onsite, would suggest Disney's Grand Californian Hotel simply due to the location
3. Yes to hopper because DCA is not a full day and DL is a 2 day park.
4. Try Blue Bayou, not the best but the atmosphere is worth the price of admission.

Have a great time.

Chad

Thanks for the helpful advice!

He's looking at the "Welcome to Disneyland Tour". Anyone ever take it? Thoughts?

TP2000

Thanks for the helpful advice!

He's looking at the "Welcome to Disneyland Tour". Anyone ever take it? Thoughts?

Way too simple of a tour. That's for people who have never been to a Disney park before and have a limited amount of time to see the basics.

He should consider the Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour if he is interested in Disney history and Walt's concept of a theme park. But definitely don't waste your time on the Welcome To Disneyland Tour.

He needs to focus on the Disneyland attractions they don't have at WDW like Indiana Jones Adventure, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Alice In Wonderland, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Pinochio's Daring Journey, Sailing Ship Columbia, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo, or Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. StorybookLand Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train will be closed for refurbishment in October.

That's in addition to focusing on the attractions that exist in similar title at WDW, but are dramatically different at Disneyland, like Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, Tarzan's Treehouse, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, etc.

There's some stuff at DCA that is unique to California as well, like Disney Animation Pavilion, California Screamin', Monsters Inc. dark ride, Blue Sky Cellar preview center, Hyperion Theater Alladin show, etc.

nemofinder22

Hello all,

I'm opening this thread on my brother's behalf. He's an old hand at WDW, but a novice when it comes to DL. He'll be making his first trip out west in October. He's got 2 days in DL and is planning to visit both DL and DCA. He's looking for any tips regarding:

3) Hopper or no?
4) Where to eat?

Thanks!

1- Anything thats not found at WDW or is vastly different, Since its October HalloweenTime will be in full swing, don't miss brand new this year Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, Halloween Screams (the brand new firework show with a flying Zero), and returning as always Haunted Mansion Holiday, and Woody's Halloween Roundup.

add to that Pirates, Indy, Matterhorn, Small World, Toontown, Fantasyland, Fantasmic!, though not performing yet the WOC site just to see how massive it is.

2-It really depends on the person, if you want to be fully in the Disney magic stay on site, but if you dont care so much theres lots of off property hotels to choose from.

3-DLR ticketing is different than WDW, hoppers are standard in the tickets once you hit 2 days. Meaning if you buy a 2 day ticket its a hopper, might as well visit DCA to see it.

4- Blue Bayou is a popular place, its a sit down. Along with Napa Rose at the Grand Californian, IMO Goofy's Kitchen is a much better character dinning place than any of WDW's character choices, there is a vast amount of characters to walking around.

If table service isnt your choice, Plaza Inn, French Market, and Rancho Del Zocalo,are great choices that serve great food with out the whole table service wait and seating but with out the standard counter service food.

One thing to remember if fireworks are a big part of the day, DLR has to deal with the Santa Ana winds sometimes forceing the cancelation of the fireworks and if its strong enough Fantasmic!
You can also find great seating for the fireworks near small world though you can not see the flying Zero its a much calmer place to see them. The fireworks are loud back there and the sound system at DLR is fantasic! oh if your planning on watching Fantasmic! watch the 2nd show if there is one.

You get a free tortilla when you vistit the Mission Tortilla factory as goes for the bread tour.

Fastpass is turned back on for Haunted Mansion Holiday. TSMM! at DCA dose not offer fastpass but the line is hardly ever over 40 mins and has single rider.

If your at DL first thing in the morning I recommend getting a FP for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, since that is the newest attraction during the time.

Lucille

Hello all,

3) Hopper or no?
4) Where to eat?

Thanks!

1. Space Mountain - a million times better than the one at WDW.
Fantasyland is cuter.
Pirates is longer and better (IMO.)
Any ride that WDW doesn't have (Alice in Wonderland, Casey Jr., Storybook land, Indiana Jones, etc.)

2. I've never stayed onsite. All the onsite places are pretty pricey. We stay offsite. It's only a 10 minute walk to the turnstiles.

3. Hopper is a MUST. You can walk back and forth between each park.

4. We typically stick to counter service. I like Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. You get a lot of food for your money. Love the chicken fuseli (sp?)

5. Have fun!

Raychul

Hope he has a good time out here! I am originally from FL but recently moved out to Cali and frequent DLR many times a year.

If he plans DL and CA like he would plan a WDW trip then he will be fine. A pro at WDW park maneuvering will find getting around DLR's parks extremely easy. I always can finish DL and CA 100% in just one day. It's just knowing how to do the parks and taking advantage of Fast Passes, and the fact that the parks are so close to each other is a great help.

Just tell him to grab a Fast Pass for Space Mountain then one for Soarin' first thing in the morning and he should be fine for the rest of the day. Both of those rides fill up quickly and the lines never really die down.

As for eating at Blue Bayou, there are usually always reservations spots open as long as you go there first thing in the morning to schedule for a meal later in the day. I have never been there in the morning and been told they were booked for the rest of the day.

I am sure he will have a great time! I am heading there again myself in a few weeks. :sohappy:

lebeau

Original Poster
Hey, wow!

Great stuff guys! I'll pass this along and let you know how it went when he gets back.

Thanks again!

:sohappy:

lebeau

Original Poster
I passed the info on this thread aslong to my brother and he asked that I post the following on his behalf:

I'm looking for tips/suggestions on getting the most out of the DL Hotel. Someone already posted that the Goofy's Kitchen is a great character meal. I was considering that for dinner already, so that will pretty much seal the deal. Any other information on the hotel that might go beyond what's on the website would be great. I'd be curious to know how long the walk is to the parks. Is it best to take the monorail from Downtown Disney, or just walk it? Are there long waits for elevators? How's the exercise room? Is the internet in the rooms fast/reliable? Is it comparable to any of the hotels at WDW, especially one's I've stayed at (All Star, Coronado, Caribbean Beach).

Also, thanks to all who've posted. I especially appreciate the advice on attractions. The advice on tours was very good, too. I'm definitely focusing on the Welcome to Disney Tour. Walk in Walt's Footsteps seems like it would be too long given the length of my stay. Someone said the Welcome tour is a waste if I'm an experienced WDW visitor. Any other opinions on that?

That's all I can think of. Thanks again.

nemofinder22

Disneyland Hotel has some renovations going on right now that continue till 2012 but its only one tower at a time and its currently the Dreams(Sierra) Tower the south end of the tower.

Internet Im pretty sure comes standard in all rooms at DLH, PPH, and GCH.

Monorail or walk to the park, it really depends on how the crowds are. If there isnt a big line to get on then I'd take the monorail, but if theres a line you might as well walk, it isnt the longest walk and its a nice stroll through DTD. DLR only operates 2 monorails on the line at a time.

Im not sure how DLH would compare to any at WDW since there pretty opposite in terms of resort layout and such, the towers stand at 11-14 stories tall, the rooms are standard, interior hallways, each tower has about 3 elevators, the views are pool, parking lots, or DTD. There also isnt a huge food court like some of the WDW resorts but rather a small eatery called "Croc Bits n Bites" similar to OKW's "Goods to Go". As well as a bunch of table service places and Goofy's Kitchen of course.

Theres also a new HalloweenTime Tour I forget the name though.

Oh and Halloween Screams, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy seem to be getting great reviews across a bunch of Disney boards.

Quest4fun

The Disneyland Hotel is very special to a lot of people. It's the preferred hotel for celebrity guests believe it or not.

Unfortunately there is no longer Monorail service directly to the hotel but it is a relatively short walk to the station at Downtown Disney.

sweetpee_1993

I'm soooo enjoying this thread! We're slated for another WDW adventure in March but we're thinking next will be DL in Cali. Again, good to hear that the experienced WDW planner will do just fine. That said, I have some additional questions to add to the OP's list:

1. What is the best source for DL discount info? I saw all over the place the current $400 off a package thing but then started comparing the value of a discounted ticket-only + room-only discount combo. It almost seemed like I could do better with the room-only/ticket-only route. :shrug: Any tips for shopping the discounts & deals for onsite?

2. It's my understanding that the dining plans aren't really a savings so much as prepaying meals. Opinions on the usefulness of these dining plans?

3. What websites have the best, most detailed info on the DL resorts (ie. allearsnet for WDW)?

4. What's the closest airport to DL resort? Is it the easiest to get to/from aside from the obvious rush-hour traffic during the week?

5. What's the best way to get from/to the airport? Are the shuttle services good? Are taxis so stupid expensive they are not a consideration? Tips or not-so-obvious options????

6. I know this is a tooootal long-shot but what the heck, right? Is there ever any possible way to get the chance to eat at Club 33 without being a member? It's my impression that non-members can be brought as guests of a member. Would it be possible to somehow find a member who would be willing to take ya or is it more complicated than that? Never hurts to dream, right? LOL!

Thanks muchly everyone! :wave:

And to the OP, hope your brother's trip is super-wonderful! Make sure to come back and share his impressions with us! :wave:

Kerby626

I'm soooo enjoying this thread! We're slated for another WDW adventure in March but we're thinking next will be DL in Cali. Again, good to hear that the experienced WDW planner will do just fine. That said, I have some additional questions to add to the OP's list:

1. What is the best source for DL discount info? I saw all over the place the current $400 off a package thing but then started comparing the value of a discounted ticket-only + room-only discount combo. It almost seemed like I could do better with the room-only/ticket-only route. :shrug: Any tips for shopping the discounts & deals for onsite?

2. It's my understanding that the dining plans aren't really a savings so much as prepaying meals. Opinions on the usefulness of these dining plans?

3. What websites have the best, most detailed info on the DL resorts (ie. allearsnet for WDW)?

4. What's the closest airport to DL resort? Is it the easiest to get to/from aside from the obvious rush-hour traffic during the week?

5. What's the best way to get from/to the airport? Are the shuttle services good? Are taxis so stupid expensive they are not a consideration? Tips or not-so-obvious options????

6. I know this is a tooootal long-shot but what the heck, right? Is there ever any possible way to get the chance to eat at Club 33 without being a member? It's my impression that non-members can be brought as guests of a member. Would it be possible to somehow find a member who would be willing to take ya or is it more complicated than that? Never hurts to dream, right? LOL!

And to the OP, hope your brother's trip is super-wonderful! Make sure to come back and share his impressions with us! :wave:

If you look at the bottom of Allears they have the site for DL with all the same info on it. The best airport to fly in and out of is John Wayne Orange County. It is maybe 20-30dep on traffic. I would stay far away from LAX unless you want to deal with traffic that is insane all the time. John Wayne will put you in the middle from LA to San Diego. You are much better off with a rental car than trying to do the shuttle or taxi. You will eat just as much if not more in the cost. We can get discounted tickets here on base so just keep that in mind if you decide to go that that route. Besides we have plenty of room for you guys and we are just at an hour from there.

Laura

Premium Member

Take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour and I believe you get a tour of Club 33 (but no eating).

Lucille

1. I can't help you with hotels. I've never stayed onsite. They unfortunately don't have any reasonably priced onsite places.

2. I would NOT use the dining plan. From what I understand you basically pay in advance. And if that's the case, then I think you lose money if you don't spend all of the money you pre-paid.

3. Disneyland.com is the official site. allears it pretty good too.

4. John Wayne airport in Santa Ana. (Sometimes called Orange County.) The airport code is SNA. It's the best one (IMO) and the closest.

5. Can't help you with this one. We always rent a car.

6. Again, can't help you with this either.

lebeau

Original Poster
You guys have been a tremendous help so far. So thanks for everything!

The big day is almost here. My brother leaves for CA this weekend! I have one (hopefully) final question for you all.

I just read Al Lutz's column yesterday and he made it sound like DL was being overrun by AP holders. Is that the case? Should my brother be prepared for big crowds this weekend? Any tips on dealing with them?

Thanks again!

Lucille

You guys have been a tremendous help so far. So thanks for everything!

The big day is almost here. My brother leaves for CA this weekend! I have one (hopefully) final question for you all.

I just read Al Lutz's column yesterday and he made it sound like DL was being overrun by AP holders. Is that the case? Should my brother be prepared for big crowds this weekend? Any tips on dealing with them?

Thanks again!

I haven't been there in a while. But I've found that on non-blackout days...AP holders tend to be there on evenings and weekends. Well, at least that's when we always went...haha. But sometimes it's hard to tell who is an AP holder and who isn't.

I say...if he's already going...then don't stress about it. Expect crowds. Then you'll be prepared if there are crowds and pleasantly surprised if there aren't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom