WDW fan goes West!!

TinkSassy

I wouldn't stay on-site unless you want a "fabulous" room. The HoJo and Tropicana are the same distance from the main gate and much cheaper.

As a WDW vet, I'd definitely do the park hopper the two work much better for planning as a pair instead of individually.

Be prepared for Space Mtn! WDW usually has FP all day, never had to fight to get one before - WOW

Ride everything! Some of the rides are so different between parks.

Food is one thing to watch - at WDW things are pretty uniform. You'll get a burger for about the same price at any counter service. I found at DL sometimes the TS restaurants were cheaper, and a CS burger could be many different prices throughout the park. It was much harder to find food - especially on a budget. That was my biggest frustration :brick:

WDW1974

I'm soooo enjoying this thread! We're slated for another WDW adventure in March but we're thinking next will be DL in Cali. Again, good to hear that the experienced WDW planner will do just fine. That said, I have some additional questions to add to the OP's list:

1. What is the best source for DL discount info? I saw all over the place the current $400 off a package thing but then started comparing the value of a discounted ticket-only + room-only discount combo. It almost seemed like I could do better with the room-only/ticket-only route. :shrug: Any tips for shopping the discounts & deals for onsite?

Mouseplanet.com has an update every Monday that covers the DLR and lists all the current discounts available on both tix and hotels.

That said, unless this is a once in a lifetime deal or money isn't an issue for you (in which case I'd stay at the Grand Californian) staying 'onsite' isn't the best plan.

You can get some amazing deals on hotels that are within walking distance of DLR, although they all have shuttles and I would strongly advise having a rental car as there's way too much to see in SoCal to simply take a DLR trip, by using Priceline.com's 'Name Your Own Price' bidding service. A friend of mine is staying at a local hotel that has been completely renovated and is 3-star caliber for $31 a night ($44 with resort fee, parking and Internet added).

I've used it and stayed at great hotels in the area, including the Marriott, Hyatt Regency and Crown Plaza. They are all very nice and a 5-minute drive away.

If you go that route, I'd advise you check out the biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com sites as they show what folks have been getting in the area and at what price points.

2. It's my understanding that the dining plans aren't really a savings so much as prepaying meals. Opinions on the usefulness of these dining plans?

Don't. It's that simple. Not enough places at DLR worth eating at to begin with and a huge amount of options surrounding the resort.

3. What websites have the best, most detailed info on the DL resorts (ie. allearsnet for WDW)?

Mouseplanet.com and Miceage.com both are great at up to the minute info. But it all depends on what you're looking for.

4. What's the closest airport to DL resort? Is it the easiest to get to/from aside from the obvious rush-hour traffic during the week?

The closest is John Wayne/Orange County. But I'd fly into LAX despite the horror stories you hear. You have many more options in flight times and 99% of the time, the prices are lower. Long Beach (right in the middle) is an option too.

Oh, and rush hour can literally be any time of the day or night on the SoCal freeways. Part of the cost of living in paradise.

5. What's the best way to get from/to the airport? Are the shuttle services good? Are taxis so stupid expensive they are not a consideration? Tips or not-so-obvious options????

Rent a car.

6. I know this is a tooootal long-shot but what the heck, right? Is there ever any possible way to get the chance to eat at Club 33 without being a member? It's my impression that non-members can be brought as guests of a member. Would it be possible to somehow find a member who would be willing to take ya or is it more complicated than that? Never hurts to dream, right? LOL!

Thanks muchly everyone! :wave:

Possible? Yes. Likely? Not at all. And I wouldn't even think about it. There's plenty at DLR to keep you entertained.

Wilt Dasney

5. What's the best way to get from/to the airport? Are the shuttle services good? Are taxis so stupid expensive they are not a consideration? Tips or not-so-obvious options????
If you opt not to rent a car, I'd suggest the Gray Line Resort Express shuttle. I used it in May-June going from and to LAX. I think they have information on the airport website if you're interested.

WDW1974

You guys have been a tremendous help so far. So thanks for everything!

The big day is almost here. My brother leaves for CA this weekend! I have one (hopefully) final question for you all.

I just read Al Lutz's column yesterday and he made it sound like DL was being overrun by AP holders. Is that the case? Should my brother be prepared for big crowds this weekend? Any tips on dealing with them?

Thanks again!

Yes. DLR will be packed over the weekend. Tips are simple and obvious. Use FP for the important attractions. When DL is packed, DCA will be less so.

And, a huge one, USE single-rider lines for Soarin, Screamin and TSMM at DCA and Splash Mountain at DL. I've often walked on Splash, for instance, when the wait time was two hours or more. They used to offer it on Indy, but I don't believe they do anymore (at least I didn't see it when I was there last month).

Other tips would be to not miss Mansion Holiday, the Fantasyland dark rides that are so much better than what is offered at WDW, Aladdin at DCA and small things like the castle walk-thru.

Also, make sure to get FP for things like Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy etc.

And for a great meal at fair prices, try Wine Country Trattoria at DCA. Dining on the terrace is great.

Lucille

Mouseplanet.com has an update every Monday that covers the DLR and lists all the current discounts available on both tix and hotels.

That said, unless this is a once in a lifetime deal or money isn't an issue for you (in which case I'd stay at the Grand Californian) staying 'onsite' isn't the best plan.

You can get some amazing deals on hotels that are within walking distance of DLR, although they all have shuttles and I would strongly advise having a rental car as there's way too much to see in SoCal to simply take a DLR trip, by using Priceline.com's 'Name Your Own Price' bidding service. A friend of mine is staying at a local hotel that has been completely renovated and is 3-star caliber for $31 a night ($44 with resort fee, parking and Internet added).

I've used it and stayed at great hotels in the area, including the Marriott, Hyatt Regency and Crown Plaza. They are all very nice and a 5-minute drive away.

If you go that route, I'd advise you check out the biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com sites as they show what folks have been getting in the area and at what price points.

Don't. It's that simple. Not enough places at DLR worth eating at to begin with and a huge amount of options surrounding the resort.

Mouseplanet.com and Miceage.com both are great at up to the minute info. But it all depends on what you're looking for.

The closest is John Wayne/Orange County. But I'd fly into LAX despite the horror stories you hear. You have many more options in flight times and 99% of the time, the prices are lower. Long Beach (right in the middle) is an option too.

Oh, and rush hour can literally be any time of the day or night on the SoCal freeways. Part of the cost of living in paradise.

Rent a car.

Possible? Yes. Likely? Not at all. And I wouldn't even think about it. There's plenty at DLR to keep you entertained.

For us, if SNA is more expensive than LAX (which is sometimes is, sometimes isn't) it's worth it. For us, our time is worth something. The short drive to and from SNA isn't bad at all. Also, getting in and out of SNA is so much nicer since it's a small airport.

But that's just me.

lebeau

Original Poster
Yes. DLR will be packed over the weekend. Tips are simple and obvious. Use FP for the important attractions. When DL is packed, DCA will be less so.

And, a huge one, USE single-rider lines for Soarin, Screamin and TSMM at DCA and Splash Mountain at DL. I've often walked on Splash, for instance, when the wait time was two hours or more. They used to offer it on Indy, but I don't believe they do anymore (at least I didn't see it when I was there last month).

Other tips would be to not miss Mansion Holiday, the Fantasyland dark rides that are so much better than what is offered at WDW, Aladdin at DCA and small things like the castle walk-thru.

Also, make sure to get FP for things like Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy etc.

And for a great meal at fair prices, try Wine Country Trattoria at DCA. Dining on the terrace is great.

Great stuff! Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom