WDW Falling apart??

GeorgiaPinesRJB

OH YES really!!!!! :confused:
come on man :(

No, you come on.

Comparing my disdain for what appeared to be a troll-ish post (and I still think it is) to the tactics of Senator Joseph McCarthy are really, really unfair. In fact, it's apples and oranges. Please, next time, save your hackneyed attempt to overlay historical context or analogies to ones that are appropriate.

The OP's post appeared to be trolling or flame-baiting, in just the way it was worded and with the lack of punctuation (never mind the fact that they have been silent since posting) and an attempt to play into the doom and gloomers here that act like WDW is a third world country. Yes, we all know things are broken and some rides need sprucing up, but acting like the entire infrastructure is crumbling is just silly. And personally, I'm tired of seeing that level on negativity.

MerlinTheGoat

We were there a week in September and everything was working, no lightbulbs were out and didn't see any chipped paint nor any ride delays... :)
Did you check the Grand Floridian? As of February there were massive quantities of light bulbs out on the outside of the hotel. There's hundreds of popcorn lights adorning the buildings and it's extremely noticeable and tacky when a huge number of them are burned out (not talking one or two out of every fifty, there can be dozens among about 50 burned out). I don't know how Main Street looks now, the facades received refurbs over the course of the past year or two but I don't know whether this included new lights (whether traditional incandescent or newer LEDs that they've been trying to adapt towards).

Couldn't this list be considered just a personal opinion? I think so.
No. Martin is a well respected insider here, he even has an amazing blog with incredible documentation on the history of WDW and other Disney parks around the globe. He knows when something is better and when something is worse. How you could think any of these aspects haven't made the WDW experience worse or stagnant is beyond me. People know him not to be one to troll anyone, he just calls the facts as he sees them. If you don't agree with him, that's your problem. But his conclusions is all comprised of objective evidence.

No, you come on.

Comparing my disdain for what appeared to be a troll-ish post (and I still think it is) to the tactics of Senator Joseph McCarthy are really, really unfair. In fact, it's apples and oranges. Please, next time, save your hackneyed attempt to overlay historical context or analogies to ones that are appropriate.

The OP's post appeared to be trolling or flame-baiting, in just the way it was worded and with the lack of punctuation (never mind the fact that they have been silent since posting) and an attempt to play into the doom and gloomers here that act like WDW is a third world country. Yes, we all know things are broken and some rides need sprucing up, but acting like the entire infrastructure is crumbling is just silly. And personally, I'm tired of seeing that level on negativity.
Nothing about the original post should be capable of inflaming or trolling anyone other than the people responsible for putting WDW in the state it is today. No one is attacking you or WDW, most people here are massive fans of the place. It's attacking those who continually try to degenerate the place into a cheaper experience, those running the company and the parks and deliberately make cuts to the customer experience. And that is perfectly reasonable and in fact a good thing to complain about. Why you'd read some sort of direct attack at you into the original post is just beyond me. The post is directed at people in control of the Disney corporation and park management.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Nothing about the original post should be capable of inflaming or trolling anyone other than the people responsible for putting WDW in the state it is today. No one is attacking you or WDW, most people here are massive fans of the place. It's attacking those who continually try to degenerate the place into a cheaper experience, those running the company and the parks and deliberately make cuts to the customer experience. And that is perfectly reasonable and in fact a good thing to complain about. If you take offense or roll your eyes at that, I have no clue why.

Well I disagree, they may be valid complaints but there were already threads discussing this and it was written in a juvenile way and it's done ad nauseum around here and quite annoying. That's why I roll my eyes at it. Sorry YOU have a problem with my annoyance.

MerlinTheGoat

Well I disagree, they may be valid complaints but there were already threads discussing this and it was written in a juvenile way and it's done ad nauseum around here and quite annoying. That's why I roll my eyes at it. Sorry YOU have a problem with my annoyance.
I don't see why you'd be annoyed or think he's trying to troll you, that's the problem. People are noticing problems with WDW, they want to express their feelings about it. Nothing wrong with that. There is something inherently wrong with feeling offended or irritated at these threads though. And frankly, I do not get it. I still fail to see what about this topic was intended to directly attack anyone here. I see no trolling.

Tom Morrow

Agreed, but on my last trip to DL both HM and Splash were down on the same day. We were only there for a day and did DCA in the evening so they may have been back later that day or the next day. Even the best of parks have ride outages. It's just part of the business, but I admit it's highly disappointing if it happens on your trip.
No no no. We're not talking about rides shutting down. Half the time or more, that is a guest's fault anyway. I'm talking about show quality, and how every single ride at Disneyland looks, feels, and sounds as if it opened yesterday.

And many other things, but this is specifically about rides falling apart.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't see why you'd be annoyed or think he's trying to troll you, that's the problem. People are noticing problems with WDW, they want to express their feelings about it. Nothing wrong with that. There is something inherently wrong with feeling offended or irritated at these threads though. And frankly, I do not get it. I still fail to see what about this topic was intended to directly attack anyone here. I see no trolling.
Yet the word "troll" has been used 18 times so far in this thread! :D

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I never said he was trying to troll me and I didn't take it personally. Trolling doesn't have to be personal, but it can be collectively trolling the forums (which I think it was an attempt to do). I just felt if the OP needed to add their $0.02, then there are already threads about this topic and it seemed, to me, to be blatant trolling or flame-baiting. I said repeatedly that I have no problems people addressing issues, but most of what the OP posted were already being discussed elsewhere and the way things were worded and punctuated (or lack there of) reeked of trolldom. Am I not entitled to my opinion in thinking this was a troll?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I never said he was trying to troll me and I didn't take it personally. Trolling doesn't have to be personal, but it can be collectively trolling the forums (which I think it was an attempt to do). I just felt if the OP needed to add their $0.02, then there are already threads about this topic and it seemed, to me, to be blatant trolling or flame-baiting. I said repeatedly that I have no problems people addressing issues, but most of what the OP posted were already being discussed elsewhere and the way things were worded and punctuated (or lack there of) reeked of trolldom. Am I not entitled to my opinion in thinking this was a troll?
Troll hunting is best left to the professionals ;)
32759-147079-elmerfuddshhhhjpg-620x.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

You're entitled to think however you like. I'm simply completely failing to see how the OP was trying to bait anyone. There was nothing insulting and i'm not seeing what could have set ANYONE off here. Unlike this thread for instance where the poster starts a discussion and directly attacks anyone on the forum who criticizes Disney and calls them liars (without provocation in the very first post)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/jimmy-thicks-state-of-the-parks-oct-20-31.854377/

THAT is trolling.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

You're entitled to think however you like. I'm simply completely failing to see how the OP was trying to bait anyone. There was nothing insulting and i'm not seeing what could have set ANYONE off here. Unlike this thread for instance where the poster starts a discussion and directly attacks anyone on the forum who criticizes Disney and calls them liars (without provocation in the very first post)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/jimmy-thicks-state-of-the-parks-oct-20-31.854377/

THAT is trolling.

Now we are just quibbling over semantics.

FrankLapidus

Less than 10% I'd say. The 90% + is fact. Of those I'd be happy to elaborate on any specifics you wish to discuss.

If I could ask one thing, how minimal is the maintenance on the Peoplemover? I love that attraction and spend a lot of time on it each holiday and it always seems in good shape.

scout68

No, you come on.

The mere fact that I know what McCarthyism WAS and what it meant should have clued you in that my statement was said in jest :p. You need to lighten up. You may very well be the most negative thang on this thread. Peace man........and down with communism!

MerlinTheGoat

Now we are just quibbling over semantics.
Not at all. Trolling is specifically any post deliberately meant to inflame people and provoke others into responding inappropriately. Absolutely nothing in the original post of this thread comes across as provocation in any way. I do not see what you're reading to come to that conclusion...

The thread I linked to however has several direct attacks towards members in general here who have expressed any sort of dissatisfaction at how WDW is run, and accuses them of lying. The same poster has also posted several inflammatory messages in the "Cameron approves" thread in news and rumors, directly and specifically attacking respectable members such as Lee and saying they're lying. Again, that is trolling. Direct attacks intended to provoke people, irrelevant and offtopic (kind of like how this discussion has now veered off due to accusing this topic poster of being a troll).

If I could ask one thing, how minimal is the maintenance on the Peoplemover? I love that attraction and spend a lot of time on it each holiday and it always seems in good shape.
Every time I visit WDW I ride the Peoplemover several times non-stop. The cast members tend to be very nice about it due to how efficient the ride is (they let me stay on unless there's a long line, which is rare). Love the ride to death and it's a great way to rest and take in the view. I would be monumentally ticked off if it were ever closed down for good. There are problems however. Most of the seats are very torn up. Some of the lights are (or were, as of February) burned out. Both vehicles and walls throughout are rather dirty and scuffed up looking in parts. I expect Martin could list some other specifics. The state of the seats was most noticeable to me, if its torn in a place that touches your skin it can be a bit uncomfortable when it rubs up against you. I don't know how many vehicles are like this but i'd often get one that was in pretty bad shape.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

The mere fact that I know what McCarthyism WAS and what it meant should have clued you in that my statement was said in jest :p. You need to lighten up. You may very well be the most negative thang on this thread. Peace man........and down with communism!

Congrats, you paid attention in civics.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Not at all. Trolling is specifically any post deliberately meant to inflame people and provoke others into responding inappropriately. Absolutely nothing in the original post of this thread comes across as provocation in any way. I do not see what you're reading to come to that conclusion...

And I took the original post to be as such, that was my initial reaction and still what I think it was. Again, my opinion. So yes, we are arguing over what you feel is trolling and what I feel are trolling. If you don't like the conclusion I came to, then I'm sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom