WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

raven

You have serious issues with Disney and all of their decisions.

In any case, they are still losing money because those items do have a cost to them.
Sorry, I don't drink their Kool-Aid. I don't think it will hurt them to actually loose some money with the price they charge for everything right now.

21stamps

Sorry, I don't drink their Kool-Aid. I don't think it will hurt them to actually loose some money with the price they charge for everything right now.
So you've never ran a race, you would never run a race, you don't know the logistics of a race..
BUT-
You know that Disney is completely wrong and massively greedy in how they offered Refunds in a race that was advertised as "Non Refundable" and signed off on as such by the participants.

Extreme Greed right there.

Got it.

raven

So you've never ran a race, you would never run a race, you don't know the logistics of a race..
BUT-
You know that Disney is completely wrong and massively greedy in how they offered Refunds in a race that was advertised as "Non Refundable" and signed off on as such by the participants.

Extreme Greed right there.

Got it.
I said I don't pay to run. Never said I don't know anything about races did I?

Extreme Ignorance right there.

Got it.

NearTheEars

Other races don't have anything to do with these Disney boards, do they? No.

This is a marathon operated by Run Disney and I think it is fair to compare them to other companies that offer similar events in cities and venues throughout country. Many of those companies do not offer any refunds for cancelled events. Run Disney has announced that they will offer compensation, unlike their industry counterparts (Yes, marathons and 5Ks have become a huge industry).

It's amazing that even this can be spun negative lol. Like it was some master scheme to take people's money.

They would have banked much, much, much more by just rolling the dice and running the race. Then there would have been zero gift cards, park tickets or deferred entry to future races handed out.

I don't really know what else to say.

There's plenty to be angry about when it comes to the operation of WDW, this isn't it.

ETA: it is worth clarifying that yes Run Disney as a whole is built to profit from people, unlike charity races. But canceling races and offering compensation hurts that mission.

Last edited:

raven

This is a marathon operated by Run Disney and I think it is fair to compare them to other companies that offer similar events in cities and venues throughout country. Many of those companies do not offer any refunds for cancelled events. Run Disney has announced that they will offer compensation, unlike their industry counterparts (Yes, marathons and 5Ks have become a huge industry).

It's amazing that even this can be spun negative lol. Like it was some master scheme to take people's money.

They would have banked much, much, much more by just rolling the dice and running the race. Then there would have been zero gift cards, park tickets or deferred entry to future races handed out.

I don't really know what else to say.

There's plenty to be angry about when it comes to the operation of WDW, this isn't it.
Those other companies don't have their own resorts and hotels, restaurants, transportation and entertainment do they? Everything in which to pull more and more money from any guest who steps foot on their property? Disney isn't loosing much considering those runners are most likely already spending hundreds of dollars just to be there without running the race. It's hardly a comparison to any other race.

Tony the Tigger

I don't think you know what entitlement means. Being upset that something you trained for was cancelled the night before is entitled?

Nnnnno.

This is:

You're not getting a refund. You get a gift card. There's a meaningful difference.
The park hopper is useless to me - I'm never returning to WDW. This was my first visit since the introduction of NGE/FP+ and I feel 100% justified in my decision. Disneyland tickets I would consider. I also have access to a few comp tickets a year if I want them.
The deferral I'm also not interested in for much the same reason - I suppose if I could use the credit towards an entire weekend instead of just one race it would be ok. I'm not traveling from CT to Anaheim for just one race.
And obviously the marathon transfer is useless to me.

So no, I don't think they are generous at all.

21stamps

Those other companies don't have their own resorts and hotels, restaurants, transportation and entertainment do they? Everything in which to pull more and more money from any guest who steps foot on their property? Disney isn't loosing much considering those runners are most likely already spending hundreds of dollars just to be there without running the race. It's hardly a comparison to any other race.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think people normally do when they travel for a race?

Does Boston and Chicago and every other city provide free flights and hotels to runners?

Traveling for running is not cheap. People go in with their eyes open.

I said I don't pay to run. Never said I don't know anything about races did I?

Extreme Ignorance right there.

Got it.

If you don't pay then you've never signed a waiver. Unless you were sponsored, in which case you still in fact sign a waiver.

21stamps

On a more positive note-

Has anyone posted about the full?

Does Disney give stickers after completion?
That's more important to me than a medal.lol

NearTheEars

I'm only talking about the race organization itself and the entry fee.

Hotel accommodations, park tickets etc. where all paid for separately and utilized just like any other paying guest on vacation.

Now clearly whether or not they got their money's worth for that is a subject for another thread.

raven

Just out of curiosity, what do you think people normally do when they travel for a race?

Does Boston and Chicago and every other city provide free flights and hotels to runners?

Traveling for running is not cheap.
You missed my point. Yes, they do have to pay for travel, hotels, food, and other expenses. But does the company who's putting on the race get all of those expenses from their runners too? No. Just Disney, and they aren't "loosing" anything, especially when they give them a gift card to spend on everything Disney while they are there. The money was never lost.

peter11435

Giving Gift Cards keeps ALL of that money in Disney. And if they were there to run they have ALREADY paid for many other items for the weekend. This makes the user of the card want to spend it right away on ADDITIONAL things but yes, essentially this way it still belongs to Disney.
But it's NOT all profit for Disney. whatever people choose to use there gift cards on will have a cost to Disney. Yes they are keeping the money from the marathon fee but they are also giving products and services in return when guests use those gift cards.

Some people may spend it on additional things but imagine many/most won't. They will use it for dining or merch they would have purchased anyway. Or they will use it to pay for their hotel charges or towards a future stay at another race event.

21stamps

You missed my point. Yes, they do have to pay for travel, hotels, food, and other expenses. But does the company who's putting on the race get all of those expenses from their runners too? No. Just Disney, and they aren't "loosing" anything, especially when they give them a gift card to spend on everything Disney while they are there. The money was never lost.
So the people staying on Disney property, and even those who are not, probably combined the race with a WDW trip..meaning visits to the parks because they wanted to. That has nothing to do with the race itself. The people were still able to enjoy the parks.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing once again, and I'm not sure if you know what your point is.
I don't know what Disney did to you that made you so extremely jaded. I just hope someday you find peace with it. Or- just cut the clearly horrendous subject out of your life.

21stamps

But it's NOT all profit for Disney. whatever people choose to use there gift cards on will have a cost to Disney. Yes they are keeping the money from the marathon fee but they are also giving products and services in return when guests use those gift cards.

Some people may spend it on additional things but imagine many/most won't. They will use it for dining or merch they would have purchased anyway. Or they will use it to pay for their hotel charges or towards a future stay at another race event.

Or apply it to their current room charges. Which would basically equal a cash refund.

I don't think everyone is running out and buying something that they wouldn't have otherwise.
Totally assuming here- but I'd think the majority would use it on something they already had planned, or already charged to the room.

NearTheEars

I'm assuming the food, merch, hotel construction, maintenance and CM salaries cost them something to provide the services purchased with the gift cards.

Anyway. Like I said earlier there's plenty of other things to complain about when it comes to WDW and this isn't one of them.

So this will serve as my dramatic exit, agree to disagree, blah blah blah walking away from the argument post.

Kman101

Raven if you work for Disney which I feel like you do and you hate the company that much you find any reason to bash them (and no I don't drink the kook aid either) why work for them? I'm just curious.

raven

I'm assuming the food, merch, hotel construction, maintenance and CM salaries cost them something to provide the services purchased with the gift cards.
Those CMs, services and merchandise are there anyway. It's part of the daily expense, whether there are 1,000 people in a park or 40,000.
So the people staying on Disney property, and even those who are not, probably combined the race with a WDW trip..meaning visits to the parks because they wanted to. That has nothing to do with the race itself. The people were still able to enjoy the parks.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing once again, and I'm not sure if you know what your point is.
I don't know what Disney did to you that made you so extremely jaded. I just hope someday you find peace with it. Or- just cut the clearly horrendous subject out of your life.
So thousands and thousands of people all "just happened to take a vacation" here at the exact same time in the middle of January every year making it one of the busiest weekends of the year for Disney? Yeah, they are all only coming for the parks because no other time of the year in their schedule is available.:cautious:

Seems to me that you are drinking the Disney Kool-Aid too much and are simply trying to defend every member who opposes something they do. You are looking for drama because you like it. You don't know me, who I am or what the reason behind my thinking is. But I'm not a dreamer who caught up in some magical spell by a company who's origins where, at one point, exactly that. I'm a realist who sees what they have become and the extent of the facods they put up to hide their corporate greed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom