WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

Texas84

It appears so many folks woke up and ran their 13.1 on the grounds of their Resort!! Congrats to all.

And it seems spectators were out cheering, made make shift water stations, and played music. Reports from CBR and BC even said CMs cranked the pool music up so it could be heard for morning runners.

The options runDisney gave were very nice indeed.

If you are a positive person and got out there to run, I'm sure it was a terrific morning. Congratulations!

That is awesome. Bet it was fun. I think I might have enjoyed that as much as the regular half.

DrewmanS

That is awesome. Bet it was fun. I think I might have enjoyed that as much as the regular half.
I was one of the runners this morning. There had to be several hundred running between Coronado Spings and All Star Resorts. Many more just running around the resort parking lots or Coronado Springs lake. Runners were all smiles and encouraging each other. Pockets of spectators cheering us on. By All Star Music a man and his young son were handing out water bottles. Later Disney cast members brought out more water bottles. People took turns handing them out. I joined them after my run.

While I was disappointed they had to cancel the half marathon, I was glad I ran when the weather cleared a bit (it continued to rain off and on with occasional lightning). The comradely of runners and support of spectators made for a special "event". That, and I can say I earned my medal!

VJ

Everyone knows my opinions about how TWDC runs WDW,

That said being a runner registered for this event and I'll miss actually running the half, My volunteer work with county and state emergency management says Disney made the absolutely correct decision in cancelling the race as a single lightning strike could injure or kill hundreds of runners, volunteers and Cast Members and the opportunity to run a 20 the anniversary event is simply NOT WORTH the risk involved.

And the light show last night and this morning from Mother Nature would have put the setup workers at extreme risk. No race is worth someone's life

Yes the gift card is a bit lame but since Disney will also allow one to do another runDisney half marathon race in the next 24 months at no charge I think that's more than fair especially considering in the contract Disney is under no contractural obligation to refund ANYTHING in the event of cancellation.
That moment when even the resident curmudgeon is defending Disney...

alphac2005

Having run many races, we've dealt with inclement weather anything from pouring rain (no lightning), snow, and temperatures in the mid-teens to cancelled races. Disney was quite fair with what they've done as I've never had compensation for a race that was cancelled or being held when the weather was so lousy where many would not want to race based on the awful weather.

I also understand the disappoint for many as us runners come from all over to do races. My wife and I considered going down to do this one and I guess that worked out not opting to do it! :)

Simba's Mom

Airlines take notice! When they cancel a flight due to weather problems, the passengers get nothing. And every time it's happened to us, we've had to foot the bill for the overnight hotel, if a cancelled flight meant an overnight hotel stay. So the fact that Disney is giving something-a gift card- is so much more than we're expecting. The cancellation wasn't Disney's fault ("Mechanical problems"), but weather-related.

NearTheEars

There are hours and hours of preparation that go in overnight in areas that are unsheltered. if the lightning persists through the evening, there's no way to complete that work safely - even with a 90 minute delay.

It seems like that fact has been lost on some. Well, just one person really.
It's doesn't just magically set itself up. It's not as easy as just runners showing up.
Oh, well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here is a great example of why Disney cancelled.

1 bolt of lightning, 300 dead reindeer.
37ADB30200000578-3763329-Some_323_dead_wild_reindeers_struck_by_lightning_are_seen_litter-a-10_1472473296718.jpg

Now imagine that along World Drive with people instead of reindeer.

It is terribly unfortunate that so many have to die just so we get the occasional super-powered reindeer that can fly or glow.

Figment82

I ran in my neighborhood this morning, with on and off downpours and a few lightning strikes. I was soaked to the bone by the end, but I got it done! Went and picked up my gift card and medal this afternoon. Enjoyed a celebratory meal at GF Cafe (courtesy of runDisney ;)) and wore my medal proudly.

I love reading the stories of people turning a bad situation into a positive experience. The photos and stories of the hundreds of runners around WDW and the surrounding area who made their own half marathons are just plain awesome. Major props to everyone who got out there and made it happen! And good luck to everyone running the full tomorrow!

Kman101

I rarely get away from news and rumors and don't see signatures so I had no idea about Unkadug! So sad :( one of my favorite posters. I was wondering about the picture too. Aw man :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom