WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

raven

Why is the gift card option lame?
Because Disney is keeping their money, not offering a full refund. If it were $50 we are talking about them that would be fine. But $200 is a big chunk of money to loose.

Airlines take notice! When they cancel a flight due to weather problems, the passengers get nothing. And every time it's happened to us, we've had to foot the bill for the overnight hotel, if a cancelled flight meant an overnight hotel stay. So the fact that Disney is giving something-a gift card- is so much more than we're expecting. The cancellation wasn't Disney's fault ("Mechanical problems"), but weather-related.
You CAN get something if you know how to do it. Even when an airline is delayed you can file for a "inconvenience grievance" with the right people.

Kman101

Don't you have to sign a waiver though? And doesn't it state no refunds? They didn't have to actually give anything back or do anything but they did.

I'm really sorry folks lost a lot of their money and their time and planning and many flew in for it but weather is weather. Life happens. It sucks but sounds like most everyone made the best of it.

And before anyone says anything, yes of course Disney can afford to offer full refunds, but as Mom pointed out, lots of that money goes towards things for the race. It's already spent. Not an excuse, just how it goes.

NearTheEars

Because Disney is keeping their money, not offering a full refund. If it were $50 we are talking about them that would be fine. But $200 is a big chunk of money to loose.

You CAN get something if you know how to do it. Even when an airline is delayed you can file for a "inconvenience grievance" with the right people.

I thought it was awful at first until several runners stepped up and said that normal practice when a race is cancelled is little or no refund. A few even called what WDW is doing generous.

Admittedly I have zero experience with races, so I'll take their word for it.

raven

I thought it was awful at first until several runners stepped up and said that normal practice when a race is cancelled is little or no refund. A few even called what WDW is doing generous.

Admittedly I have zero experience with races, so I'll take their word for it.
With Disney there is ALWAYS some kind of a kickback for them though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But if they give you your full entry fee back in a gift card, assuming you're likely a Disney fan... wouldn't it make no difference? You'd still eventually spend it on Disney.

runDisney fans are not necessarily Disney parks or merchandise fans, yes there is an overlap but many runDisney runners choose participate because of the great vibe the organizers foster,

With the exception of the Beat the Blerch and Bay to Breakers there are damn few marathons which feel like 5k holiday fun runs

21stamps

Can you name a race that doesn't have such a waiver?
We do the Flying Pig every year. Luckily it's never been cancelled, but I assure you that there is a waiver stating that if it would be cancelled- there will not be a refund.

Disney was being generous. I'm sure they lost money in this situation. Sometimes an event has to be cancelled, it's unfortunate for all parties involved.

Anyway, did any 13.1 people decide to do the 26.2? I'm anxious to hear. Great job to anyone who ran themselves when the half was cancelled, and to anyone who did the full!

raven

Can you name a race that doesn't have such a waiver?
We do the Flying Pig every year. Luckily it's never been cancelled, but I assure you that there is a waiver stating that if it would be cancelled- there will not be a refund.

Disney was being generous. I'm sure they lost money in this situation. Sometimes an event has to be cancelled, it's unfortunate for all parties involved.
I don't "pay to run" so I can really care less if people loose their money on such an event. But as a company goes and for an example, the Disney 1/2 Marathon pulled in over 25,000 people a few years ago. At $200/person that's $5 MILLION dollars. It's pretty crappy that Disney would just keep all of that money due to bad weather. A few years ago it snowed during the 1/2 and they still went on. And as another member has stated, runDisney participants are not all Disney fan. Some come for the race and could actually care less about the parks.

21stamps

I don't "pay to run" so I can really care less if people loose their money on such an event. But as a company goes and for an example, the Disney 1/2 Marathon pulled in over 25,000 people a few years ago. At $200/person that's $5 MILLION dollars. It's pretty crappy that Disney would just keep all of that money due to bad weather. A few years ago it snowed during the 1/2 and they still went on. And as another member has stated, runDisney participants are not all Disney fan. Some come for the race and could actually care less about the parks.

People who do "pay to run" realize that there is always a chance of cancellation...and that they signed a refund away.

Snow isn't a big deal. Up north we have winter races. I have ran on Thanksgiving morning in extreme cold and rain. I've ran when it's snowing, I hate it, and not often, but I know plenty of serious runners who do. I am not a serious die hard runner, my sister is. They can all have a blast in the cold and snow..I'll drink my coffee and cheer them on..sometimes from home.lol I'll stick to my small races and once a year events. You'll never catch me in a 100 mile event or an overnight relay.

(ETA- and the non Disney fans that you're concerned with.. I doubt they're staying in a deluxe resort if they don't care about Disney. There is extremely reasonably priced lodging in Orlando, including Disney Value resorts.
If these people pay for races across the country then they are already accustomed to paying for hotels in whatever city they are visiting. )

Point is- Cold. Rain. Snow. These are not life threatening weather conditions.
Lightening is life threatening.

Not if you read that thread.
I was heavily involved in it.

The sarcasm is strong in that one yessss....

I was hoping it was!

Last edited:

peter11435

You act like that $5 million is all profit. There are a lot of costs involved in planning, setting up, and operating the event. Just because the race is cancelled doesn't mean Disney did not incur most of those expected costs.

Additionally they are not simply keeping your money. Giving $5 million in gift cards out is not free since those cards will be used for products that had a cost and or for products/services they would have made additional revenue on.

Snow and lightning are two very different things. It wasn't a blizzard. A few snow flakes isn't going to kill anyone.

raven

Additionally they are not simply keeping your money. Giving $5 million in gift cards out is not free since those cards will be used for products that had a cost and or for products/services they would have made additional revenue on.
Giving Gift Cards keeps ALL of that money in Disney. And if they were there to run they have ALREADY paid for many other items for the weekend. This makes the user of the card want to spend it right away on ADDITIONAL things but yes, essentially this way it still belongs to Disney.

NearTheEars

Giving Gift Cards keeps ALL of that money in Disney. And if they were there to run they have ALREADY paid for many other items for the weekend. This makes the user of the card want to spend it right away on ADDITIONAL things but yes, essentially this way it still belongs to Disney.

What are your thoughts on all other running event companies? I assume the same or worse since as it's been said, many offer no refund at all.

21stamps

You have serious issues with Disney and all of their decisions.

In any case, they are still losing money because those items do have a cost to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom