WDW begins to prepare for Charlie, possible park closures for friday...

Piebald

I live in South FL and right now it's nice and breezy. I'm not too worried about this at all. I was in Andrew and this is nothing compared to it. Andrew was a mess. I'm glad they closed AK. I remember when animals escaped from MetroZoo and there were exotic animals all over Miami. It's supposed to start raining soon. Like everyone else said, I only get nervous if there are Tornados. Hurricane's can knock over your house and break windows....maybe knock some trees down here and there... but a Tornado will pick your house up and poof! You're dead :sohappy:

Good luck to all you folks

Atta83

Just got off the phone with Dave and he said that they just made the announcement at the MK that it will be closing at one.

Testtrack321

Animal Kingdom is closed today to get all the small birds and other animals inside and safe. My guess is hat all the parks will be manned to stop flooding and damage to the parks. It's possable that the Tree of Life MIGHT get damaged since the leaves can only stand 60mph winds.

Be safe guys!

WDWEric

Good Luck Everybody Down There!!

Hey TestTrack321 Top Thrill Dragster is awesome....how can you have Rock'n'Rollercoaster above Raptor and Magnum Come on!!:)

brisem

Walt Disney World in Florida Closes as Storm Approaches
August 13, 2004: 12:34 a.m. EST

- Dow Jones Newswires
NEW YORK -- Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) Walt Disney World theme park in Orlando, Fla., said it would close early Friday for the second time in the park's history because of an approaching hurricane.

Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios and two other parks are set to close at 1 p.m. EDT, while Disney Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney didn't open at all Friday.

Hurricane Charley with wind gusts up to 110 miles per hour has been approaching the coast of Florida and was expected to touch land Friday afternoon or evening. The Orange County Sheriff's department asked that residents be off the roads by 3 p.m. Friday, and Disney wants to give its guest and workers enough time to be off the streets by then, said Walt Disney World spokeswoman Jacquee Polak.

The Walt Disney World Resort hotels in and around the parks remained open through the storm while guests at its Wilderness Resort & Campground were being relocated to other hotels on the property.

The last time Walt Disney World closed because of a storm was when Hurricane Floyd hit in 1999. Walt Disney World and Disneyland in California both closed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Guests were alerted to the closing and abbreviated park hours and accommodations are being made for them to return to the park Saturday, according to Ms. Polak. She declined to say whether guest received discounted admissions Friday and whether those paying would be allowed to enter for free on Saturday.

Walt Disney World could average revenue of about $14 million to $15 million a day in the current fiscal fourth quarter, said Tradition Asiel Securities analyst Paul Kim. For the fiscal third quarter ended June 30, Disney said its theme-park revenue rose 32% to $2.3 billion and operating income rose 20% to $ 421 million. Mr. Kim said Walt Disney World contributed 80% to 90% of that operating income growth.

- Dwight Oestricher, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5266; dwight.oestricher@ dowjones.com

Dow Jones Newswires 08-13-04 1234ET Copyright (C) 2004 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Testtrack321

WDWEric said:
Good Luck Everybody Down There!!

Hey TestTrack321 Top Thrill Dragster is awesome....how can you have Rock'n'Rollercoaster above Raptor and Magnum Come on!!:)

Theme, and the fact that it didn't make me as dizzy as Raptor, so it's above it. I'm still refining the list since I just went to Cedar Point and rode it just a little while ago.

WDWScottieBoy said:
Living in IL I see my fair share of tornadoes and the damage they cause. I actually witnessed my first live tornado this year, and was the actual spotter for it too which saved many lives I'm sure. It was the coolest yet freakiest thing I have ever seen in my life. I still would love to witness a hurricane though...especially in WDW!

that makes to of us natural devistation is really scary.... I was in a Earth quake 7 on the richter scale that was pretty freaky.... but the thing about a hurricane it that you know it's coming so it usually builds the fear... Earth quakes just happen which is easier to handle becauseit's happens then it's over

Angie

tigger248

TheDisneyQueen said:
that makes to of us natural devistation is really scary.... I was in a Earth quake 7 on the richter scale that was pretty freaky.... but the thing about a hurricane it that you know it's coming so it usually builds the fear... Earth quakes just happen which is easier to handle becauseit's happens then it's over

Angie

Earth quakes and tornadoes just happen which to me makes them scarier (then again we have tornadoes here and don't have hurricanes so I may be a bit biased). You have no time to prepare and often don't have enough time to get to safety. That is one of the factors that can make them so deadly. You can't stop the destruction with a hurricane, but at least you have some warning that it's headed your way and you can try to secure your home and get yourself to a safer place. We've had tornado warnings and never even known it before because if for some reason you don't hear the sirens, you never know. (Those sirens aren't very loud and if it happens at night and you're sleeping, there really is a good chance you won't hear it.) I literally had a funnel cloud on top of me a couple months ago and I never knew it (although I did know we had a tornado warning).

disnyfan89

tigger248 said:
Earth quakes and tornadoes just happen which to me makes them scarier (then again we have tornadoes here and don't have hurricanes so I may be a bit biased). You have no time to prepare and often don't have enough time to get to safety. That is one of the factors that can make them so deadly. You can't stop the destruction with a hurricane, but at least you have some warning that it's headed your way and you can try to secure your home and get yourself to a safer place. We've had tornado warnings and never even known it before because if for some reason you don't hear the sirens, you never know. (Those sirens aren't very loud and if it happens at night and you're sleeping, there really is a good chance you won't hear it.) I literally had a funnel cloud on top of me a couple months ago and I never knew it (although I did know we had a tornado warning).
I was 15 and 5 minutes away from a twister friday!!!

WDWEric

Testtrack321 said:
Theme, and the fact that it didn't make me as dizzy as Raptor, so it's above it. I'm still refining the list since I just went to Cedar Point and rode it just a little while ago.
I love when I was in line for Rock'n'Rollercoaster and people were freaked out about the launch and how fast it was, It was nothing compared to TTD or Wicked Twister they are all great in there own right I guess!!

indigo

That reminds me of the time I went to Universal Studios Hollywood a few days after the Northridge Quake. I wanted to have a no-stress day after dealing with all the aftershocks, etc. So I see some shows, eat some popcorn, then get on the tram ride... of course, I forgot that the tram goes right through 'earthquake: the ride'. I was very nervous not wanting to relive the experience from a few days prior. As it turns out Hollywood's version of an 8.0 earthquake was safe and tame compared to actually living through a 6.9 quake. It did turn out to be a big stress relief in the end.

I imagine the folks who live through a hurricane or a twister have a similar experience at USF's Twister or a flood at Disney MGM, etc...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom