WDW at thanks giving

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just had to reschedule our trip back a few months till late Nov-Dec, looks like we will be there over Thanks Giving, given this holiday is unique to you folks in the former colony is there anything I should factor into my trip planning.

Oh Mrs Sak opted to go to see the lights, Id have rather had a more cultural visit during the Food N Wine festival so if its a bad time to visit shes copping the blame.

RiversideBunny

There's not really much special going on at WDW during Thanksgiving week, except that you might want to be sure to have an ADR for a sit down lunch or dinner on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.

A lot of the restaurants book early because of the special meals they offer.
Turkey, dressing, etc.

:king:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The is one big pro and one big con to that weekend. The pro is that all the Christmas decorations are up and all the Christmas activities are in full swing. The con is that 4 day weekend is super crowded so plan accordingly.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

How long a trip is it going to be?

what others have said is right, Thanksgiving is one of the busiest periods opf the year, specifically from Wednesday 26 Nov, through Sunday 30 Nov will be cuh-razy. If your vacation plans afford you more time than those 5 days, try to get your park touring in on the other days. And during those 5 days, do the sorts of things most vacationers WON'T be doing, because they'll be trying to cram as much time in the parks as possible. If you like renting boats to go around the Lagoon, or watching movies at Fort Wilderness, or other recreational activities, or lounging poolside, those will be the prime days to do it. I'd also suggest renting a car, at least during that part of your stay (I'm sure you know there's an Alamo/National Car Care Rental Center near the entrance of the Magic Kingdom; even if you don't want to rent a car from the airport, you can rent one while you're there), and use those days to go resort hopping, make meal reservations at resorts rather than parks. By Sunday, a lot of people will be heading back to the airport, and you may have a slightly easier time with crowds.

But if your vacation coincides exactly with those days, all I can say is best of luck.

Upvote 0

bcuinohio

How busy is it? All of the books show that it is busy that week but not nearly as bad as Christmas or Spring Break. I will be there from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the day after. I am hoping that the first three or four days aren't too bad. My only other choice is summer. I don't want my kids to miss school. They only miss one day by going at Thanksgiving. Summer is so hot. I will put up with the crowd a couple of days.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How busy is it? All of the books show that it is busy that week but not nearly as bad as Christmas or Spring Break. I will be there from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the day after. I am hoping that the first three or four days aren't too bad. My only other choice is summer. I don't want my kids to miss school. They only miss one day by going at Thanksgiving. Summer is so hot. I will put up with the crowd a couple of days.

It's right up there with Christmas and Easter, maybe not quite as busy, but still very busy by anyone's measure.

On the plus side, lots of long operating hours!

Upvote 0

MrBug

Keep in mind one of the main facets of the celebration is that we're giving thanks that we're no longer British :D. Just keep tossing that lovely sterling around and we'll all get along just fine... :lol:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Unfortunately the comparison of crowds Thanksgiving to Christmas is like comparing skin cancer to brain cancer. Sure one is less severe than the other but they are both still pretty bad.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

We were there for Thanksgiving 1998 - wasn't crowded at all. Fast forward to 2006 - WOW! The only way I would go back again during that week would be if someone else was paying for it. The only advice I can give, get up early, use Fastpass, and take time for an afternoon drink (or three!)

Upvote 0

pax_65

We used to go over Thanksgiving quite often, but we would arrive on Thanksgiving day (or the day before) and stay through the following week. The crowds are nuts Thanksgiving weekend. My wife and I once found a bench in the Magic Kingdom just to watch the crowds in amazement as the park was the most crowded we had ever seen it. On Monday of the following week the crowds ease up tremendously and it's a very pleasant time to do the parks.

One additional note: the weather varies quite a bit this time of year. We've experienced some cool days - highs in the low 60s, lows in the 40s (bought a nice Disney jacket that day) and some Summer-like days. So be prepared and be flexible - you might have to pick and choose your pool days.

Upvote 0

wcox377492

I've been at Thanksgiving for a number of years. Finally a few years ago, I stayed for about a week after and the difference was unbelieveable. If you can either stay longer or delay your trip until the week after t-giving you'll find the crowds much less!

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
Keep in mind one of the main facets of the celebration is that we're giving thanks that we're no longer British :D. Just keep tossing that lovely sterling around and we'll all get along just fine... :lol:

Thats OK Im Scottish Ill just keep reminding you where the founding fathers got their inspiration from. :animwink:

And besides it does work both ways.:drevil:

Were there for 16 nights, though the first 3 will be at "the other place" :eek:. Im confused because a few reviews Ive read say it will be quiet in the parks on thanks giving itself. Can anybody clarify this.

I was hoping to maybe try and get into Vero beach for a few days to avoid the parks. we normally visit in August so Im sure that despite the crowds being somewhat higher theres no humidity to deal with.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thats OK Im Scottish Ill just keep reminding you where the founding fathers got their inspiration from. :animwink:

And besides it does work both ways.:drevil:

Were there for 16 nights, though the first 3 will be at "the other place" :eek:. Im confused because a few reviews Ive read say it will be quiet in the parks on thanks giving itself. Can anybody clarify this.

On actual thanksgiving itself the crowds move from riding attractions to scrambling for that thanksgiving dinner. This can mean the attractions are slightly less busy, but it's still going to be very busy.

Weather should be muh nicer. One big change from your normal August trips will be that it can get cold(ish) at night, to the point where you need something more than a tshirt.

Upvote 0

Crazy4WDW1

We were down for Thanksgiving weekend in '04. We flew in Thanksgiving day and went straight to MGM. Our group consisted of 11 that trip. I remember the crowds being less by Sunday. I do not remember crowds being unmanageable. I've seen worse during the summer months.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

We did Thanksgiving in 2000. I was shocked at how crowded it was (MK was at capacity on Thanksgiving day and the day after) but I have never been during summer break so I am comparing it to late Feb/March, early September, and early November. I can echo what other people have said about making sure you get your ADRs, we didn't and it was very depressing to be eating a Turkey Leg and Fries on Thanksgiving. :brick:

Upvote 0

KingStefan

According to touringplans.com current estimate, the worst days are Sat, 22 Nov; Mon, 24 Nov; and Thanksgiving day itself, Thu, 27 Nov. These days are level 9.

This is followed by every other day in the Sat, 23 Nov to Sat, 28 Nov timeframe, all of which are at level 8.

Earlier and later days (especially later - Tue, 2 Dec is a level 4, which means practically empty) are better.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

...We're there for 16 nights, though the first 3 will be at "the other place" :eek:. Im confused because a few reviews Ive read say it will be quiet in the parks on thanks giving itself. Can anybody clarify this.

I was hoping to maybe try and get into Vero beach for a few days to avoid the parks. we normally visit in August so Im sure that despite the crowds being somewhat higher theres no humidity to deal with.

You don't say exactly what 16 nights. Just in case the exact days have not been picked yet: the week before Thanksgiving weekend is among the most crowded (although not as bad as Easter, Christmas, or summer), and the two weeks after Thanksgiving weekend are among the least crowded times. Christmas crowds pick up around 20 Dec.

So, I guess what I'm saying is: if you're looking for low crowd levels during your time frame, the later the better.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom