WDW Admission Policy Change

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
DisKid said:
Park opening isn't the terribly slow time because nobody is re-entering at any park at that point, and they are prepared with every turnstile open!!

The annoying time is in the middle of the day, because you think it's going to be so quick to get in because everyone is already in and there are very few waiting to get in...but actually, it takes a long time.

No.. if you read my post, I was there for the Character meal and tour entrance time - that's actually well before park opening. No one got through the turnstiles, only 5 or so were open, and each one that was open had a line all the way as far back as they could physically go.

So, rough estimate of 30-40 or so people ahead of me, and we were in within 3mins.

DisKid

mousermerf said:
No.. if you read my post, I was there for the Character meal and tour entrance time - that's actually well before park opening.

Thank you for your kind reply, I did read your post. And right at the beginning of letting people in for the day (before park opening/opening) they are not using the finger system (which is what this thread is referring to is it not?)

This time of day goes a lot quicker!!!!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
DisKid said:
Thank you for your kind reply, I did read your post. And right at the beginning of letting people in for the day (before park opening/opening) they are not using the finger system (which is what this thread is referring to is it not?)

This time of day goes a lot quicker!!!!

They always use the finger system. You're very much mistaken. At the first park you enter, your ticket is "tagged" (hence the term ticket tag) with your biometric info. It will be recalled by the turnstile from the central computer system everytime you use it to enter any park, for park hopping, visits on multiple days, etc, and matched to the ticket EVERYTIME you enter a park.

Thus it is, again, collected at your first entry. Technically, the initial scan, acknolwdgement that its a new ticket and comapring it to the database, and then saving of the info should take nanoseconds longer.

MagicalMonorail

I do not like the ticket tag system. It just holds up the lines since it takes longer for people to enter the turnstiles. However, when I was there, it only did not work once for me. I was at the MGM-Studios, and the booth would not take my ticket. I was asked to give an ID, so I did. The ticket-taking CM checked my name on my ID with the name on my ticket. She never checked my signatures.

On a side note, I found it extremely difficult to sign the ticket/room key. Every pen I tried would not write on the card. I went through my entire one week vacation without a signature on my card.

Robfasto

When we were there last month they had the Tag System turned off in the mornings to speed up guest entry. And in the afternoons they used them but most of the time they just had to bypass guest that could not get their fingers to scan right. As for the hand stamp we got them but they never did check for them.

In the long run this will be about cost and savings. Not having to have a Cast Member at each exit to place the hand stamps, not having to keep the black lights operational and on all day long would all have to be a cost savings. The Biometrics system will not cost them anything extra as it has been in place for quite some time now.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
MagicalMonorail said:
I do not like the ticket tag system. It just holds up the lines since it takes longer for people to enter the turnstiles. However, when I was there, it only did not work once for me. I was at the MGM-Studios, and the booth would not take my ticket. I was asked to give an ID, so I did. The ticket-taking CM checked my name on my ID with the name on my ticket. She never checked my signatures.

On a side note, I found it extremely difficult to sign the ticket/room key. Every pen I tried would not write on the card. I went through my entire one week vacation without a signature on my card.

How did you expect the CM to check your signatures if your card wasn't signed?

Thorphin

We just returned from WDW on Wednesday, and I must say that the ticket tag thing is kind of annoying. I consider myself technologically savvy, but the system often didn't work well for me. All it says is stick your figures in, each on one side of the dot, and then enter. The trouble is that it doesn't say if you need to press down, push forward, or anything. After at least 20 park entries on our last trip, I can honesetly say that I still don't know the correct way of putting your fingers in, although it never denied me. If anything, it seems to slow down entry for the average person by about 6 or 8 seconds. To me, 5-10 seconds seems like an eternity when you know that there are twenty people behind you trying to get in.

The nice thing, though, was that for about 75% of the time (probably about 10 entries), they had disabled ticket tag at the MK turnstyles, so all you had to do was insert your ticket and walk through. Lines moved much faster and everyone seemed much happier to be able to keep moving forward.

We only had one gate (which was at MGM) deny any of our tickets, and that gate had clearly been having problems with everyone walking through. The Hong Kong Disneyland trainee was annoyed, but very efficient and helpful at getting things overridden and guests through the gates as quickly as possible.

maxime29

Premium Member
Thrawn said:
It takes a long time at the turnstyles because people are idiots and cannot correctly use the ticket tag system. Also, people will get in the long lines just because there are lines. You can usually walk to the ends of the row of turnstyles and get in in about half the time.

Bingo!

Now I am used to a biometric system at my university. We have it to enter our workout facility. We type in our student number and put our hand on the scanner. Has to match up with the pins inside, but it became second nature of the exact placement after a while. It maybe takes us a max of 10 seconds to get through after the button punching and scanning. I can imagine long lines for just the process one has to go through in order to enter the park, especially since 90% of the people will not get it right after the first or even seventeenth try.

AEfx

They were still giving handstamps last month, but weren't checking them anywhere. I noticed they weren't even really giving them unless you asked - as an AP holder I've never needed one anyway, and usually I have to fend them off trying to stamp me as I exit. Last trip, nothing at all.

It's about time - with biometrics they really don't need it anymore. Glad to see one more thing to make it easier to get in/out of the parks.

AEfx

Robfasto

Thorphin said:
All it says is stick your figures in, each on one side of the dot, and then enter. The trouble is that it doesn't say if you need to press down, push forward, or anything. After at least 20 park entries on our last trip, I can honesetly say that I still don't know the correct way of putting your fingers in, although it never denied me.

I have found with using my Annual over the years is after you place your fingers in the reader, pinch your fingers together and it works pretty good.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its such a great system that my wifeused my daughters AP for our entire break without an issue (before anyone get wound up, we had taken the wrong one when we left home)

Personally I have to be "let in" on every trip as it just dosent work on me, unless thers been an upgrade?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Pumbas Nakasak said:
Its such a great system that my wifeused my daughters AP for our entire break without an issue (before anyone get wound up, we had taken the wrong one when we left home)

Personally I have to be "let in" on every trip as it just dosent work on me, unless thers been an upgrade?

*rubs temples* They could of printed your wife a new one if she had photo ID - which I'm assuming an adult would travel with.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
mousermerf said:
*rubs temples* They could of printed your wife a new one if she had photo ID - which I'm assuming an adult would travel with.

Why would I waste time obtaining a replacement ticket when the one MDLW had was working perfectly? scratches napper.

imagineer99

I guess I'm confused...

I have an old park hopper (about five-six years old) that never expires. Does this still work? It's an adult pass, but my fingers have probably grown since I last used it. How can it be synchronised with the "finger-thing."

Although I've been to WDW numerous times. I've never had to stick my finger into a ticket machine. What about the plastic resort ID tickets? Do they require you to insert your fingers too?

Frankly, If Disney fanatics can't figure this system out, how do they expect the general public to get it?

Figment1986

you old tickets never expire.. if you have days left they are still good...

back then you did not need to incert fingers.. so no problem..

(unless you got the expiration FLA tickets..)

The general public uses this everywhere now.. gyms.. other themeparks owned by a beer company.. and ext.. use the system now...

lawyergirl77

peter11435 said:
EVERY ticket will now require the biometric scan.
So does that mean that the Resort will take your biometric scan when you check in and get your key, or is going to be something that guests will have to do when they get to their first park?

If it's the latter, then grrrrrr... I'll be so. close. to the Magic Kingdom, and be denied!!!!!! (Yeah, I know, five to ten minute delay, no big deal... But what can I say? I'm impatient on the first day!!!)

peter11435

lawyergirl77 said:
So does that mean that the Resort will take your biometric scan when you check in and get your key, or is going to be something that guests will have to do when they get to their first park?

If it's the latter, then grrrrrr... I'll be so. close. to the Magic Kingdom, and be denied!!!!!! (Yeah, I know, five to ten minute delay, no big deal... But what can I say? I'm impatient on the first day!!!)
You will do it the first time you enter the park, however it will not take long. It takes no longer the first time than it does any other time you use the system. Just stick your fingers in and go.

Robfasto

Pumbas Nakasak said:

I had a simular thing happen, I headed to Epcot before the rest of our group to take some pictures so I wouldn't slow everyone down and although I have an Annual Pass I used my wife's Park Hopper by mistake. It should not have been a problem if the biometrics worked they way they are suppose to.

I went to Guest Relations to see what could be done since my wife was not coming to the park and I didn't want to use one of her days when I had an Annual Pass. Although it was my mistake, Guest Relations said they could not add a day back to her ticket so they gave me a 1 Day Park Hopper that expires in 2 years (couldn't do a no expire ticket like her park hopper).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom