WDW Admission Policy Change

bucklmd

Washington Mutual Commercial

Ha! That commercial sounds good. We don't have that here in Kentucky, but it sounds like the same concept. I really think it will come to that one day though. Very Sci-fi. Sounds like the premise of a next superhero. Something went wrong with his/her Disney computer chip....... :D

Woody13

imagineer99 said:
Wait a minute...how would an old park hopper even have the technology to store the finger scan information?

This system wasn't in place five years ago. Not to mention, it would be outdated upon return.
Disney abandoned the bar-coded laminated photo ID in favor of the Tyvek "paper" passes with the new magnetic strip back in early 1996. The magnetic strip stores all the information about you including your biometric finger scan. AP users such as our family were among the first to use them. So, the biometric finger scans have been in place for almost 10 years.

The last photo ID I have from WDW is dated 1995.

RedBaron

Epcot82Guy said:
I am saddened by this just because I loved the stamps. Great childhood memories of that ink smell and seeing the stamp on certain attractions! But, I think the new system will be better. I personally like the Biometric system b/c I think it functions better. If it saves money (which it does), keep it.
I was thinking the same thing. I loved the lemony smell of the stamp and the glow in the dark effect and will miss that.

peter11435

imagineer99 said:
Wait a minute...how would an old park hopper even have the technology to store the finger scan information?

This system wasn't in place five years ago. Not to mention, it would be outdated upon return.
The finger scan information is not stored on the tickets. They are stored on Disney's system. The turnstile matches the id of your ticket with the finger scan information on Disney's computers for that ticket, thus it doesn't matter how old the ticket is as long as it has a magnetic strip for the turnstile to read. I’m not sure what you are referring to when you say it would be out dated upon return. If your talking about the old park hoppers, Disney tickets unless otherwise noted never expire.

Woody13

peter11435 said:
The finger scan information is not stored on the tickets. They are stored on Disney's system. The turnstile matches the id of your ticket with the finger scan information on Disney's computers for that ticket, thus it doesn't matter how old the ticket is as long as it has a magnetic strip for the turnstile to read. I’m not sure what you are referring to when you say it would be out dated upon return. If your talking about the old park hoppers, Disney tickets unless otherwise noted never expire.
I stand corrected. Thanks. That makes perfect sense. The finger scan information is not generated until you use the pass in the turnstile for the first time and the scanners don't write any information to your ticket, they only read your ID. So obviously the finger scan information is not stored on the magnetic strip.:wave:

imagineer99

peter11435 said:

Makes perfect sense. Thanks. Originally, I thought that Disney added something "special" to the newer tickets that enable the finger system to work. Thus, old park hoppers, while granting you admission, would some how be exempt from the biometric scans.

However, based on your explanation, I see now that the age of the ticket has no bearing on that whatsoever.

peter11435

imagineer99 said:
Makes perfect sense. Thanks. Originally, I thought that Disney added something "special" to the newer tickets that enable the finger system to work. Thus, old park hoppers, while granting you admission, would some how be exempt from the biometric scans.

However, based on your explanation, I see now that the age of the ticket has no bearing on that whatsoever.
And I would like to add that if you have a valid ticket thats so old it does not have a magnetic strip, they will exchange it for a new ticket that will work with the new system.

jiddng

peter11435 said:
No, let me clarify. What I meant was that if your biometric scan at the gate does not work, the cast member will check your ID and let you in. However there is two ways he can do this, one is to bypass the bio-scan only, the other bypasses the ticket. It is much easier for the CM to simply bypass the ticket however then you will not be able to get Fast Passes.

Ahhhhh, OK - thanks for the clarification!

ScrapIron

1disneydood said:
What about kids? What about forigeners with illegable ID's? What about park visitors that don't have an ID (ID revoked because of legal probs like DWI)?

1- It is my understanding that kids don't do the finger scan.
2- I am unfamiliar with the word "illegable" so I'm not sure how to repond.
3-There are many forms of ID, as mentioned by someone else.

Cheers.

JET12monorail

I would like to let everyone know that while my family and I were there earlier this month, my wife and I used each others tickets several times-changing tickets almost every time we entered a park-just to test the integrity of the system-we never had any problems with those machines letting me in with her ticket and vice-versa. THAT SYSTEM WORKS GREAT.

It must be in place just to prevent as much unauthorized entry as possible.

mrtoad

Epcot82Guy said:
I am saddened by this just because I loved the stamps. Great childhood memories of that ink smell and seeing the stamp on certain attractions! But, I think the new system will be better. I personally like the Biometric system b/c I think it functions better. If it saves money (which it does), keep it.

My daughter loves the stamps. Even after we got our APs and don't need the stamps she gets one just because she loves to...

imagineer99

JET12monorail said:
I would like to let everyone know that while my family and I were there earlier this month, my wife and I used each others tickets several times-changing tickets almost every time we entered a park-just to test the integrity of the system-we never had any problems with those machines letting me in with her ticket and vice-versa. THAT SYSTEM WORKS GREAT.

That's interesting. However, I'm sure that Disney originated the system with a lot of leniency. If it was too stringent, then every turnstyle would take a LONG time to get through.

peter11435

JET12monorail said:

Actually the machines are programmed to do that. The system really does work. The machines are programmed to accept the finger scan for every member of your party on each ticket. In other words, the computers know that you and your wife’s ticket are together because they were purchased together. Thus the machine allows for them to be interchangeable. This is because many people have one person in there party who holds all of their tickets. This prevents wasted time at the entrance due to the people having the wrong ticket. However it is important to point out that some times they do turn the system off completely if crowds get too backed up. However this does not change the fact that the system works and I don’t recommend trying to use someone else’s ticket.

shoppingnut

As an AP holder for many years, I have found the system works like the weather, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Also, last year I had a problem with the finger scan not working at the MK, but worked well in all the other parks, go figure.

The security bag check is a waste of time and only backs the line up. It also annoys me that I have to stand behind people that are practically bringing their luggage into the parks. Why can't there be a line for people with just handbags or a pouch. The no bag entry is discriminatory against women.

I don't know why people think the bio scans are everywhere and that everyone shouldn't have a problem using it, since Disney is the only place I have ever encountered it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
From what i've heard - the lighting in the area effects the scans, particularly at the MK because of angle/direction their turnstiles are set up.

Particularly at sunrise and sunset it messes up the machines. They have to be "benchmarked" to adjust their scans for the various light levels throughout the day, and its near impossible to get a proper scan because of the light level during those specific periods.

Just what I heard.

mrtoad

shoppingnut said:
As an AP holder for many years, I have found the system works like the weather, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Also, last year I had a problem with the finger scan not working at the MK, but worked well in all the other parks, go figure.

The security bag check is a waste of time and only backs the line up. It also annoys me that I have to stand behind people that are practically bringing their luggage into the parks. Why can't there be a line for people with just handbags or a pouch. The no bag entry is discriminatory against women.

I don't know why people think the bio scans are everywhere and that everyone shouldn't have a problem using it, since Disney is the only place I have ever encountered it.

I dissagree. I think the bag check is a good idea. I would rather be safe than sorry. It is their parks, they have the right to do that as any building owner would have the right to do.

I do agree it would be nice to have a single bag line as some people have many but I still think there should be bag checks.

imagineer99

peter11435 said:
Actually the machines are programmed to do that. The system really does work. The machines are programmed to accept the finger scan for every member of your party on each ticket. In other words, the computers know that you and your wife’s ticket are together because they were purchased together. Thus the machine allows for them to be interchangeable. This is because many people have one person in there party who holds all of their tickets. This prevents wasted time at the entrance due to the people having the wrong ticket. However it is important to point out that some times they do turn the system off completely if crowds get too backed up. However this does not change the fact that the system works and I don’t recommend trying to use someone else’s ticket.

Absolutely fascinating. I appreciate the information that you're giving on the topic.

pucks98

The issue I have with the scan is that the lines move so much slower and the same amount of gates are open than there were prior to the scan policy going into effect. The CM's get frustrated and just overide the system. On our last visit 3 weeks ago, there were about 20 people ahead of us and it appeared that most were having problems. It took almost 15 minutes to get through 20 people. A big problem is that people just don't know what to do even though the signs are right in front of their faces.

peter11435

pucks98 said:
The issue I have with the scan is that the lines move so much slower and the same amount of gates are open than there were prior to the scan policy going into effect. The CM's get frustrated and just overide the system. On our last visit 3 weeks ago, there were about 20 people ahead of us and it appeared that most were having problems. It took almost 15 minutes to get through 20 people. A big problem is that people just don't know what to do even though the signs are right in front of their faces.
Actually they did install additional turnstiles with the new system.

shoppingnut

mrtoad said:
I dissagree. I think the bag check is a good idea. I would rather be safe than sorry. It is their parks, they have the right to do that as any building owner would have the right to do.

I agree that they have right to do it, but the bag checks aren't going to stop someone who really wants to sneak a gun or knife into the parks. All they need do is strap it in a holster on their leg under their pants, so a bag check isn't going to help here. The bag checks are definitely a feeling of false security.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom