WDI Layoffs

CaptainAmerica

I don't think you can pin most inefficiencies in WDI on the Imagineers themselves-I think you have to look more towards the Disney bean counters and upper management. I'm sure that, with the majority of the recent, and future, projects, the finished product is different than WDI's vision, with management constantly stepping in and vetoing/changing things, which would naturally lead to higher than budgeted costs and delays.
This is absolutely 100% backwards. Project budgets are very rarely reduced after an amount has been approved. It's MUCH more common for WDI to over promise and under deliver within a stated budget. Cuts don't occur until after they've gone obscenely over budget.

CaptainAmerica

Yeah, Harambe and Anandapur are decadent as hell, but I kind of love them for that. The world will probably never see such ludicrously over-researched themed architecture and design ever again. Animal Kingdom is like the "Heaven's Gate" of theme parks.
I think the point is, the research part adds very little value. You can have decadent theming a lot cheaper than over-researched decadent theming. The theming can be really really good even if it's not really really authentic.

pheneix

Original Poster
I agree it seems very strange to let Rhode go after being the face of GOToTG (yeah...I know that didn't make sense).

Normally for someone at Rhode's stature they would have eased him out and let him be the face of Pandora's opening. I'm feeling a vindictive streak in Chappie.

FWIW that may be the case. I heard all the old timers got graceful exits. But exits none the less.

Soarin' Over Pgh

WHAT??? Not Joe! :(

Any of yall insiders know him personally? Or, enough to have an email/phone number?

...Can we recruit him to come to this board? Man, what I wouldn't give to pick ideas from his brain.

Seriously, heartbreaking. Especially since he was the one supposed to be in charge of Marvel in the stateside parks.

:depressed:

radiohost

Hold the phone....

Let's wait a minute on this news. This would be earth shattering news if true...let's wait a few hours for it to spill from Glendale; (just shy of 10:00AM) local time.

Rodan75

Folks losing their jobs is always painful, but it has been stated and debated that the WDI team has not been a healthy organization for a long time. Sometimes the only way to restart and refresh a culture is to wipe away the layers that perpetuate it.

The only scary thing, is that right now, we can't be sure that the culture Chapek wants to create is a positive change. But it may be too soon to know for sure...and Mission Breakout is probably not proof enough that he wants to go in a negative direction.

CaptainAmerica

Folks losing their jobs is always painful, but it has been stated and debated that the WDI team has not been a healthy organization for a long time. Sometimes the only way to restart and refresh a culture is to wipe away the layers that perpetuate it.

The only scary thing, is that right now, we can't be sure that the culture Chapek wants to create is a positive change. But it may be too soon to know for sure...and Mission Breakout is probably not proof enough that he wants to go in a negative direction.
I think this is an important distinction. Lots of people are conflating "creative talent" with "company culture." There can be talented people that don't fit within a culture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom