WDI Layoffs

Soarin' Over Pgh

Hey, maybe theyre just clearing out salary space to bring Tony back?

Please don't tease us like that. :( My heart skipped a beat.

Can anybody post names at all? I literally cannot find anything about this anywhere.

I haven't been able to find a single word outside of this thread...

FWIW I'm not posting names because:

A.) I could be wrong

B.) I don't think I am and I don't wanna be "that guy" who outed it.

It was very hard to find ppl to talk about WDI today. The silence is deafening.

Dang.

I'm hoping Joe is at least safe for now ...so Pandora/ Marvel stuff can get the Joe Treatment. :\ As for the rest... ehh... if a house clearing is necessary, then it's necessary... still sucks to hear, though.

lazyboy97o

Yea, no. At the Conference Call last week, UNIversal Beijing is fully designed already.

Universal Studios Beijing to open in 2020. All attractions are already designed and laid out. They have been working on this park for 12 years.

So if anything, these hires are for the third park and future expansions that Uni is poaching.
Universal Studios Beijing has finished Concept Design. And while Universal includes a lot of detail at that level it does not at all mean design is done. The current phase is Schematic Design, then Design Development, then Construction Documents.

spresso81

It's on Twitter so here we go!

Joe Rhode has apparently been sacked from WDI. Tom Firzgerald too.

I am not shocked by this news. Pandora is way over budget to the point money is being reallocated to cover for its expenses from other projects. All of the world travel for research purposes by Joe and team might have been nice – but Chappies more operational focus sees this as excessive and a huge waste of money. In some ways, I think keeping Imagineering inline on costs is a good thing (I hate to side with ops but Imagineering costs are just wacky at Disney) as it should not cost over $100 mil to building a family coaster in fantasyland or $300-400 million to build TSL. Either someone is cooking the books or bad at managing costs.

Pros & cons on this news:

Pro - I will not have to see Joe’s gross giant earing again! I have never liked seeing it on TV and seeing live at the AKL was not any better.

Con - He did amazing work at AK and I think Everest even w/o the Yeti is an amazing ride/experience.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
To be honest...a massive WDI and parks reorganization could be a good thing...we will have to see how it all plays out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom