Wasps

PinnySmart

Maintenance came by a bit earlier and cut down and tore out a large amount of the shrubbery and landscaping by the hotel room entrances and the pool. The wasps had a nest(s) in the area and were disturbed. If this was a one off random sting then I would have gone about my business but it wasn't there were dozens of wasps swarming the tree top canopy beyond what were flying on ground level. Imagine if a family unaware came back to the room or was going to the pool and a child was stung multiple times and had a reaction.
How do you know what exactly what disturbed the wasps? And you can imagine "what if's" all you want. If a child is stung and has a reaction then hopefully the parents have an epi-pen. My mother is very allergic and takes precautions because it is downright stupid to think that an insect population can be totally eradicated. Wasps don't even have to be disturbed to sting.

Jahona

It's cause and effect. Area was changed directly where the wasps were. Therefore a reasonable assumption would be that the work done disturbed the wasps. In the end would you have preferred Disney do nothing?

On a side note I worked briefly for an arboretum. Bugs are always going to be present. Shoot they even had an on site bee hive at one point. But if something like this took place you can bet maintenance was out taking care of the issue. Guests were the #1 priority and an unhappy guest was not something that made the higher ups pleased.

KikoKea

Last Fall, we came around a bend on BTMRR and a wasp was hanging in the air. I ducked, but unfortunately the lady behind me didn't. :eek: Other than that instance, we've not had any problems with stinging bugs. Hard to get rid of them and keep them away, but I think WDW must be doing something. Otherwise, the place would be littered with nests and yellow jackets buzzing the trashcans.

DarthMileZ

Original Poster
not being funny but they use some of the most amazing tech in their rides etc but they cant keep wasps away from drink fountains? i totally understand that it's florida and they will be around. but at least protect these fountains. when i was stung, these wasps would fly around you while filling up and they would fly into the machines and crawl up the back of the buttons you have to push its really nerve wrecking, i wouldnt let my wife go near the fountains. but as i said, blizzard beach has mist coming out of the top of the fountains and it stops them flying in (also really refreshing to stand there) but i think its also going with the theming.

Siren

I talked with the manager that was on duty at the time. They asked if I needed medical assistance, which I declined. Luckily I'm not allergic to stings but I told them I expected to see the problem resolved within the hour as someone else might not be so lucky. They came out a short time later and fogged the area. As for compensation I wasn't offered anything nor did I expect anything at the time.
Wow, you are really a class act.

You hope Disney comped them something? For something that could happen anywhere? Ughh. Entitlement syndrome at it's finest.
LOL. This has *nothing* to do with entitlement. He is a *paying* hotel guest, and should be able to enjoy the *quiet* pool and other facilities without being swarmed and attacked by several wasps on the property. He should have been compensated for having been inconvenienced and for the pain. Ouch.

He certainly didn't arrive at the hotel stung with several wasp bites, yet he pays this hotel to suffer while there and depart in a worse state than when he arrived. Not cool.

Maintenance came by a bit earlier and cut down and tore out a large amount of the shrubbery and landscaping by the hotel room entrances and the pool. The wasps had a nest(s) in the area and were disturbed. If this was a one off random sting then I would have gone about my business but it wasn't there were dozens of wasps swarming the tree top canopy beyond what were flying on ground level. Imagine if a family unaware came back to the room or was going to the pool and a child was stung multiple times and had a reaction.
Wow, that sounds pretty bad.

It's cause and effect. Area was changed directly where the wasps were. Therefore a reasonable assumption would be that the work done disturbed the wasps. In the end would you have preferred Disney do nothing?

On a side note I worked briefly for an arboretum. Bugs are always going to be present. Shoot they even had an on site bee hive at one point. But if something like this took place you can bet maintenance was out taking care of the issue. Guests were the #1 priority and an unhappy guest was not something that made the higher ups pleased.
Very well said and I totally agree. And, I would have comped you without question. That had to have been painful.

JohnD

Got stung at Typhoon Lagoon trying to refill my cup... i only stood there, wasn't even trying to swat the damn things... the cast members were nice as anything but why on earth can't disney keep these pests in check? blizzard have the mist machines which keeps them away from the fountains.

I'm sorry you got stung. Ouch! But wasps aren't AAs or animals in enclosures that blend in with the theming. Welcome to Florida during the summer. I'm sure groundskeeping sprays and destroys nests where possible but if you're expecting real magic it isn't going to happen.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Wow, you are really a class act.

LOL. This has *nothing* to do with entitlement. He is a *paying* hotel guest, and should be able to enjoy the *quiet* pool and other facilities without being swarmed and attacked by several wasps on the property. He should have been compensated for having been inconvenienced and for the pain. Ouch.

He certainly didn't arrive at the hotel stung with several wasp bites, yet he pays this hotel to suffer while there and depart in a worse state than when he arrived. Not cool.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad.

Very well said and I totally agree. And, I would have comped you without question. That had to have been painful.

"Being inconvenienced"...that's a new one. I'm gonna go outside tomorrow morning and complain to the local govt about the birds chirping near my window because I pay my taxes and I deserve no birds near my windows.

Also wasps don't bite you...but carpenter bees do.

Siren

"Being inconvenienced"...that's a new one. I'm gonna go outside tomorrow morning and complain to the local govt about the birds chirping near my window because I pay my taxes and I deserve no birds near my windows.

Also wasps don't bite you...but carpenter bees do.
LOL. Again, the poster is a *paying* hotel guest, so it is not an unreasonable expectation for him to make use of the hotel pool and other facilities without worrying about getting attacked and stung by wasps.

We are not talking about one or two random sting bites -- the poster was attacked by a wasps nest and suffered multiple bites. So yes, he was definitely inconvenienced to put it mildly.

The hotel should not be performing maintenance duties nearby while guests are using the pool or facilities. If this was an emergency they should have just closed it. The maintenance workers chopped down the wasps nest, so this was preventable.

I don't think anyone should expect to be attacked by a swarm of wasps *anywhere* -- especially, not at a hotel pool.

The poster said he was attacked and bitten by wasps, I wasn't there so you can take that up with him.

With that said, I respect and understand your point, too. But, I *totally* disagree.

daisyduckie

LOL. Again, the poster is a *paying* hotel guest, so it is not an unreasonable expectation for him to make use of the hotel pool and other facilities without worrying about getting attacked and stung by wasps.

It is totally unreasonable to expect that Disney be able to wipe out the bug population. If they hadn't had someone cutting down bushes (assuming that is what caused the problem) you would have guests complaining about how unkempt the resort was. And maybe about how the view they were promised was blocked by all the greenery.

When I think I have heard all the silly things people expect compensation from Disney for, up comes a new reason.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
White, Anglo-Saxon Protestants? :p

Noa rugby team that relocated from London to Coventry
wadesetupsimpsongi_3145348b.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom