Wasps

DarthMileZ

Original Poster
Got stung at Typhoon Lagoon trying to refill my cup... i only stood there, wasn't even trying to swat the damn things... the cast members were nice as anything but why on earth can't disney keep these pests in check? blizzard have the mist machines which keeps them away from the fountains.

Jahona

I was stung multiple times last year by wasps while at one of the quiet pools at POR. Maintenance had come through earlier and chopped down some bushes. these suckers off royally and they took it out on me.

Siren

I have heard of crazy bees at AKL a few years ago but I have never seen a bee or a wasp at Disney World. I hope this isn't some kind of new budget cut where they cut back on spraying the property thoroughly.

I was stung multiple times last year by wasps while at one of the quiet pools at POR. Maintenance had come through earlier and chopped down some bushes. these suckers off royally and they took it out on me.
OMG, this is just awful. In your case, I hope Disney comped you something.

brb1006

I have heard of crazy bees at AKL a few years ago but I have never seen a bee or a wasp at Disney World. I hope this isn't some kind of new budget cut where they cut back on spraying the property thoroughly.

I thought Disney sprays bugs during the evening and morning when the parks aren't closed. Is this only for MK or for the other larks as well?

Siren

I thought Disney sprays bugs during the evening and morning when the parks aren't closed. Is this only for MK or for the other larks as well?
I don't know, brb. You totally know more than me, as this is the first time I've heard of Disney spraying bugs in the morning and at night. That's really good, though. Maybe, Disney just needs to try a new formula or something. I hope they spray the entire property, too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Got stung at Typhoon Lagoon trying to refill my cup... i only stood there, wasn't even trying to swat the damn things... the cast members were nice as anything but why on earth can't disney keep these pests in check? blizzard have the mist machines which keeps them away from the fountains.
Because it is Florida.

My house is right around 2000 square feet on about half an acre next to a lake. My eaves are completely exposed and easy to see and get to. I have to spray and knock down about 2 nests a week in the summer.

Typhoon lagoon is 56 acres worth of heavy foliage, dozens of water sources and millions of nooks and crannies for them to set up nests. You could have a crew that does nothing but search for nests 8 hours a day and you would still not find every one.

Jahona

I talked with the manager that was on duty at the time. They asked if I needed medical assistance, which I declined. Luckily I'm not allergic to stings but I told them I expected to see the problem resolved within the hour as someone else might not be so lucky. They came out a short time later and fogged the area. As for compensation I wasn't offered anything nor did I expect anything at the time.

DManRightHere

It makes sense they'd be a problem near soda fountains.

I don't think I would expect any compensation from Disney, it isn't like they put the insects there. Now if an employee was messing with them as I am standing right there, I probably would not like that.

Stinging insects always seem to be a problem at theme parks, all the food and trash cans. I can not remember if I have had any issues at Disney or Universal.

theme parks and other large events seem fo have first aid stations. Is this required by law?

Raineman

TBH, I'm surprised that I've never seen wasps/hornets/bees at WDW, given all of the garbage and spilled food or drink that may be present. Every year, at our local fair, wasps are always a problem, at every garbage can, soda fountain, and especially at the booth where they sell slushies in the tall plastic cups. Now, mosquitoes at WDW-that is a different story altogether.

Disney.Mike

I agree... not sure where some of you guys are from but it is impossible to eliminate these pest in the southeast. The fact that seeing them is an uncommon site speaks volumes about the effort Disney puts on guest safety. Telling a manager you expect this to be took care of is the same as suggesting Disney eliminate rain showers

JIMINYCR

Disney can spray, fog, bomb and annihilate bees, ants, mosquitos and other pests on a daily basis and STILL somethings going to get through. Its inevitable that someones going to see a bug or get bit or stung.... YOURE OUTSIDE..... AND ITS FLORIDA. You expect Disney to make it totally bug free and reality says it cant be. Just be happy they can knock down as much as they do so youre not fighting more of them while you are on property.

PinnySmart

You hope Disney comped them something? For something that could happen anywhere? Ughh. Entitlement syndrome at it's finest.

AndyS2992

Forget the bugs, my sister has been attacked not once, not twice but three times by some tropical looking bird in Adventureland. Could only happen to her lol She wasn't hurt or anything but I thought it was amusing.

Jahona

Maintenance came by a bit earlier and cut down and tore out a large amount of the shrubbery and landscaping by the hotel room entrances and the pool. The wasps had a nest(s) in the area and were disturbed. If this was a one off random sting then I would have gone about my business but it wasn't there were dozens of wasps swarming the tree top canopy beyond what were flying on ground level. Imagine if a family unaware came back to the room or was going to the pool and a child was stung multiple times and had a reaction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom