Wand finally coming down?

jmvd20

First time I saw that wand I hated it, huge, gawdy, destroys the beauty of SSE - I could not even think of a single good or even neutral thought of the hideous structure.

However, seeing it time and time again, looking through pictures of our last trips to WDW - It has become part of SSE and Epcot, at least to me. I guess I grew to tolerate and accept it. Maybe it is when I realized my beloved EPCOT Center was no more and had been replaced with Epcot that I grew to accept the wand. There is no way the wand fit with EPCOT Center, but I feel that it fits into the new Epcot just fine.

I don't think the wand will be going anywhere, and if it is changed - I would bet something similar would be installed in its place.

SirNim

I don't think the wand will be going anywhere, and if it is changed - I would bet something similar would be installed in its place.
Something similar...like this?
lg-trylon.jpg

Iakona

"Get people worked up"? People have been worked up with confirmations of the Wand coming down since 2001. Don't blame re-imagineering.

Yes, get people worked up because this comes from people that have some credibility. There have been enough comments on the re-imagineering site that if this was misconstrued (although I don't see how it could have been) then they SHOULD have corrected the misconception.

The Wand is permanent. End of story. Anything "temporary" at Disney that is around for 8 years is permanent.

Little hyperbole here? Things do change and very little is permanent at Disney. It may not change soon, but it will change someday.

Disney doesn't remove things for its health. The only way the Wand would come down is if Siemens put up the money to do so (and they have been sponsors for awhile, now, so the odds of that happening have fallen quite a bit) or if Disney wanted to place something new there, and since you would be hard-pressed to fit more than a churro cart on its footprint, it's not going anyway. I doubt Disney gets many complaints about the wand (certainly not as many as they might get about something like Stitch's Great Escape!), so there is really no impetus to put forth the cash. I would rather they spend that money (and it would be relatively expensive to remove) on something else.

I don't disagree. I doubt that the normal tourist that visits once every 7 years cares one bit about the wand like many Disney Die hards do. I am kind of torn, my wife likes it. I look at this way; I got the enjoyment of seeing SSE in the original state, I get to see it with the wand and hopefully I will get to see the next incarnation.

I'm not sure if the wand CAN come down...

I mean, if they DO take it down, there would be all sorts of construction and machinery near SSE inside the park and most likely be in people's way, and what if the wand falls on SSE??? I'm probably being a worry wart, but still, it never hurts to be to carefull...

goofyfan13

I'm not sure if the wand CAN come down...

I mean, if they DO take it down, there would be all sorts of construction and machinery near SSE inside the park and most likely be in people's way, and what if the wand falls on SSE??? I'm probably being a worry wart, but still, it never hurts to be to carefull...

It wouldn't be any different than when they put it up. They would disassemble it from the top down, not the bottom up, so there is really no risk of it falling on SSE.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Check out the rest of the blog. It's a well known blog by Pixar (and supposedly Disney) employees.

Unfortunately many of them are as much in the dark about future plans as we are. Pixar did have a lot of interesting discussions between themselves, but with the Disney merger, much of that "free" discussion has been controlled/edited.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Totally unsubstantiated thought, but I would not be at all surprised to see construction begin within a few months...with all the anti-wanders beginning to celebrate only to have the message modified with a 25 or other reference to the anniversary.

Expo_Seeker40

Ohhhhh but the Trylon and Perisphere were built and supposed to be like that from conception! :cool:

"Oh I dunno.....I think the wand...it adds something to Spaceship Earth"

and bird ________ all over one side of a brand new car adds something to the car :ROFLOL:

jaredliu

I was checking my mind... :lookaroun and came to the conclusion that the wand is NOT coming down...

Because...

My mind knows... therefore I know... and therefore y'all should know...

Ciao! :D
I am waiting for this moment. Thanks for clarification. This thread (hope) is over. :dazzle:

hokielutz

I highly doubt that they will be removing the wand just to put it back again less than a year later. If any changes will be made to the wand, they will be purely cosmetic, possibly a removal of the Sorceror's arm, changing it to something else. I don't forsee anything else...

Maybe the Sorceror's arm will be changed to Stitch's arm holding a wand?? :ROFLOL:

let the flaming begin...

bucklmd

I can't believe this topic even causes so much controversy. I don't like it or dislike it as it doesn't have an effect on my enjoyment of my Disney vacation. It's just a little extra decoration, and apparently branding as some have stated.

I seriously can't believe that they have to put a sign on it so people know it's a Disney park. Driving through the main park gates wouldn't be enough to do it? All I can say is that if you are in the Walt Disney World Resort and don't know where you are, you have no business leaving home.

WDW Monorail

I can't believe this topic even causes so much controversy. I don't like it or dislike it as it doesn't have an effect on my enjoyment of my Disney vacation. It's just a little extra decoration, and apparently branding as some have stated.

The thing is that we Disney fanatics are total Geeks. He have to talk about these things in extreme detail. Although the wand doesn't ruin any of our visits, contrevertial things need to be scrutinized.:lookaroun
:shrug:

captainhook1974

kill the wand

I'm with most of the people...drop it by any means necessary. I'd love to have the old light sculpture as well...kill the wand, and the goofy granite lumps in the entrance to the park...bring Epcot's entrance back to it's original look (I am in favor of progress, but if it is rightly done, just enhance it, not wreck it)

Iakona

I seriously can't believe that they have to put a sign on it so people know it's a Disney park. Driving through the main park gates wouldn't be enough to do it? All I can say is that if you are in the Walt Disney World Resort and don't know where you are, you have no business leaving home.

Uhm, there was a whole thread about the change of designs on, wait for it...............................................................................

Napkins :eek:

Tim G

I'm with most of the people...drop it by any means necessary. I'd love to have the old light sculpture as well...kill the wand, and the goofy granite lumps in the entrance to the park...bring Epcot's entrance back to it's original look (I am in favor of progress, but if it is rightly done, just enhance it, not wreck it)
How many times do you visit...

kcnole

Kevin Yee over at Miceage.com has confirmed that he's heard similar rumblings about the wand lately. Maybe its just being discussed, but the fact that it's even being discussed makes me happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom