Walt Disney's Secret Island in WDW

rock_doctor

If i remember correctly that building on Discovery Island was the snake habitat. The small island just before the aqueduct is too small, it is on like 200x300ft. Disney could do better! The CM's try to add some interest to the Disney story but the majority of what they say is just garbage but it does makes WDW more interesting. When i was a kid they use to say there was tunnels that went from the MK to Discovery Island and that on the island there was a bank vault where DW kept all of the money... Which is possible and from what i have read if you get out of a boat on Discovery Island security will be on you before you clear the beach...

Yea, I do recall this. I think they had a segment on the History Channel some time back on Walt's life and part of it was the fire station apartment.

The castle apt. was an unfinished area when Walt passed, so the project was put on the shelf, until a few yrs ago and that is where Cinderella Suite comes in.

Actually, to be 100% correct, the apartment was never finished...instead, it was used as the telephone center where some telephone operators were located. After that, it was remodeled to the room for the Year of a Million Dreams promotion. ;)

EPCOTPluto

I think it's the island from LOST.:lookaroun
I'd hate for that to be the series finale in some ways...

"Look guys, we landed in Disney World"
"Yay for random places the island disappears to!"
"Look...refurbs are everywhere!"
"Awww....:( Why, on the one time we actually have a vacation?!?!?"
"Because the systrine was low! Now, back to the Pacific! And to rabid fans!"
"But I want a Mickey Premium bar! :cry::cry:"

:lookaroun

KeithVH

Plain ol' misdirection. Everyone who knows anything knows that's the Primary LCC for the missiles stored in the castle silos. It's far away from the castle for survivability purposes . . .

DocMcHulk

Just FYI but Disney transportation CM's are probably the single worst source for Disney information on the planet. You will also hear them spin yarns about how the monorail was supposed to go through the Swan and Dolphin which is why that big window is there, the castle can be disassembled in the event of the hurricane, the rooms in the Contemporary were designed to be removed, etc, etc.
Actually, i am pretty sure that last one was true. But due to settling, they became unremovable.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually, i am pretty sure that last one was true. But due to settling, they became unremovable.
Nope not true. They were never designed to be removed. The origin of this rumor came from the fact that the rooms were built off site and slid into place almost completley finished. Because of this people simply assumed that they could be removed in the same matter which is not the case. The rooms at the Poly were done in a similar manner and just like the Contemporary can not be removed.

DocMcHulk

Nope not true. They were never designed to be removed. The origin of this rumor came from the fact that the rooms were built off site and slid into place almost completley finished. Because of this people simply assumed that they could be removed in the same matter which is not the case. The rooms at the Poly were done in a similar manner and just like the Contemporary can not be removed.
Someone might want to pass this tid-bit of info on to all those people at the Travel Channel who make shows about Disney World. lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Someone might want to pass this tid-bit of info on to all those people at the Travel Channel who make shows about Disney World. lol
I'll get right on that after I am done correcting the transportation CM's.:lol: (I'll bet money that that is where they got this information from)

DocMcHulk

I'll get right on that after I am done correcting the transportation CM's.:lol: (I'll bet money that that is where they got this information from)
I really want to ride in the front of the monorail when i am down there in Nov, just so I can ask the driver about the Swan and Dolphin. ;)

puntagordabob

Walt always dreamed big...so why wouldnt he want his own personal island in his Disney World? Certainly would have been private in Bay Lake while at the same time being VERY close to the action of the Magic Kingdom!

schewy

I never heard about the island. I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK and learned a lot of neat things. Like why the park is set up the way it is. The buildings in the back of Main street are actually taller than the one closest to the front gate. Going in the underground areas were neat too.

JamboJohn

I've never heard that, and pretty sure it's a rumor.

He did have a apartment in Cinderella Castle, though...

there were plans for an apartment but it was never built. The space was used as a call center for quite a few years then just used for storage until the built Cinderella's suite in it for Year of a Million Dreams. Now they are going to use the suite to woo actors, executives and the like who they would like to collaborate with on future projects and possibly for "whales" to get them to come and drop massive amounts of money...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom