Walt Disney's Secret Island in WDW

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The apartment in the castle was being built well before Walt died. Unfortunately it had to be stopped because of the snakes. That's why Walt put Future World into EPCOT, to have a future without snakes so he could go back and build his apartment.

I love this little known fact. The stories of Walt sending his Imagineers out to find a large enough snake free section of the 42000 acres available for the Florida Project are legendary. The story Marty Sklar tells if he's had a few Manhattens about the time he mistook a Timber Rattlesnake for his surveying tripod is epic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I love this little known fact. The stories of Walt sending his Imagineers out to find a large enough snake free section of the 42000 acres available for the Florida Project are legendary. The story Marty Sklar tells if he's had a few Manhattens about the time he mistook a Timber Rattlesnake for his surveying tripod is epic.
What is an even better less know story is how Walt did not want to build in Florida at all. His intense hatred of snakes had him wanting to build in Antarctica as he heard it was the only "snake free" continent on the planet.

Both Roy and Robert Foster knew that a park in Antarctica would never work and began buying land in central Florida all the while telling Walt that they were buying land around the south pole.

Walt did not learn the truth until the Orlando Sentinel broke the news about large central Florida land purchases by Disney. To save face, Walt acted like Florida was the plan all along.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
What is an even better less know story is how Walt did not want to build in Florida at all. His intense hatred of snakes had him wanting to build in Antarctica as he heard it was the only "snake free" continent on the planet.

Both Roy and Robert Foster knew that a park in Antarctica would never work and began buying land in central Florida all the while telling Walt that they were buying land around the south pole.

Walt did not learn the truth until the Orlando Sentinel broke the news about large central Florida land purchases by Disney. To save face, Walt acted like Florida was the plan all along.
I'd heard rumors that was the case but had not had confirmation! The people that told me about it mentioned there was a REASON that they were so intent on building so much Frozen into the parks. It all makes sense! It's Walt's true vision of the parks! He wanted his 2nd park to be set in a wintery world of ice and snow. So many stories make sense now! The reason Indiana Jones is in multiple attractions ("Snakes, why did it have to be snakes" was originally said by Walt during a rare secret meeting between himself and a young Speilburg that took place in of all places a reptile house in the San Diego zoo in the mid 60s). 20000 Leagues was originally scheduled to end in the polar ice caps section until Rolly Crump suggested it wasn't a great ending. I wonder if "Do you wanna build a snowman?" was actually a long lost Sherman brothers song dusted off and remixed for the current film sensation.

It all comes together now!!!

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'd heard rumors that was the case but had not had confirmation! The people that told me about it mentioned there was a REASON that they were so intent on building so much Frozen into the parks. It all makes sense! It's Walt's true vision of the parks! He wanted his 2nd park to be set in a wintery world of ice and snow. So many stories make sense now! The reason Indiana Jones is in multiple attractions ("Snakes, why did it have to be snakes" was originally said by Walt during a rare secret meeting between himself and a young Speilburg that took place in of all places a reptile house in the San Diego zoo in the mid 60s). 20000 Leagues was originally schedule to end in the polar ice caps section until Rolly Crump suggested it wasn't a great ending. I wonder if "Do you wanna build a snowman?" was actually a long lost Sherman brothers song dusted off and remixed for the current film sensation.

You are through the looking glass now and there is no going back.

Nemo14

I'd heard rumors that was the case but had not had confirmation! The people that told me about it mentioned there was a REASON that they were so intent on building so much Frozen into the parks. It all makes sense! It's Walt's true vision of the parks! He wanted his 2nd park to be set in a wintery world of ice and snow. So many stories make sense now! The reason Indiana Jones is in multiple attractions ("Snakes, why did it have to be snakes" was originally said by Walt during a rare secret meeting between himself and a young Speilburg that took place in of all places a reptile house in the San Diego zoo in the mid 60s). 20000 Leagues was originally scheduled to end in the polar ice caps section until Rolly Crump suggested it wasn't a great ending. I wonder if "Do you wanna build a snowman?" was actually a long lost Sherman brothers song dusted off and remixed for the current film sensation.

At last, logic prevails!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
... I wonder if "Do you wanna build a snowman?" was actually a long lost Sherman brothers song dusted off and remixed for the current film sensation.

I think I read that it was originally written for Jeffery Jones to sing to Macaulay Culkin.

38053WDW

There is a lamp at DisneyWorld on main street for Walt .. If you come in through the right tunnel, it's in the building right in front of you (trying to find picture) but I saw it.

216bruce

Reading a bit more, Kurtti does say that the apartment was intended for the Disney Family. But what about the telephone operators that supposedly moved in because Walt had passed away the apartment would go unused?
It's a little known fact...heard from the guy that told the bus drivers brother-in-law...that the Disney Princesses, when they aren't out doing meet and greets, were the operators who'd connect your call.
"Hello, this is Cinderella...how may I direct your call?"
"I'm sorry, Ms. Crofton isn't here anymore, how may I assist you?"

For what it's worth, I don't buy the island story at all. I just don't see having anyone from the Disney family living in the middle of the lake or lagoon. Folks would be cruising by on their rental watercraft, buzzing overhead parasailing, generally being a pain in the keester to whoever lived there. Not exactly a quiet private 'retreat'. Nah...not buying it.

Last edited:

216bruce

And, Walt wanted to investigate that crashed alien vessel there too. Just sayin...

raven

The apartment in the castle was being built well before Walt died.

Walt died before they started any construction in Florida (5 years before MK). Walt wanted EPCOT to be built first but the Imagineers didn't know how to move foward after his death so the pushed MK to top priority since they already knew how to build a Disneyland-style park.

SCB502

Walt died before they started any construction in Florida (5 years before MK). Walt wanted EPCOT to be built first but the Imagineers didn't know how to move foward after his death so the pushed MK to top priority since they already knew how to build a Disneyland-style park.
I don't know where you read this or who gave you this information. It's a pretty well known thing that Walt couldn't build Epcot or his apartment because of the snakes.............. and the aliens.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't know where you read this or who gave you this information. It's a pretty well known thing that Walt couldn't build Epcot or his apartment because of the snakes.............. and the aliens.
And Walt is alive and well, along with Elvis, somewhere in the Caribbean.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Again....

:bored:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom