News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
THIS!!!

When I called about my AP and asked about it's extension I specifically asked when the clock would start again. I was told when the theme parks reopen. I asked, "You mean when they reopen or when they reopen for ME to go?" We went back and forth a few times. Finally I said, "So what I'm hearing is that you will not restart the clock on my pass again until I am allowed to go to all four parks again? The CM said yes. I felt even then that he was lying since my verbal approval was required to accept the terms of my pass extension. We'll see...

I’m not sure he was “lying” to you. They tend to keep things “simple” for fast as much as possible. It may have been a “lie of omission” on management’s part...strategically.

There is no conceivable way they can “extend” you under the requirements you’re stating. They can’t really delay the passes running any longer than the set closure period. I think the more likely outcome is then offer the 4 month extension or a refund. Just a guess - however.

Hcalvert

THIS!!!

When I called about my AP and asked about it's extension I specifically asked when the clock would start again. I was told when the theme parks reopen. I asked, "You mean when they reopen or when they reopen for ME to go?" We went back and forth a few times. Finally I said, "So what I'm hearing is that you will not restart the clock on my pass again until I am allowed to go to all four parks again? The CM said yes. I felt even then that he was lying since my verbal approval was required to accept the terms of my pass extension. We'll see...
I took the partial refund today and just renewed my pass as my calculation puts me receiving about $400 back per pass. My renewal doesn't start until July 9, so I guess would I qualify for a partial refund or extension on that one too if what you are saying happens? 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I’m not sure he was “lying” to you. They tend to keep things “simple” for fast as much as possible. It may have been a “lie of omission” on management’s part...strategically.

There is no conceivable way they can “extend” you under the requirements you’re stating. They can’t really delay the passes running any longer than the set closure period. I think the more likely outcome is then offer the 4 month extension or a refund. Just a guess - however.
If they do the same at WDW as they have already done at Shanghai for AP holders, the AP end date will be extended the number of days from the start of the park closings until the end of the mandatory park reservation system. There is no reason to think that they will do anything else. From the Shanghai AP site:

Annual Pass Expiry Date Extension Policy
The validity period of a Shanghai Disneyland Annual Pass will be extended for the number of lost days falling between the park’s closure date of January 25, 2020 and the end of the “Advanced Reservation Period.” A Shanghai Disneyland Annual Pass that expired before January 25, 2020 or that was purchased after the end of the “Advanced Reservation Period” will not be extended.

Detailed expiry date extension information is as below:
  • Annual Passes that are purchased before January 25, 2020 and still valid on and after January 25, 2020, will be extended for the number of lost days falling between the park’s closure date of January 25, 2020 and the end of the “Advanced Reservation Period”.
  • Annual Passes that are purchased on and after January 25, 2020, but before the end of “Advanced Reservation Period”, will be extended for the number of days from the purchase date to the termination of the “Advanced Reservation Period”.

JusticeDisney

People renting points is outside of Disney’s concern. That’s a 3rd party deal. It’s unfortunate but you know the risks going in. You get a better price but less flexibility to cancel. Nobody could have predicted this would happen but Disney can’t worry about people who did that.
I hear what you're saying, but nobody knew THIS risk going in. And, while I agree with you that Disney doesn't worry about people in this situation, given the unprecedented nature of what's going on, they absolutely SHOULD worry about them and try to make accommodations. Oh well, life isn't fair, as the saying goes.

Disstevefan1

No meet and greets, no playgrounds, no parades, no fireworks, plexiglass at every cash register, mandatory face coverings "while on property," which would seem to include parking lots and every other place.

This sounds like a miserable guest experience. I know it was expected but I'm disappointed. IMO, you just don't open if this is the only way you think you can do it safely.

It will indeed be miserable and In my opinion much less of a value for your vacation dollar. That said, they had to open, they can’t remain closed and make NO money, besides, there will be plenty of folks that will go to WDW no matter what the experience is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they do the same at WDW as they have already done at Shanghai for AP holders, the AP end date will be extended the number of days from the start of the park closings until the end of the mandatory park reservation system. There is no reason to think that they will do anything else. From the Shanghai AP site:

Annual Pass Expiry Date Extension Policy
The validity period of a Shanghai Disneyland Annual Pass will be extended for the number of lost days falling between the park’s closure date of January 25, 2020 and the end of the “Advanced Reservation Period.” A Shanghai Disneyland Annual Pass that expired before January 25, 2020 or that was purchased after the end of the “Advanced Reservation Period” will not be extended.

Detailed expiry date extension information is as below:
  • Annual Passes that are purchased before January 25, 2020 and still valid on and after January 25, 2020, will be extended for the number of lost days falling between the park’s closure date of January 25, 2020 and the end of the “Advanced Reservation Period”.
  • Annual Passes that are purchased on and after January 25, 2020, but before the end of “Advanced Reservation Period”, will be extended for the number of days from the purchase date to the termination of the “Advanced Reservation Period”.
Jeez...

That’s a “wrinkle”. I don’t know when or if this is going to end? It essentially ends annual pass sales until it does then.

And that’s assuming they want annual passes...which I’m thinking they really don’t anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It will indeed be miserable and In my opinion much less of a value for your vacation dollar. That said, they had to open, they can’t remain closed and make NO money, besides, there will be plenty of folks that will go to WDW no matter what the experience is.

Agree...just can’t figure out the right “terminology” for it yet.

Hcalvert

I hear what you're saying, but nobody knew THIS risk going in. And, while I agree with you that Disney doesn't worry about people in this situation, given the unprecedented nature of what's going on, they absolutely SHOULD worry about them and try to make accommodations. Oh well, life isn't fair, as the saying goes.
That is why I am being forced to go in July or lose the money. I have accepted it and moved on and booked an extra five days before that trip with a different reputable DVC owner who has already refunded all of my money from the cancelled June reservation. I plan on renting from her next June if she has points available then too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It sucks, but Disney really has no legal rights to be involved. What could they even do? Make the owners that rented their points pay the money back or suspend their DVC account? That’s probably not even legal. The best recourse anyone has is to go to small claims court over it. No idea what a judge would ultimately rule.

wdw71fan

I propose we don’t.

Or you point them here where it seems the majority accept it’s the short term price to pay.

I propose we go to the parks as they prescribe.. We do that and we'll be back to 'normal' asap. So in short.. +1

Us doing right is a not an inconvenience, it's a responsibility:

- Safe return to the parks
- Keep it safe
- Keep CM's employed and PAID

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Jeez...

That’s a “wrinkle”. I don’t know when or if this is going to end? It essentially ends annual pass sales until it does then.

And that’s assuming they want annual passes...which I’m thinking they really don’t anymore.
You are still able to buy APs, even today. It's only regular park tickets and special tickets that they aren't selling. If they do the same as Shanghai, you buy an AP today, the end date will then be extended to cover from today until the end of the advanced reservation period. It really is that simple, and again, no reason to think that Disney will have a different policy for WDW APs that they do for Shanghai APs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are still able to buy APs, even today. It's only regular park tickets and special tickets that they aren't selling. If they do the same as Shanghai, you buy an AP today, the end date will then be extended to cover from today until the end of the advanced reservation period. It really is that simple, and again, no reason to think that Disney will have a different policy for WDW APs that they do for Shanghai APs.
I understand that...but since many passes are renewals...those would be delayed indefinitely until the clock starts. I bet a great many of those will lapse due to uncertainty as well.

That’s a bigger problem for Anaheim...but it’s still one in Florida. Problem 363 on the list by my count.

rudyjr13

If someone did not reply I believe you are. It's best to contact the DVC rental Store. I doubt they will have the answers yet as the situation is fluid I am sure more details will come out w/in the next week.

Thanks. Planning on it but giving them some room to breathe since it's been unprecedented for them. My big issue is getting down there from PA on a plane and what kind of experience it's going to be. At some point it's not worth the money.

JusticeDisney

It sucks, but Disney really has no legal rights to be involved. What could they even do? Make the owners that rented their points pay the money back or suspend their DVC account? That’s probably not even legal. The best recourse anyone has is to go to small claims court over it. No idea what a judge would ultimately rule.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I suppose the only thing Disney might (and maybe should) do under those circumstances is allow the use of the points to be extended out further than just a few months.

Seanual757

Thanks. Planning on it but giving them some room to breathe since it's been unprecedented for them. My big issue is getting down there from PA on a plane and what kind of experience it's going to be. At some point it's not worth the money.

IMHO those out of town I would not bother for July and August trips just too many unknowns. A trip in September until the end of the year I think things will go much smoother and less restrictions as well. Depending on what you look at Florida is in a Phase 1, 2, and 3 right now things from PH3 are already open in this phase and so on. I would honestly let the locals work with Disney to work out all of the kinks.

EdnaMode

THIS!!!

Ours expired in May and I would have renewed it then if our May trips hadn't cancelled. After that, I had decided to just wait and let Disney tack on x number of days, and then renew at the end of that.

But...if there might be an affinity event that might include AP's, I'd like to have an AP. :) Right now, all we have is expired AP's, and because of that, I don't know if we'll be included in announcements for AP's??

Are you saying that you were able to extend your passes during your phone call, after agreeing to the terms?

Also wondering...what were the terms of accepting the extension?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I suppose the only thing Disney might (and maybe should) do under those circumstances is allow the use of the points to be extended out further than just a few months.
I think most owners who rented their points would allow someone to change the date as long as t’s not beyond their use year. No harm to them. Disney or really DVC could continue to waive the change rules to make it most easy to do. That would help their own owners too that are booking for themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom