News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Aries1975

They are still showing the H2Glow parties at Typhoon Lagoon on the calendar. As I am very pale, I was hoping to do an evening at the waterparks to minimize exposure. With the parks closing early, as opposed to the MK EMH which was originally scheduled, there may be more people attending this event.

Jimdalva

Umm, I had thought that has always been the policy. You could have been upgraded on your original dates at no cost to a better room, but you chose to change your dates.

Not sure how you can state that you didn't ask for the change when you just said - anytime after July 15 - that's called asking them to change your dates.

I did not say that I didn't ask Disney to change my dates.

Obviously I had to change my dates, because the parks were Not Open July 6. Additionally , my resort, the Boardwalk Inn was Not Open.

I have paid to be at the resort July 6 - 9. Then they closed the resort. OK Im easy, call me when you open. Then they ask for $500. more. That doesn't sit right with me.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Obviously I had to change my dates, because the parks were Not Open July 6. Additionally , my resort, the Boardwalk Inn was Not Open.

I have paid to be at the resort July 6 - 9. Then they closed the resort. OK Im easy, call me when you open. Then they ask for $500. more. That doesn't sit right with me.
I’m sorry that the parks won’t be open during your scheduled stay, but Disney has always been upfront with the policy that you can be upgraded for no cost on your original dates, but must pay any difference to change. Sorry, but you can cancel for a full refund, and maybe make a new reservation at a later date that won’t cost you a lot extra.

Bob Harlem

Now that's quite interesting.

I have no idea what kind of numbers Volcano Bay is pulling, but I feel like Disney could easily open one of the water parks tomorrow and have a decent local crowd with the weather here settling down into summer-mode. I was initially pretty concerned over potential risks, but I think all things considered it turns out the water parks might be one of the best 'hostile' environments for the virus.

Volcano Bay hit capacity today, so did Aquatica, so I'd definitely believe it (At least the weekends). Heck even Universal Studios Florida hit the new lower capacity and they stopped letting folks in for a while. Which is quite a change from during the week where everything was nearly walk on.

It may follow the pattern of generally slow during the week and SLAMMED on the weekends, or it's just going to keep ramping up. I suspect July 4th week will be SLAMMED at both SeaWorld and Universal with a lot of folks getting turned away (or sitting for hours to get in).

mickeymiss

Are people with existing reservations for when they are open going to have a chance to modify before opening reservations back to the general public?

easyrowrdw

As it shouldn't. They should be happy to move you to any open date for no additional charge. If you were asking for Christmas/New Years that would be one thing, but a week or two difference... And moving from Boardwalk Inn to the Villas isn't an upgrade. That's bad form from Disney.

mickeymiss

Yes, but you will have to pay any cost difference, remembering that only DVC resorts are open and they cost more than a room at Pop Century.

Thank you. Sorry I wasn't clear. We have a POFQ reservation with tickets for August. Do we think those resorts will be open by then and will we get moved for free if they are not? Will August guests be allowed to modify dates and tickets before the general public?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As it shouldn't. They should be happy to move you to any open date for no additional charge. If you were asking for Christmas/New Years that would be one thing, but a week or two difference... And moving from Boardwalk Inn to the Villas isn't an upgrade. That's bad form from Disney.
Ummm, they have stated that it was BWI to a 1 bedroom at BWV. That is a large upgrade.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thank you. Sorry I wasn't clear. We have a POFQ reservation with tickets for August. Do we think those resorts will be open by then and will we get moved for free if they are not? Will August guests be allowed to modify dates and tickets before the general public?
Depends on when they open the non DVC resorts. Just like now, if you opt to modify the dates, and POFQ isn’t open, then yes, you will be responsible for additional charges. My gut feeling is that they will start opening the other resorts by August, but that is only my opinion considering current trends.
If they are not open, and they have room, yes, they will move you for free, but they’ll have a lot less availability by then, and may be forced to open more resorts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ummm, they have stated that it was BWI to a 1 bedroom at BWV. That is a large upgrade.
A BWV 1BR Villa is more than twice the size of a studio hotel room at BWI and includes a full kitchen, living room, washer/dryer...etc. It’s likely that there aren’t enough BWV DVC studios available and only 1BRs are. They are less popular. I would assume they would just move people to another resort over trying to get them to upgrade to a 1BR villa.

mickeymiss

Depends on when they open the non DVC resorts. Just like now, if you opt to modify the dates, and POFQ isn’t open, then yes, you will be responsible for additional charges. My gut feeling is that they will start opening the other resorts by August, but that is only my opinion considering current trends.
If they are not open, and they have room, yes, they will move you for free, but they’ll have a lot less availability by then, and may be forced to open more resorts.
Thanks. Do you know why they'd have less availability by then if nobody is allowed to book right now? Are current booked guests not going to be of any priority if they decide to close non-DVC resorts? I thought only select guests can modify right now. Is there somethimg I should be doing to secure our stay? I don't think we can afford DVC rates.

wagamama

Thanks. Do you know why they'd have less availability by then if nobody is allowed to book right now? Are current booked guests not going to be of any priority if they decide to close non-DVC resorts? I thought only select guests can modify right now. Is there somethimg I should be doing to secure our stay? I don't think we can afford DVC rates.

Nothing we can do but wait.

That being said, if you have a reservation, it will be honored someplace on property if POFQ is not open. I don’t think Disney will tell you to pony up an extra $500 if you want to take your trip as planned. I do think they are hoping that/counting on loads of folks with trips in the near future (we have one planned for September at POFQ) to cancel/reschedule.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Based on what I’ve read of their plans, I think they will automatically reassign you to an open resort equal to or better than POFQ sometime in the next several weeks. That would possibly be Caribbean Beach (although to me that’s a downgrade) or it could be a Deluxe resort. They won’t charge for that. But if you want to make modifications to dates, you’ll have to call and break out the check book.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Actually, DVC people have always been able to book. Disney only prohibits cash guests from booking for now. Since the park opening dates have been announced, DVC bookings have gone way up, as we were waiting for when they would be open to book.

mickeymiss

Actually, DVC people have always been able to book. Disney only prohibits cash guests from booking for now. Since the park opening dates have been announced, DVC bookings have gone way up, as we were waiting for when they would be open to book.
Thanks. I thought they were allowing modifications one week at a time and wouldn't bump an existing person out to accomodate a modified change. I wonder how they are going to keep tabs on capacity if they move people around. Nobody booked in August can modify reservations at all right now, correct?

robhedin

Thanks. I thought they were allowing modifications one week at a time and wouldn't bump an existing person out to accomodate a modified change. I wonder how they are going to keep tabs on capacity if they move people around. Nobody booked in August can modify reservations at all right now, correct?
My understanding is that Disney has their own inventory allocated from the DVC resorts that they're using. They're not bumping DVC members reservations.

Jimdalva

NOTHING is Open on my dates. NOT the parks and NOT the resort.

If when I had booked many months ago, I chose July 15 instead of July 6, which were at the time priced the same, then I would be looking forward to my 3 night mini stay.

Instead Disney raised the price by $500 .

People say BBI TO BWV is a big upgrade! I DID NOT ask for an upgrade, in fact I told them I would stay in ANY accommodations to keep the price I paid , even a down grade.

Disney said Only deluxe DVC resorts will be open, SO Any change will cost me $.

Many people here say ' Everyone knows Disney policy, you change the date, you pay the difference'. Well we are in a Pandemic and that changes everything. Disney closed the whole property on a day that I paid to be there. I am retired and local and could go Any time they could accommodate me. But the won't without an additional $500.

peter11435

NOTHING is Open on my dates. NOT the parks and NOT the resort.

If when I had booked many months ago, I chose July 15 instead of July 6, which were at the time priced the same, then I would be looking forward to my 3 night mini stay.

Instead Disney raised the price by $500 .

People say BBI TO BWV is a big upgrade! I DID NOT ask for an upgrade, in fact I told them I would stay in ANY accommodations to keep the price I paid , even a down grade.

Disney said Only deluxe DVC resorts will be open, SO Any change will cost me $.

Many people here say ' Everyone knows Disney policy, you change the date, you pay the difference'. Well we are in a Pandemic and that changes everything. Disney closed the whole property on a day that I paid to be there. I am retired and local and could go Any time they could accommodate me. But the won't without an additional $500.
Did you ask about studio availability at old key west or Saratoga Springs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom