News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I find it hilarious that people think that even with the limited capacity the parks are going to be filled and turning people away. If you look at the competitors, turning away the hoards of people clamoring at the gates has not been a problem. The Disney indoctrinated and social media idiots are itching to go, but it seems that there is no enthusiasm from the "normal" guest to return.

Perhaps Disney should be more worried about getting people to want to come back, versus only talking about turning people away.
The only time capacity limits will matter is for the first few weeks, maybe a month tops. There’s a pent up demand for sure from fanboy types. Between bloggers, lifestylers and other generally fanatical customers (People who visit WDW 2+ times a year) there will be a surge of demand at opening. That covers the first few weeks in July when capacity will also be lower. Come the third week of August a lot of Southern schools go back. Kids missed so much school at the end of last school year it’s going to be less likely people pull them from the start of the next school year. Also as time goes on capacity will ramp up at parks and hotels. The supply will likely exceed demand very quickly. I think all of the talk of fear of lack of capacity is really a very short term problem mostly for the people that have to be there when it first opens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe I'm way off base but it seems to me that once we get past this initial opening, down the line you would get your park reservation in advance of the 60 day dining reservation window, assuming park restaurants will be open. It doesn't make sense to make dining reservations in a park, with no park hoppers, if you don't already know what park you will be in on that day.

I just don't think it adds up to not know if you're getting into a park until after you arrive. That would also give most people the chance to cancel and get your resort reservation deposit back if you didn't get into enough parks to make your stay worthwhile.

Just a theory on my part. No inside info here...haha
I would assume the park and dining reservations may both be at 60 days. I think they already said at some point that when ADRs open back up the system won’t allow you to book an ADR for a restaurant in park you don’t have a reservation for.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The only time capacity limits will matter is for the first few weeks, maybe a month tops. There’s a pent up demand for sure from fanboy types. Between bloggers, lifestylers and other generally fanatical customers (People who visit WDW 2+ times a year) there will be a surge of demand at opening. That covers the first few weeks in July when capacity will also be lower. Come the third week of August a lot of Southern schools go back. Kids missed so much school at the end of last school year it’s going to be less likely people pull them from the start of the next school year. Also as time goes on capacity will ramp up at parks and hotels. The supply will likely exceed demand very quickly. I think all of the talk of fear of lack of capacity is really a very short term problem mostly for the people that have to be there when it first opens.

Those social media idiots can't even fill the smallest hotel on property and the locals that still have a job and source of income only seem to care when there are festivals at EPCOT. With regards to lifestylers and fanbois, last time I checked MCO is still at near the bottom of the list when it comes to passenger arrivals and that doesn't look likely to change, (especially with the travel quarantine requirements from NY/NJ/CT which make up the largest single group of arrivals into MCO, as well as the international travel restrictions). When those numbers get better than close to zero, then things will improve.

The competitors are not getting the crowds and to think Disney will because they are Disney is delusional. Have you seen the perks USO is giving to their AP holders? Free refillable beverages? Those aren't the actions of a company confident in having their parks at their limited capacity limit and turning people away.

PREMiERdrum

The new disclaimer stating that "a Resort Hotel reservation doesn't guarantee park access" does not mean that guests with existing reservations won't be able to buy tickets and make park reservations. They're simply protecting themselves from the inevitable Karen at the front desk.

The way I understand it:
1. Park Reservation System goes online for guests with packages to reserve their park dates.
2. Park Reservation System and new ticket sales go live for guests with existing resort reservations. (based on remaining capacity).
3. Park Reservation System is made available to APers (based on remaining capacity).
4. Park Reservation System is made available to guests with existing tickets (based on remaining capacity).
5. New ticket sales are made available to the GP, granting them access to the park reservation system (based on remaining capacity).

(3 and 4 could swap order)

I'd expect info released soon with access to begin within the next 2 weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those social media idiots can't even fill the smallest hotel on property and the locals that still have a job and source of income only seem to care when there are festivals at EPCOT. With regards to lifestylers and fanbois, last time I checked MCO is still at near the bottom of the list when it comes to passenger arrivals and that doesn't look likely to change, (especially with the travel quarantine requirements from NY/NJ/CT which make up the largest single group of arrivals into MCO, as well as the international travel restrictions). When those numbers get better than close to zero, then things will improve.

The competitors are not getting the crowds and to think Disney will because they are Disney is delusional. Have you seen the perks USO is giving to their AP holders? Free refillable beverages? Those aren't the actions of a company confident in having their parks at their limited capacity limit and turning people away.
DVC rooms are pretty much filled for the last 2 weeks of July. That wasn’t the case in May before the opening date was announced. That could be 15 to 20K guests alone. I think there will be a short term surge when it first opens. Disney definitely has a different customer base than Universal or Sea World. It won’t be packed compared to normal standards but it’s possible DHS hits capacity limits some days early on.

From all the reports I have seen those travel bans are largely just a political stunt. They aren’t enforced and currently the flight crews are just handing out a paper saying people should be self quarantining. I haven’t heard of any plans from Disney to stop people from certain states from entering their resorts or parks.

floydbeatle

I find it hilarious that people think that even with the limited capacity the parks are going to be filled and turning people away. If you look at the competitors, turning away the hoards of people clamoring at the gates has not been a problem. The Disney indoctrinated and social media idiots are itching to go, but it seems that there is no enthusiasm from the "normal" guest to return.

Perhaps Disney should be more worried about getting people to want to come back, versus only talking about turning people away.
I want to believe as well that they need guests, but based on their actions e.g. limited or reduced activities, no park hopping, no parades, no fireworks, they sure seem like they are doing all they can to discourage attendance. I for one, do not understand why they are opening at all at this point.

Disstevefan1

The new disclaimer stating that "a Resort Hotel reservation doesn't guarantee park access" does not mean that guests with existing reservations won't be able to buy tickets and make park reservations. They're simply protecting themselves from the inevitable Karen at the front desk.

The way I understand it:
1. Park Reservation System goes online for guests with packages to reserve their park dates.
2. Park Reservation System and new ticket sales go live for guests with existing resort reservations. (based on remaining capacity).
3. Park Reservation System is made available to APers (based on remaining capacity).
4. Park Reservation System is made available to guests with existing tickets (based on remaining capacity).
5. New ticket sales are made available to the GP, granting them access to the park reservation system (based on remaining capacity).

(3 and 4 could swap order)

I'd expect info released soon with access to begin within the next 2 weeks.

No matter what they say to the public, they better (in secret) have a policy that guarantees folks staying on property entrance to a park while they are staying there. This way they can say to the public, safety is their number one concern, while avoiding the screamfest of the guests paying big bucks to stay on property. Everyone’s happy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I want to believe as well that they need guests, but based on their actions e.g. limited or reduced activities, no park hopping, no parades, no fireworks, they sure seem like they are doing all they can to discourage attendance. I for one, do not understand why they are opening at all at this point.
The parades, fireworks and reduced activities aren’t to discourage attendance they are all things that are either difficult to physical distance at and also expensive to run. The lack of park hopping seems obvious with park reservations.

peter11435

That’s exactly why it’s important to understand this is all temporary. Once it’s decided/realized that this level of restriction is not needed it can and will be rolled back. They are just being prepared and it will likely only be necessary at the very beginning if that. But the initial opening capacity numbers for the parks are extremely low.

There are many factors that will need to improve beyond just having the parks open before attendance will pick up. And that could take years.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
DVC rooms are pretty much filled for the last 2 weeks of July. That wasn’t the case in May before the opening date was announced.

It's not so much that the rooms were filled, but removed from inventory or allocated to cash. There are going to be large sections of both DVC/Non-DVC hotels that have sections closed off initially.

CaptainAmerica

The thing that's impossible to quantify is how many people don't want to come back for which specific reason.

Group A doesn't want to come back because they're concerned about the virus and don't feel safe even with Disney's protective measures in place.

Group B doesn't want to come back because they don't want to visit the parks with Disney's protective measures in place.

Satisfying one group further alienates the other, and by trying to walk the tightrope between the two, they're not satisfying either.

floydbeatle

The parades, fireworks and reduced activities aren’t to discourage attendance they are all things that are either difficult to physical distance at and also expensive to run. The lack of park hopping seems obvious with park reservations.
Agreed. I just think they also have the unintended consequence of discouraging attendance. If some of the speculation is true, that Disney needs some guests to cancel, then some of these social distancing measures will also do the trick.

Patcheslee

Kids missed so much school at the end of last school year it’s going to be less likely people pull them from the start of the next school year.
Many schools are considering Elearning at the beginning of the year that will be a wait and see decision.
Honestly after 2 months of Elearning I question how missing a week of school for a vacation makes that large of an impact. We've already discussed the possibility of a mini vacation if our district does Elearning because we start towards the beginning of August already.

floydbeatle

Ask the guys up I-4.
Is that really the answer though? I know some have seen UO as the "trigger," but shouldn't Disney be worried about themselves? I think they could have easily said "We are just too big to open. We have city-sized responsibilities and in the interests of our cast members and guests we don't believe we can provide the Disney Magic at this time." (Or insert other flowery language.) I am not disputing that UO may have been the reasons for opening, but I can't shake the feeling that Disney was wholly unprepared to reopen at this time. I am going in August because I am DVC. But for DVC, I would probably not go for a couple of years. I feel like there will be a lull, and then in 2021, it will be packed more than ever to accommodate all the guests who delayed their vacations.

CLEtoWDW

No matter what they say to the public, they better (in secret) have a policy that guarantees folks staying on property entrance to a park while they are staying there. This way they can say to the public, safety is their number one concern, while avoiding the screamfest of the guests paying big bucks to stay on property. Everyone’s happy.
I believe I read yesterday that resort guests will not have guaranteed entrance which baffled me. So the guest paying $300+ per night to stay at your resort doesn’t get preferential treatment on attendance policies? Who in Gods name is making these policies?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom