News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

sjhym333

Based on the communication already sent out informing AP holders it may be difficult to get a park reservation it seems they are going to be below resort guests on park reservation priority. The AP holder reservations will definitely impact availability for anyone not staying at a Disney resort.
I agree. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I posted this in the NBA thread but it’s pretty interesting so sharing it here too.

Could WDW and other similar venues eventually use trained dogs at the front gates and at hotels for Covid detection?

Herdman

The question we have been contemplating is where do the “restrictions” become an over reaction by Disney. The logistics of these decisions appears to be a huge effort (not only for Disney but for the guest). I understand the need to conform to the CDC and Florida guidelines, but a number of the restrictions (I.e. no park hopping) do not appear to have any mitigating or protective impact in protecting Disney, its cast members or the Guests from the Virus. If I stay at the Beach club and walk to Hollywood Studios in the morning, walk back to the hotel for a dip in the pool, and then walk to Epcot for dinner and a ride or two, I don’t see where I have increased or decreased anyone’s exposure to the Virus, than If I stayed in Hollywood Studios all day, or if I came back to the Hotel, and returned back to Hollywood Studios. This particular decision appears to be poorly thought out. Someone should think through the un-intended consequences of these restrictions.
It's all about controlling the number of people in the park to be able to maintain physical distancing. With park hoppers they have no idea if/when a certain number of people may switch parks and make the capacity at the new park more than they can handle.

Herdman

Maybe I'm way off base but it seems to me that once we get past this initial opening, down the line you would get your park reservation in advance of the 60 day dining reservation window, assuming park restaurants will be open. It doesn't make sense to make dining reservations in a park, with no park hoppers, if you don't already know what park you will be in on that day.

I just don't think it adds up to not know if you're getting into a park until after you arrive. That would also give most people the chance to cancel and get your resort reservation deposit back if you didn't get into enough parks to make your stay worthwhile.

Just a theory on my part. No inside info here...haha

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, the Swan and Dolphin are taking reservations for beginning July 1.

For the Dolphin, prices from July 1 - July 28 are ridiculously high: About $700/night. Starting on July 29 and for months following, prices drop to about $160/night.

At the Swan, prices from July 1 - August 9 are ridiculously high: About $720/night. Starting on August 10, prices drop to about $170/night.

Now, before anyone says "NBA," it's understood that regular guests wouldn't be in the same hotel, so, none of those pricey rooms should be available at all.

Also, they need at least one of the resorts until mid-October.

Also, the ones not making the playoffs leave around Aug 17, which is a week after the discounted prices at the Swan.

So, what's up Swolphin?

disneygeek90

For the Dolphin, prices from July 1 - July 28 are ridiculously high: About $700/night. Starting on July 29 and for months following, prices drop to about $160/night.

At the Swan, prices from July 1 - August 9 are ridiculously high: About $720/night. Starting on August 10, prices drop to about $170/night.

Now, before anyone says "NBA," it's understood that regular guests wouldn't be in the same hotel, so, none of those pricey rooms should be available at all.

Also, the ones not making the playoffs leave around Aug 17, which is a week after the discounted prices at the Swan.

So, what's up Swolphin?
$700+ a night??? What the heck??? That's absolutely insane.

mdcpr

You had previously said Disney was going to be a one-and-done thing for you. Did you change your mind during/after your trip and plan to repeat at some point?
Good memory! Family is still not interested in most of the parks, but we loved staying at the Wilderness Lodge and wanted to go back to try another luxury resort with great amenities. The consensus is that the only park they would visit again would be Animal Kingdom. No interest in going back to MK, Epcot or HS.

dizda

So, what's up Swolphin?
I have two theories. First, they have been told that they might not re-open and do not want people booking during that period until a final decision has been made and are using pricing as the dis-incentive. Second, they have so many reservations that they can raise the rates (surge or demand pricing) and still have people willing to book the remaining rooms. I would guess that it is probably the first possibility rather than the second, but only Marriott knows for right now.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

So, what's up Swolphin?

Perhaps they are hoping some nba officials or high up media people will need rooms?

drnilescrane

So, what's up Swolphin?

It just means they aren't planning on opening the Dolphin before July 28 and the Swan before August 9th. Setting the rates to the maximum is the easiest way to stop sales before it's official in the system. Same thing happened from June 1 to July 1 last month before the closure was officially extended.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It just means they aren't planning on opening the Dolphin before July 28 and the Swan before August 9th. Setting the rates to the maximum is the easiest way to stop sales before it's official in the system. Same thing happened from June 1 to July 1 last month before the closure was officially extended.

Easier, tho, would be just posting 'no rooms available' which they do for all of June.

Patcheslee

Again, this isn’t forever. This is temporary. They have bigger concerns right now then “unintended consequences” that will disappear as soon as these restrictions do.

You are correct that not everyone will arrive at 11am and not everyone will leave at 9pm, but that’s exactly the point. That’s the goal.

Remember, Temporary.
I'd be interested to see if they put it to further use after the capacity limits are lifted. It may actually come in handy for days that have historically reached capacity depending on the implementation and feedback.

DisneyCane

I posted this in the NBA thread but it’s pretty interesting so sharing it here too.

Could WDW and other similar venues eventually use trained dogs at the front gates and at hotels for Covid detection?
Does it work if the person wears deodorant? At least at WDW, getting a sweat sample won't be a problem most of the year!

sjhym333

I have two theories. First, they have been told that they might not re-open and do not want people booking during that period until a final decision has been made and are using pricing as the dis-incentive. Second, they have so many reservations that they can raise the rates (surge or demand pricing) and still have people willing to book the remaining rooms. I would guess that it is probably the first possibility rather than the second, but only Marriott knows for right now.
I am more inclined to believe your second thought. They, like Disney, probably have a lot of existing reservations and they will also have to deal with the parks at limited capacity so by putting their prices so high they can dissuade new reservations. And if some one books at $700 a night more power to them.

sjhym333

I have a question for those of you who have been following the reopening of Shanghai closely. On these boards there has been a lot of discussion about capacity. I'm curious if as Shanghai has increased in park capacity have they also been increasing attraction capacity like opening up more theater seats or ride vehicle rows?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Remember that the parks largely don’t operate at or near capacity. If Epcot for example allowed 30% of its capacity in the park when it reopens that would be one of the busiest days you’ve ever seen at the park.

During the initial phase of reopening a more realistic number for the four parks would be roughly 50-60k
I find it hilarious that people think that even with the limited capacity the parks are going to be filled and turning people away. If you look at the competitors, turning away the hoards of people clamoring at the gates has not been a problem. The Disney indoctrinated and social media idiots are itching to go, but it seems that there is no enthusiasm from the "normal" guest to return.

Perhaps Disney should be more worried about getting people to want to come back, versus only talking about turning people away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have a question for those of you who have been following the reopening of Shanghai closely. On these boards there has been a lot of discussion about capacity. I'm curious if as Shanghai has increased in park capacity have they also been increasing attraction capacity like opening up more theater seats or ride vehicle rows?
Not sure if they publicly updated the numbers but Chapek was very clear that they would be ramping up capacity weekly by a few thousand people so assuming they followed that they may not have a problem with limited capacity. No clue on rides open.

TXRob

I find it hilarious that people think that even with the limited capacity the parks are going to be filled and turning people away. If you look at the competitors, turning away the hoards of people clamoring at the gates has not been a problem. The Disney indoctrinated and social media idiots are itching to go, but it seems that there is no enthusiasm from the "normal" guest to return.

Perhaps Disney should be more worried about getting people to want to come back, versus only talking about turning people away.
Yea the “youtubers” sucking on the pipe of WDW marketing are getting old. The DIS is the only honest source that has a large following.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom