News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

ImperfectPixie

You and I are both relatively young and we hopefully have the rest of our lives to go to parties and see friends again. Your MIL might not have that luxury. If you were in her shoes, you say you’d want to stay home so you don’t risk spending the end of your life sick. And that’s a respectable opinion, of course. Nothing wrong with that at all! But if I were in her shoes, I’d be thinking, “I don’t have much longer to live, I don’t want to spend it cooped up in the house, not enjoying life.” It sounds like your MIL knows her days are numbered and, to her, spending time with friends for her last bit of time on earth is worth the risk of that time being cut even shorter. Like a quality vs quantity kind of thing.
And I respect that, and so does my husband...which is why neither of us has confronted her about it. If I were in her shoes, I'd take the opposite approach and be safe...but go out and enjoy nature walks and stuff like that. We're taking comfort that she and her BF at least said they'd both be wearing masks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the Walt Disney World website:

Pending approval from government officials, the phased reopening plans we submitted calls for Walt Disney World theme parks and Disney Resort hotels to open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom followed by EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15.

Additionally, Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen to Members and Guests on June 22. Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will open on June 15. Disney Springs has begun a phased reopening. Upon reopening, theme parks, Disney Resort Hotels, restaurants and other offerings may be modified, limited in capacity and subject to availability or closure
Wow. They are really sticking it to DVC owners. That’s borderline criminal to do. I hope they offer people who have a reservation between June 22 and July 15 all the same cancellation benefits as they did when the resorts were closed. If not that’s really poor. We are within 30 days of that date so if they force cancelled points into a holding account that would be really messed up. No way should the resorts open before the parks.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited as we welcome guests back to the magic, we will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that will require all guests to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. At this time, we are temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations so we can focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations (Disney Vacation Club members can still make new reservations). Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold; we’ll be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new ticket sales and hotel reservations after that period of time. Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.

Additionally, Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World will reopen to members and guests and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen on June 22. Disney Vacation Club resorts in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will also open to members and guests starting on June 15. Plans to support required physical distancing as well as enhanced cleaning measures, along with a number of other safety and cleanliness protocols, will be implemented as part of this planned phased reopening. "

danv3

Wow. They are really sticking it to DVC owners. That’s borderline criminal to do. I hope they offer people who have a reservation between June 22 and July 15 all the same cancellation benefits as they did when the resorts were closed. If not that’s really poor. We are within 30 days of that date so if they force cancelled points into a holding account that would be really messed up. No way should the resorts open before the parks.

Yeah, that's really rough. While technically DVC ownership doesn't guarantee park access, I mean, come on. 99% of DVC members are going down there to visit Disney parks. Not to hang out at OKW and maybe visit Disney Springs.

CaptainAmerica

Yeah, that's really rough. While technically DVC ownership doesn't guarantee park access, I mean, come on. 99% of DVC members are going down there to visit Disney parks. Not to hang out at OKW and maybe visit Disney Springs.
I don't think DVC members will get priority access just by virtue of being DVC members. I think they might get priority access if and only if they're actively staying on property.

Giss Neric

I’m not the one who made the original point, but Legoland isn’t requiring masks, so maybe that’s what they’re thinking about?
Legoland barely gets busy. They can't scare away people cause they need people. Disney and Universal don't care if they scare away guests not wanting to wear masks cause they know people will come no matter what. There are thousands of them itching to go back to the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s fine if people want to do that. They could also go to Sea World, LEGOLAND or Universal but they should extend cancellation policies until the parks open. Maybe they will and it will be a non-issue. Actually I strongly feel they should extend DVC cancellation policies as long as there are capacity limits and a diminished park experience but that’s much less likely.

durangojim

Well I voted June, but we have a reservation starting July 12 for 12 nights at the GF. I have all my FPs for the appropriate parks and a table service restaurant each night. I’m looking forward to going but only if Disney will guarantee me entrance to the parks, rides, and restaurants we’ve made the reservations for. If not we may go for a short trip in December because our APs will have been extended out that far, but we’ll see.

Disney Maddux

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

scpergj

I don't think mandatory masks in Orlando in summer is any more feasible.
A few other things to remember here. First, masks will get very sweaty quickly, and once damp will harbor bacteria, which can cause other infections. I don’t think Disney really wants that to happen either. My bet is they expect to be able to cancel the mask requirement before or shortly after they reopen.

ImperfectPixie

Mask will be issue with Excess CO2 building as you wear a mask as will Hypercapnia!! Face Coverings in the FLORIDA SUN with HEAT and HUMIDITY will be Sweat Rags that Breed Infections and Skin Issues!! Masks will be ovens!! Relief areas will not cut it!! When people start passing out due to the increase of CO2 Disney will have problems with people passing out, headaches and more!! The body expels CO2 when Exhaling and any Mask or Covering limits the release and the CO2 returns into Body as it builds over an 6 to 8 to more Hour Day in the FLORIDA SUN and HEAT it will not be pretty! Disney Springs is not MK or EPCOT!! Masks should be optional because COVID is basically killed in the Sun in about 60 secs...The PARTICLES people speak of when in HIGH HUMIDITY are ABSORBED and weighed down which makes COVID in the FLORIDA SUN and HUMIDITY extremely difficult to pass and survive!! Universal Volcano Bay will not require MASKS I think because of the IN and OUT of WATER!! Volcano Bay will do extremely well!! Disney will have to look to Open Blizzard Bleach and Typhoon Lagoon ASAP!! The Resorts should open!! Hotels are OPEN ALL OVER FLORIDA and there is no reason Disney cannot Manage!! Universal will be out shortly with HOTEL PLANS as well!
The CO2 is NOT TRUE. I was worried about the same until a friend who works in health-care set me straight.

Mainahman

The main reasons for going to a Halloween Party are the parade, fireworks, and trick-or-treating. Parades and fireworks are currently off. I'm not sure trick-or-treating would be a good idea either. It would be awfully hard to maintain any kind of social distancing between CMs with candy and guests.
I mostly go for the overlays in the attractions, candy for the car ride back home LOL, and the fireworks. if they dont do fireworks, its not worth it to me. We shall see.

danv3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom