Walt Disney World vs. Dubailand (from MiceAge)

wickedfan07

Original Poster
Over at MiceAge, Kevin Yee has a new article that focuses on Dubailand and how its opening could affect WDW. It makes a few interesting points: If gas prices in the US stay high (or get higher!) over the long term, American tourists may be less likely to travel cross-country to visit WDW. While international tourists are currently drawn to the American parks because of the weaker dollar, they could eventually be drawn to Dubailand instead. How does WDW react to this?

Direct link: http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky052708a.htm

So, what do you think? Is WDW in danger of major attendance decreases? (And please spare any negative comments about Kevin Yee. We already know a lot of people don't like him.)

MKCP 1985

Over at MiceAge, Kevin Yee has a new article that focuses on Dubailand and how its opening could affect WDW. It makes a few interesting points: If gas prices in the US stay high (or get higher!) over the long term, American tourists may be less likely to travel cross-country to visit WDW. While international tourists are currently drawn to the American parks because of the weaker dollar, they could eventually be drawn to Dubailand instead. How does WDW react to this?

Direct link: http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky052708a.htm

So, what do you think? Is WDW in danger of major attendance decreases? (And please spare any negative comments about Kevin Yee. We already know a lot of people don't like him.)

Are you his mother? :lol:

More "sky is falling," doomsaying from miceage. :rolleyes:

Philo

It will enevitably have an effect on WDW, if people save for one holiday a year then it might be to Dubai and not Disney, especially for people who live closer to Dubai than America.

However, Visiting Disney World will always be dream for many people so I dont think Disney are sweating. They know that the biggest, best park in the world with amazing attractions doesn't beat having cinderalla's castle.

maryszhi

i wouldnt be surprised if in the next ten years disney opens one in dubai. i also think they should open one in the carribbean.

KeithVH

Sssshhhhhhhhhhhh.:drevil:

More people going to Dubai = less people going to Disney (in a perfect world). That is goodness for me.

Wilt Dasney

You can see why there is excitement, and in fact building momentum, for Dubailand and neighboring projects. If the weakness in the United States dollar persists, as some experts are predicting, and middle-eastern tensions subside, then the international tourists may continue visiting WDW… until Dubailand comes on line and becomes compelling.

Sure...a region of the world that's been on fire for most of my lifetime will calm down in time for Dubailand's grand opening. I can see that.

But beyond the silliness of that expectation is the question of why he thinks this is a necessary condition to attract visitors to begin with. Dubai has done quite well for itself considering all the stuff going on around it. I'd think they'd be happy just to keep all the nutcases outside of the UAE rather than worrying about putting out all the fires around them.

ddbutts1

How many Arabs or Persons from that particular region of th world do you see at WDW. In my visits I rarely see any. The point being, Arabs are not coming to America on vacation. Dubailand is filling the need for that area of the world. (It may sound anti-Arab but that is not my point)

I would rather travel to disneyland paris, or tokyo disney or any disney park that is pretty far from me than go to Dubailand. It is just not a part of the world i feel very safe in and i can get all those rides at various parks across america if i really want to ride them.

bfbulldog

Wow, after laughing hysterically at the absurdity of this article for the last 15 minutes. I've composed myself enough to ask a couple of itty, bitty questions.

OK, so you say there's a giant park being developed in Dubai which is smack in the middle of the middle east. And after all the middle east is the world's playground, just read this Miceage article, it says so right in it!! And what we're being asked to accept is that tourists from around the globe are going to abandon Disney World and other American parks so that they can visit a part of the world that has been in a constant state of war for the last oh I don't know 2 to 3 THOUSAND years or so. And these people are gonna do this why?? Oh yeah, it's because they're gonna have a six flags, seaworld a ferris wheel, and some hotels and shops. Yeah, none of that near Disney World. Oooh yeah, I almost forgot, this is all dependent on just one little thing. The terrorist need to play nice and agree to follow the construction schedule for this project. That means the jihadists need to go ahead wrap up their little war some time later this year to ensure an on time opening of phase one in late 2008.

Fast forward to the real world and riddle me this, what happens when the terrorists don't agree to wrap up their jihad and in fact are now so ticked off that the capitalist pigs are setting up shop in their backyard they ramp up their attacks?? What happens when one or several attacks is carried out separately or simultaneously and kills 500-5000 of these "playground" morons. Why not just ask everyone who visits to wear t-shirts with giant bulls eyes on them. This place would be like shooting fish in a barrel for the terrorists. Just imagine all the press they'd get by blowing up a ride or several and killing a couple thousand people.

Get real, if this place is built it'll be nothing more than a test firing range for all the terrorists in the region. It'll be what's called a high value target.

Why not just stick to writing articles that have some hint of reality in them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I blame (places like) Dubai for the high price of oil, so going to Dubailand is certainly out of the question.

wickedfan07

Original Poster
Are you his mother? :lol:

Nope. Wouldn't know him if I ran into him in the street. However, the discussion here is much more interesting if we can get past the fact that Miceage can sometimes be a little...off. Just looking for some good discussion.

By posting this I didn't mean to imply that I agreed with Yee's opinion on Dubailand. I think that building a huge tourist destination in the middle of a tremendously violent place is a weird idea. For that reason alone I highly doubt Disney would ever build anything (even as small as a hotel) in the complex. The last thing Disney needs is to have to recover from terrorist activity in one of their properties. Gas prices here in America have a greater change of hurting WDW's attendance than Dubailand does. International tourists may be more savvy when it comes to odd or exotic destinations, but I don't know if people are going to be attracted to the UAE for a family-friendly vacation.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Dubai is already a major tourist destination for a lot of European visitors, not just middle eastern visitors.

They already have plans to build a Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Discovery Cove, Six Flags, Dreamworks, Marvel and many other theme parks and that's just the beginning.

Do I think it could lure people away from visiting Orlando? Absolutely, if it gets built the way they're expecting, it is going to be massive

wdwfan100

I personally would not make any plans on visiting Dubai. The scale of construction is truly impressive. Why would I go there to visit them parks that are already here? I am sure that it will be quite a success in it own right. That being said, I do not think that Disney will be terribly impacted. I believe the demand for Disney will continue to grow, Dubai or no Dubai.

Dragonrider1227

Granted, this may cause SOME people to stop going to WDW, but Disney's got competition right next door that's yet to put them in Bankruptcy. I doubt this park in the Middle East is going to hurt them too badly

hemloc

What could those pesky Dubai folks be up to... Well, here's a good one for starters:

What on earth are they building?? A nuclear reactor??

dubai1.jpg

Looks pretty scary, eh?? Something nefarious is totally afoot!!

dubai2.jpg

OMG!! There must've been a horrible accident!! Look at all the fallout, eek!
dubai3.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist!! At least it looks like they know how to have fun, and if they can bring snow to the desert, it might be a wild place to visit after all!!)

Mouse Crazy

Living in the UK should make Dubailand more appealing, It doesn't Dubai is certainly a place to visit for it's own merits and once there I think people will go to Dubai Land but I doubt that they will make a special trip. Having visited Disney Land resort Paris on 2 occasions I can tell you that it lacks the feeling that WDW offers, Personally I can fly there in less than an hour but would rather take a whole day to travel to WDW. I dont believe this will have a negative tourist impact more likely to impact the available talent pool for imagineering to draw on

TestTrack

If the weakness in the United States dollar persists, as some experts are predicting, and middle-eastern tensions subside, then the international tourists may continue visiting WDW… until Dubailand comes on line and becomes compelling.

:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom