Walt Disney World vs. Dubailand (from MiceAge)

PhilosophyMagic

How come nobody has mentioned the most important thing:

IF Dubailand is successful, it will surely prompt Disney to counter it with new attractions! And that would surely mean new e-rides and other very impressive additions!

That's what competition is for - so bring it on!

MousDad

Just a couple thoughts.

It is my understanding that the UAE is the Arab nation (in that region) with the least oil-driven economy. I have read that they are intentionally changing the thrust of their economy to one of a finance and tourist center (supposedly to be the strongest Arab economy standing once the worldwide consumption of oil slows, which it has to eventually).

To think that The Walt Disney Company (as a global company, which it is) is not worried about Dubai's impact would be a little naive. If I'm running Paris, I'm sweating bullets.

To think that the developers of Dubai care about American tourist dollars (or whether American citizens are afraid to travel there) is also naive. The Americans they mostly care about would be the super rich. They are more interested in attracting the tourist dollars of the other 95% of the world's population.

Maybe, just maybe, Disney isn't building there because they understand that they would only be a bit player, not the big dog in town. In order for Disney to build there, and still be Disney, they would probably have to invest more than all their other theme park ventures combined. I don't see them (or any American company) having that kind of global weight to throw around.

I will probably never go, because I don't see any way I would ever afford it. But what they are building there is mind-boggling and would really be something to experience. I say, hats off to them for their ambition and enterprise.

Lucky

There's a growing market worldwide for theme park entertainment. Dubailand and other new parks will help meet that growing demand, but won't be a real threat to existing first-rate parks as long as they don't get complacent.

Look at the growth in population and in average income in the U.S. and around the world. If there weren't new parks being built, the existing ones would either raise prices even more than they have, or be swamped with guests year-round.

If the dollar stays weak that will help WDW, by keeping Americans' vacation dollars here and by luring more tourists from abroad.

I don't think the risk of terrorism incidents will be very different for Dubailand v. any other theme park.

Lucky

Dubai is already a major tourist destination for a lot of European visitors, not just middle eastern visitors.

They already have plans to build a Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Discovery Cove, Six Flags, Dreamworks, Marvel and many other theme parks and that's just the beginning.

Do I think it could lure people away from visiting Orlando? Absolutely, if it gets built the way they're expecting, it is going to be massive
Dubailand is supposed to include a Universal Studios within it.

But if they built all the parks on that list, all of Dubai would be one big theme park. Dubai is only the size of Osceola county.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Dubailand is supposed to include a Universal Studios within it.

But if they built all the parks on that list, all of Dubai would be one big theme park. Dubai is only the size of Osceola county.

After reading the Kevin Yee article, some of it is being built in Abu Dhabi, right nearby. I know the Sea World/Busch Gardens/Discovery Cove complex is being built at the end of one of the "palm" islands of houses they're building

disneytopdog

I am sorry, but they could build the most amazing park in the world, that had no waitlines and build a new super attraction every year.

Of all the places in the world Dubai is the last place I would ever want to add to my list of "countries I have visited"

KingStefan

Wow, after laughing hysterically at the absurdity of this article for the last 15 minutes. I've composed myself enough to ask a couple of itty, bitty questions.
...Get real, if this place is built it'll be nothing more than a test firing range for all the terrorists in the region. It'll be what's called a high value target.

Why not just stick to writing articles that have some hint of reality in them.

Apparently, you do not know so much about Dubai. Right now, it is a premier international playplace for the rich and famous. They probably have more luxury hotels than anywhere else in the world (I'd have to check this, but I believe it to be true). The flagship hotel, Burj Al Arab, had their cheapest accomodations for next month advertised for about $1300/night, and they fill up a those prices. It is far from a war-torn part of the world.

Plus, terrorists would not want to attack it. They want to attack American and Western icons. These hotels and Dubailand itself is being build by the Arab interests, and even though they are our allies (for the most part), it is not likely to be a terrorist target. At least not as likely as western-owned things.

jtwyatt

In terms of American tourists...Dubai is not a threat...while this area may be up and comming, it is still in a region that most americans consider dangerous in this day and age...

In terms of European Visitors....if you compare prices of air/hotels...ect...(using london as a base) there is not much difference in the cost of the trips, in many parts because of the weak US Dollar.

fosse76

In terms of American tourists...Dubai is not a threat...while this area may be up and comming, it is still in a region that most americans consider dangerous in this day and age...

In terms of European Visitors....if you compare prices of air/hotels...ect...(using london as a base) there is not much difference in the cost of the trips, in many parts because of the weak US Dollar.

I disagree. The ignorance of Americans travelling there aside, it could conceivably reduce the attendance at Walt Disney World. Americans seem to be the only population that rarely travels outside its borders, so Disney doesn't have to worry about losing them. The rest of the world, however, has no problem travelling around the globe, and this can very seriously impact Disney in the future. With the weak dollar, it probably won't have any immediate effect. But using London as a base is not proper, since the Pound is the strongest currency, and most Europeans use the Euro, which isn't as strong as the Pound.

But Disney should worry about American tourists as well. Prices for almost everything are unjustifiably going up, and at a certain point people won't be travelling as much. Not everyone is rich.

DisneyMusician2

I find Kevin Yee extremely hard to read, mostly because the stuff is ridiculous to the point of being unenjoyable.

People have predicated WDW attendance decreases from 2001 for a variety of reasons, and every year they continue to rise.

I'll believe it when I see it.

bgraham34

I disagree. The ignorance of Americans travelling there aside, it could conceivably reduce the attendance at Walt Disney World. Americans seem to be the only population that rarely travels outside its borders, so Disney doesn't have to worry about losing them. The rest of the world, however, has no problem travelling around the globe, and this can very seriously impact Disney in the future. With the weak dollar, it probably won't have any immediate effect. But using London as a base is not proper, since the Pound is the strongest currency, and most Europeans use the Euro, which isn't as strong as the Pound.

But Disney should worry about American tourists as well. Prices for almost everything are unjustifiably going up, and at a certain point people won't be travelling as much. Not everyone is rich.

Its true most Americans dont travel overseas but more travel inside the US. Its the proximity. Europeans can travel to other countries like we travel to other states. Most people here dont want to spend 8 hours on a plane. So we go from coast to coast. Not too mention the language barrier. I have just started to go to Europe in the last few years. Its always a big expense and most Americans dont want to spend that kind of money to travel overseas.

DisneyLeo18

dont most of the countries over there hate us anyway?? if they do they want to come here on vacation. oh well i will still be in WDW every year = )

fosse76

Its true most Americans dont travel overseas but more travel inside the US. Its the proximity. Europeans can travel to other countries like we travel to other states. Most people here dont want to spend 8 hours on a plane. So we go from coast to coast. Not too mention the language barrier. I have just started to go to Europe in the last few years. Its always a big expense and most Americans dont want to spend that kind of money to travel overseas.

That's definitely true. And as the US Dollar gets weaker, more and more foreign tourists will be coming here. However, should the dollar get stronger again, Dubailand COULD become a threat to Disney World. It depends on WHY foreigners go to Disney World. Is it because it is Disney, or is it because it is a big tourist destination. There are several global Disney parks, so if it is the latter then Disney should worry.

DisneyYorkian74

However, should the dollar get stronger again
It's an inevitability that the US Dollar will get stronger again.

I'm sure these things go in cycles and the US Dollar has to get weaker from time-to-time so it can remain competitive in a world economy.

fosse76 said:
Is it because it is Disney, or is it because it is a big tourist destination.

I think it's obvious that WDW is so successful because it is Disney.

That's one variable (and the most important variable) that no other company has and that's why no other theme park/amusement park resort destinations are as nearly successful.

Going to WDW is considered as a right-of-passage for Americans and I'm sure for many other people around the globe as well.

Going to Dubai or Dubailand is not...

phlydude

no one mentioned the obvious...

You think it is hot in Florida in the summer? 120° (dry or not) is hot enough to cause people to think twice about exerting themselves in the desert heat

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom