News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

cranbiz

Try using LED bulbs with your garage door opener. See if you have any problems opening it, then ask your manufacturer what kind of bulb works best to not interfere with its operation.

LED’s are fine and dandy but have limitations. Not to mention most LED bulb failures are related to the circuitry needed, not the LED itself. Costs need to come down further, as they are still silly expensive in some instances.
LED's work in my garage door openers just fine.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
LED's work in my garage door openers just fine.
Work, yes. They light up when they are supposed to. But the circuitry inside them has a tendency to interfere with the radio signals used by the remote control devices, either physical boxes or the buttons in your car you can program (this is directly from a garage door install/repair company who would only benefit if you had problems). This leads to intermittent functionality problems. Sometimes it's fine. Other times, you can sit in your driveway 15 feet from the opener and it won't open. Our current garage door opener specifically says to use incandescent bulbs.

cranbiz

Work, yes. They light up when they are supposed to. But the circuitry inside them has a tendency to interfere with the radio signals used by the remote control devices, either physical boxes or the buttons in your car you can program (this is directly from a garage door install/repair company who would only benefit if you had problems). This leads to intermittent functionality problems. Sometimes it's fine. Other times, you can sit in your driveway 15 feet from the opener and it won't open. Our current garage door opener specifically says to use incandescent bulbs.
Again, not an issue with mine. I have plenty of range on my remotes, both homelink transmitters in 2 of my Jeeps or the factory remote in my other Jeep and the factory remote in my kitchen. My house sits on a triangle plot and my driveway connects to 2 streets with at least 100' to the street on either end of the driveway. I hit the button approaching the driveway, door opens.

Both of my openers are 4 year old Chamberlain openers I bought at Lowes on clearance. Yes, they said to use incandescent bulbs for best performance but did not explicatively state not to use LED bulbs.

I can certainly see older openers having issues but on newer openers, it should not be an issue. It's not like the incandescent ban is something new, it's been coming for some time now.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I love how this straw and lid thread has happily derailed into LED lighting and garage door openers. I put compact florescent bulbs in my garage door opener.

Ick. Those are toxic waste.

To get back on track - Cups without lids are a problem and spillage risk. Nothing in this is "green" except the amount of money Disney intends to eventually save by purchasing fewer lids and straws. Paper straws are fine for about 10 minutes, then begin to soften and deteriorate. I should not need to bring my own straws. As noted, straws are such a drop in the proverbial bucket it's not even funny.

Disstevefan1

Ick. Those are toxic waste.

To get back on track - Cups without lids are a problem and spillage risk. Nothing in this is "green" except the amount of money Disney intends to eventually save by purchasing fewer lids and straws. Paper straws are fine for about 10 minutes, then begin to soften and deteriorate. I should not need to bring my own straws. As noted, straws are such a drop in the proverbial bucket it's not even funny.
Hmm, I wonder if there will be more slip and fall lawsuits as a result of the removal of self service lids?

TrainsOfDisney

The best way for Disney to reduce unsortable waste would be to replace trash cans in restaurants with tray returns and staff that processed your tray return.. properly handling waste into the right disposal method.
They still do that at a few locations in Disneyland, plaza inn and the Mexican place in Frontierland for sure. I think at WDW they do that at the avatar restaurant as well.

it’s also great customer service to not expect guests to clear their own tables so it’s a big win in that department as well.

As for not selling merchandise that just silly.
There are certainly ways to sell merchandise in a way that cuts down on waste though.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And glass is 100 percent recyclable! Not the case for plastic.
But Coke doesn't want to be in the bottle gathering/transporting/washing/reusing business. They want to sell Coke in one-time disposable bottles so it's not their problem any more.

Disstevefan1

But Coke doesn't want to be in the bottle gathering/transporting/washing/reusing business. They want to sell Coke in one-time disposable bottles so it's not their problem any more.
My comment was not related to Coke, just in general.

I understand in general glass is too heavy to go back to for any company.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
They never served me a beer with a straw and a lid at world showcase and I have never spilled a single drop. I assume that people drinking soda are capable of similar feats.
I'm not talking about adult beverages, obviously. And I'm also capable of not spilling my soda, like I said, it's the crowds and people bumping into me who'd cause the spill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom