News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

MrPromey

In any case, I'm getting a whiplash of deja vu from the last time they tried this (and the thread here that echoes this one quite nicely), where people start arguing about "why do you need ice anyway? I don't like ice in my drinks, I like them warm..." and the folks that don't realize that fountain soda isn't refrigerated (and if it was, more environmental impact from refrigerants), is formulated to be served with ice in these cups with lids, and all kinds of other bickering that avoids the point that like most times a company says they are doing something to "go green" they are lying through their teeth, it's just to save money or get social media points.

MrPromey

I am totally in favor of getting rid of incandescent bulbs in favor of LEDs, but I want my straws and lids!
Yeah, it's a weird argument (I have to assume they were joking) since one is about replacing an outdated technology with a newer one that's generally better in nearly every way* unless you're relying on that bulb for heat or to power small solar panels on indoor products while the other, for the sake of a lot of this discussion is just removing or reducing access to something without other adjustments to offset/compensate.

Sturdier cups, lids made of compostable materials with spouts - there are definitely solutions available. They'd cost more money for Disney, which is why they're going to at least try to avoid that route. If they hadn't already jacked prices up "because they can", they'd have wiggle room to pass the modest per-unit up-charge to guests in the pricing but since it's already ridiculous, I can understand why that would be unpopular.

*I don't think most people really miss rotary phones in any practical sense while sitting on their smart phone watching Youtube, for instance

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I like my incandescent light bulbs --stocked on them before the great ban
I know folks love their incandescents.

I just purchased a LED floor lamp that produces any shade of white you like, I was surprised, its very impressive.

Moving away from incandescents is one of the greatest, painless, passive way to save energy (and maybe save the planet ;) ) as LEDs use a fraction of the power needed to generate more light.

LittleBuford

In any case, I'm getting a whiplash of deja vu from the last time they tried this (and the thread here that echoes this one quite nicely), where people start arguing about "why do you need ice anyway? I don't like ice in my drinks, I like them warm..." and the folks that don't realize that fountain soda isn't refrigerated (and if it was, more environmental impact from refrigerants), is formulated to be served with ice in these cups with lids, and all kinds of other bickering that avoids the point that like most times a company says they are doing something to "go green" they are lying through their teeth, it's just to save money or get social media points.
I’m not sure what ice has to do with this. I was only joking when I started that particular tangent. No-one as I recall is suggesting that those who like ice in their drinks should go without, nor would avoiding ice get around the cups’ flimsiness.

LittleBuford

But I want my incandescent bulbs that use more energy and burn out more frequently! I thought this was Amurrica!
I confess to still using incandescent Christmas lights in my apartment. To my eyes, the LED ones looks terrible by comparison (especially the blue). It would be very easy for some company to start manufacturing incandescent-style LED Christmas lights, but I’ve not found any (except in larger sizes).

Marionnette

If having a lid and a straw is that important bring a insulated cup with a lid and straw order your drink and pour it into your own cup and give the CM back their lidless cupView attachment 738867
I love my Yeti at home but DANG those things are heavy! I carried one around the MK for one day and left it in the room for the remainder of the trip. Now, if anyone can point me to a reusable lid for those paper cups, I'll buy one and use it on my next trip (along with my reusable straws).

But, for the average guest I'm still not in favor of playing "hide the lids and straws". I'm glad that they're behind the counter 8n order to prevent guests from taking more than they need. But I don't think it is a positive move anytime that a guest has to make a request for something that is considered to be normally included with a food/beverage order.

DisneyCane

But I want my incandescent bulbs that use more energy and burn out more frequently! I thought this was Amurrica!
That's not a valid analogy. LED bulbs (the well designed ones at least) are as good at providing quality light as incandescent bulbs, last much longer and use much less energy. There is very little downside except for the higher initial cost which is paid for in energy savings very quickly.

If Disney wants to go zero waste to landfill, how about using recyclable materials to make lids and straws and then recycling them. Or, use compostable lids and straws and make a big compost pile on property somewhere. If there is an additional cost (which I'm sure there would be) relative to plastic then charge a little more for drinks. The slight cost increase will be irrelevant in the scheme of the overall cost increases at WDW.

The goal of "environmentally friendly" changes should be to change what we are used to and enjoy as little as possible while being better to the environment. Phasing out straws and lids makes a massive change to what we are used to when innovation can be employed to be environmentally friendly while maintaining the current level that civilization has reached.

DisneyCane

I confess to still using incandescent Christmas lights in my apartment. To my eyes, the LED ones looks terrible by comparison (especially the blue). It would be very easy for some company to start manufacturing incandescent-style LED Christmas lights, but I’ve not found any (except in larger sizes).
I agree that the LED mini Christmas lights do not have the same warmth as the incandescent counterparts. The colors are too stark. I use LEDs for my outdoor display but still use incandescent for the Christmas tree inside to get the right "holiday feel." The Christmas tree lights aren't lit up for enough hours per year nor are they high enough wattage to really worry about the additional power consumption.

erasure fan1

I'm right there with you on this one. Those led xmas lights are just so grating on the eyes.

Mireille

Premium Member
That's not a valid analogy. LED bulbs (the well designed ones at least) are as good at providing quality light as incandescent bulbs, last much longer and use much less energy. There is very little downside except for the higher initial cost which is paid for in energy savings very quickly.

If Disney wants to go zero waste to landfill, how about using recyclable materials to make lids and straws and then recycling them. Or, use compostable lids and straws and make a big compost pile on property somewhere. If there is an additional cost (which I'm sure there would be) relative to plastic then charge a little more for drinks. The slight cost increase will be irrelevant in the scheme of the overall cost increases at WDW.

The goal of "environmentally friendly" changes should be to change what we are used to and enjoy as little as possible while being better to the environment. Phasing out straws and lids makes a massive change to what we are used to when innovation can be employed to be environmentally friendly while maintaining the current level that civilization has reached.
Or bring a reusable straw? Everyplace I go they've switched to paper straws, so I have a foldable silicone straw that fits in a little case I have on my keychain. I honestly think they should stop offering disposable cups, too, (or charge for them) since most everyone brings in their own water bottle anyway. It's a change that, whatever Disney's motives, should be made. Plastic uses petroleum to make which is a huge waste. And compostable/recyclable lids and straws still take energy to make. I find the sturm und drang about this whole thing ridiculous. People just want to be mad, dreaming up scenarios where they can ruin a CMs day by being a huge Karen and throwing a fit in QS because they weren't given a straw without being asked.

Justinate

Who dumps the most plastic into the ocean It ain't us

"World’s top 10 ocean plastic contributors

Based on a study by Science Advances in 2021, the Philippines is the leading country on the list of top 10 ocean plastic contributors – generating an estimated 356,371 MT of plastic waste in our ocean. This is followed by India (126,513 MT) Malaysia (73,098 MT), China (70,707 MT), Indonesia (56,333 MT), Myanmar (40,000 MT), Brazil (37,799 MT), Vietnam (28,221 MT), Bangladesh (24,640 MT), and Thailand (22,806 MT)2. The primary contributors to ocean plastic pollution are concentrated in developing Asian nations, with the exception of Brazil."
Your information is based on a fatally flawed premise. Western countries, including the USA, are originators of much of this plastic trash - you ship it to developing countries at a very low price and expect them to dispose of it appropriately. Look at the size of most of the countries on that list - all densely populated and developing. Where do you expect the trash is going to end up? Endless landfills on top of which their populations should live?

If we were to scrutinize the actual origin of the plastic trash in the oceans, the US ends up placing THIRD. And in terms of overall plastic waste, the US is TOP.

And that's just for plastic pollution. The US is also the worst contributor of carbon emissions per capita - way, way ahead of the countries on your list.

John park hopper

Those of us old enough can remember when soda was in glass bottles with a deposit. milk was also. As kids we would look for bottles and get the deposit ------buy candy. Most things were in glass-- plastic was a rarity --now it's rare to see anything in glass. Wonder whats more friendly to the environment.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Those of us old enough can remember when soda was in glass bottles with a deposit. milk was also. As kids we would look for bottles and get the deposit ------buy candy. Most things were in glass-- plastic was a rarity --now it's rare to see anything in glass. Wonder whats more friendly to the environment.
Probably not that easy to quantify because you'd have to look at beginning-to-end life of product from materials and energy used to make on through disposal or prep for reuse/recycling. In between, you also have to account for waste in the form of breakage, impact of added weight on transport, added packaging to prevent breaking during transport, etc.

I'm sure someone's run those numbers somewhere but outside of the industry, I don't know that it would be possible to get a clear picture on that.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's not even just glass vs plastic... it's about how you handle it. Goto other countries in the world and you have deposits on plastic bottles and self-serve redemption vending machines that not just take the bottles, give you money back, but shred the bottles to increase their holding capacity. It helps address the recycling separation issues, it provides a CONVENIENT way to get deposits back, etc.

What is more friendly is a complicated topic - because there are so many factors. Like, how much material is actually needed in the end product (a huge advantage to plastic grocery bags), how much it takes to generate, etc. This is why this is rarely about something that is 'better in every diminsion' and more about what elements you are trying to optimize for.

Example: We want to reduce landfill waste, but rely on a process that is more costly energy wise... but do so because energy we can optimize in other ways too.. on top of landfill reduction.

Paper production is an example of where these decisions are complex... because of the pollution during generation is a concern.. that can be weighed separately from the lifecycle concerns of the product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom