Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

pj8788

Found the pic I was thinking of in Marni's photo album.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=7857&size=big&cat=500&sort=1

From looking at that pic of the master plan, we can probably make some assumptions from the shape of the pools. To me they look like a rocket ship, a coke bottle, and a US route marker sign (probably route 66 themed).

Edit: Route 66? I think we know which buildings will have the Cars theme now!

If they follow that same design do you think they will put Finding Nemo and Little Mermaid along side each other like the 80s/90s buildings?

wolf359

I don't understand the perceived need for re-theming Pop Century. That resort has existed for seven years and has obviously made a lasting impression based on how popular and highly regarded it is. Why would Disney want to mess around with that?

Is it just because you'll be able to see the new resort from Pop and vice-versa? That hardly seems like a compelling reason when you consider the number of resorts already on property when you can see one or more other resorts in plain view.

Figment632

I don't understand the perceived need for re-theming Pop Century. That resort has existed for seven years and has obviously made a lasting impression based on how popular and highly regarded it is. Why would Disney want to mess around with that?

Is it just because you'll be able to see the new resort from Pop and vice-versa? That hardly seems like a compelling reason when you consider the number of resorts already on property when you can see one or more other resorts in plain view.

Agreed for example you have the Beach and Yacht Club that are connected and then you have PO Riverside and PO French Quarter.

wserratore1963

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010...hotel-dubbed-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

One its face, it seems a little surprising given the economy; however, now would be the time to build with the labor market depressed, costs will be lower. Plus, 2012 is reasonably far away, Disney may fully expect the market to recover by then. Moreover, the company probably knows what the demand is for Value Resorts (although one can't help but wonder if fewer Values would 'push' people into Moderates...or would they push too many people off site?).
I agree now is the time to build and take advantage of the current economic conditions; however what I think is really missing from all this building, is to extend the monorail to include DHS.

DisneyMusician2

I agree. I like the Pop the way it is and wouldn't want it rethemed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is no financial incentive for WDW to retheme the existing Pop Century resort.

The new resort will have its own separate themeing.
(How do you spell themeing?)

Tks.
:)
There actually might be. The big draw for pop right now is their transportation system. If Pop and AA end up sharing a bus system that draw will drop off. Guests really like the themed rooms at CBR and a similar redo at PoP might be in order if, and only if, numbers at Pop drop off after AA opens up.

RiversideBunny

There actually might be. The big draw for pop right now is their transportation system. If Pop and AA end up sharing a bus system that draw will drop off. Guests really like the themed rooms at CBR and a similar redo at PoP might be in order if, and only if, numbers at Pop drop off after AA opens up.

I see it that:

1. Pop Century is very popular with many guests and there will not be a drop off.
2. The main thrust of the new AA resort will be the family suites which won't impact most current Pop Century guests directly.
3. Each of the resorts, the new AA and the exising Pop Century, are large enough that they will have their own bus system.
4. I see no connection with the busses and the theme at Pop Century.

fosse76

What will most likely happen is that Studios and Animal Kingdom routes will share a bus full-time, just as the All-Stars do. Magic Kingdom and Epcot routes will run dedicated buses to each hotel during peak times in the morning and evening, and then combined buses during mid-day.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I've been on busses from the All Stars that went to DHS and DAK without going to another All Stars resort.

One thing that you can benefit from, though, is that if the line for one side gets obnormally long, you can hop on a bus to the other hotel and have an easy walk back to your room.

-Rob

That will be a big bonus regardless of whether or not they share busses. I did that when I stayed at All Star Movies. The All Star Music Bus stop was closer to my room than the one for my resort, and the bus line from the parks back to my resort was always longer than the one for Music.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I see it that:

1. Pop Century is very popular with many guests and there will not be a drop off. Definitely possible. Time will tell.
2. The main thrust of the new AA resort will be the family suites which won't impact most current Pop Century guests directly. True. There will be some defection from people that want more room or have larger parties but I do not see it cannibalizing the other resorts all that much.
3. Each of the resorts, the new AA and the exising Pop Century, are large enough that they will have their own bus system. No they aren't at least no more so then the All Stars which share a bus system. Pop and AA combined will be almost identical in size the the three All Stars.
4. I see no connection with the busses and the theme at Pop Century. The point I was making is that the only draw that Pop has over the All Stars is the bus system. It is better because it is not shared with 2 other resorts. When you remove the bus system from the equation it is on par with the other Value resorts. If Pop ends up sharing a bus route with AA (and there is no precedents showing that it won't) It's big draw is gone. The Nemo and Pirate rooms at CBR have been shown to be a big draw for that resort. If Pops numbers drop off after AA is open then retheming the resort AND the rooms to match AA could become economically viable.

I actually agree with you for the most part. There is at this time no economic incentive to retheme Pop. All I am trying to get across is if things go down in a particular way there just might be.

20009551sc

It's finally gonna happen. It will be so nice to look across the lake from the POP and see something useful. We have stayed at the POP many times and wondered when they would finish the other side. Now we know and my family can't wait. My 19 yr old daughter has already put her bid in for the Lion King section. Thank You Disney!

Polyman

Geez, does no one on here have a Facebook account? Become a "friend" of Walt Disney World on Facebook and you will see one of the answers from a Disney spokesman to one of the comments is that the Pop Century will not be re-themed.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Geez, does no one on here have a Facebook account? Become a "friend" of Walt Disney World on Facebook and you will see one of the answers from a Disney spokesman to one of the comments is that the Pop Century will not be re-themed.

Probably because those are the same Disney spokespeople who said Lights of Winter was being replaced because the technology was "obsolete." :brick:

Aggie Mom

I'm really excited about this. We usually stay at the Pop (and love it). I never could bring myself to pay the extra money for a suite at ASMu. But I will pay the extra money for a suite at Animation in a heartbeat, if it means staying in the Cars-themed area, especially if the theming is really immersive, like pirates rooms at CBR.

Having 2 boys, I haven't particularly excited about the FL expansion (I know the argument about being knights or whatever--still not something my kids would get terribly excited over), so something like this is something that I can really get excited about. My boys are still too young for the PotC franchise, so the whole Cars aspect can really target families with young boys, before they are old enough for PotC.

slappy magoo

That's what they're saying, but I still predict there will be a change. Won't be announced right away. Probably a year after AoA opens, and AoA proves to be ridiculously popular and people start saying they wish they could sleep in a Peter Pan room, or a Sleeping Beauty room, they'll close Pop down one building at a time for "refurbishment." But the redos will include, where necessary, a change in theme. Heck, they may even opt, instead of making it about specific movies, to theme each building on characters - one for Mickey & Minnie, one for Donald (and Daisy), one for Goofy, one for Pluto, one for Chip & Dale. Or they'll redo each building to feature specific eras, like the black-and-white era, Disney Princesses, Disney Storybook tales, Disney on TV and one for Pixar. After all the building are refurbished, it will become part of the new AoA resort.

My prediction. Only my gut. We'll see.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
These are the same people that also told us that RC was "open seasonally" for more than 3 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom