Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Craig & Lisa

I have a number of thoughts as to why they are doing this. 1, they need to bring more visitors because the deals they are offering isn't enough,2, they still have to pay taxes on the property and the buildings that are there because even if there wasn't any buildings there they still have it zoned to be developed, 3, they can't turn any more rooms in the all stars into family suites

I did not have time to read all 12 pages - just page 1 and 12 - so I do not know if anyone asked this already. I love staying at Pop because it has the best bus service since it does not share with another resort. Will this new value resort be sharing Pop buses? I'm guessing it will. If so I would not like that at all.

I understand a lot of families love the family suites but our family prefers getting two adjoining rooms instead. So this announcement only makes me worried that when the new resort opens the great bus service at Pop may be no longer. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer! :lookaroun

NMBC1993

I'm so glad Disney is finally doing something with the other side of Pop Century! I was beginning to think nothing was going to happen to those old buildings. Can't for them to open, I stayed at Pop Century on opening day and I guess I'll have to do the same with the new Animation resort.

Gregoryp73

It would be because it ends up cheaper then getting the dvc and paying for it every year iF you were to compaire it to getting a family suite every year.

Being a DVC member, I do not see any way that these rooms could compete with the ones offered for DVC...apples and oranges. Plus there are services and advantages offered with DVC that you don't get with standard suites...The investment in DVC paid itself off in two trips for me...and I got 40 more years on my plan. So i'm a happy camper er...um vacationer. I would suggest it to anyone who goes to disney or cruises every few years.

RoRo

The blog already confirmed Pop isn't going anywhere (see comments).

I just noticed something, if you really really look in the picture that was released on the blog, in the back of the room there is an Ursula sculpture. I am guessing there will be a one building with the good guys of LM (King Triton) and the other building with the villians of LM (Ursula).

2bornot2be

Its about time, :sohappy: I was getting tired of Music. I have a family of 5 and Music seemed to have been the best value. I liked the FS at Music more than Port Orleans rooms that slept 5

kittybubbles

I'm glad to see this happen. I do not think they will be in any rush to change POP. I feel the generations bridge (maybe add the word gap to it and remove the 's') could still work as POP is sort of for Boomers while the new resort will be more for kids (bringing their families along).

Maybe I read something into this, but I thought they mentioned themed rooms...sort of like the Pirate rooms they have at a moderate (which enables them to charge more for a non 'preferred' room location.

My guess is they already know how popular the suits are at ASMU and these will cost a little more since they are themed...I also think the Mermaid rooms will be themed and cost more than a room at POP. If the rooms are themed, it would make a lot of sense as to why they did not just finish the legacy years as it would not add to a good theme for the rooms and therefore not increase ROI.

tecowdw

I'm glad to see this happen. I do not think they will be in any rush to change POP. I feel the generations bridge (maybe add the word gap to it and remove the 's') could still work as POP is sort of for Boomers while the new resort will be more for kids (bringing their families along).

Maybe I read something into this, but I thought they mentioned themed rooms...sort of like the Pirate rooms they have at a moderate (which enables them to charge more for a non 'preferred' room location.

My guess is they already know how popular the suits are at ASMU and these will cost a little more since they are themed...I also think the Mermaid rooms will be themed and cost more than a room at POP. If the rooms are themed, it would make a lot of sense as to why they did not just finish the legacy years as it would not add to a good theme for the rooms and therefore not increase ROI.

As someone else wrote, I agree that building the other half of POP showcasing the first half of the 20th century just wouldn't be that memorable to the younger generations that are vacationing to WDW now and in the future. It would be a bad ROI. Fact is, the existing POP themes will become more and more obsolete as people born beyond 2000 begin to make their own family visits to WDW. They won't have a clue about stuff from the 70's and 80's.
:eek:

NewfieFan

I did not have time to read all 12 pages - just page 1 and 12 - so I do not know if anyone asked this already. I love staying at Pop because it has the best bus service since it does not share with another resort. Will this new value resort be sharing Pop buses? I'm guessing it will. If so I would not like that at all.

I understand a lot of families love the family suites but our family prefers getting two adjoining rooms instead. So this announcement only makes me worried that when the new resort opens the great bus service at Pop may be no longer. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer! :lookaroun

Pop doesn't necessarily have the best bus service. I've stayed at ASMusic multiple times and for the most part it's always had a dedicated bus.

Nobody knows what will happen with the bussing! This is suppose to be a seperate resort... so more than likely it will have it's own bus service with possible sharing at off times... but who knows!?!

Coggy

Something doesn't seem to add up. The existing Pop Resort has 2880 single rooms. The press release for the Animation Resort says there will be 1120 suites and 864 themed rooms. Each suite equals 2 singles (1120 x 2 = 2240) plus 864 single rooms equals 3104. Are they building more than 10 buildings like Pop? It looks like the foundations were already laid for 10. How are they going to fit 224 more rooms?

Maybe the press release got the information backwards and meant 1120 single themed rooms and 864 suites. That would be equivalent to 2848 Pop rooms (1120 + 864 x 2).

Anyone else curious about this? Or did I misread the press release?

mickey2008.1

DVC for $20000 for 50 years or family suites at $1000/week for twenty years? Totaly different. One you pay up front, the other you pay as you go. Anywho, the new suites should be exciting, especially for ones with kids who do not want to pay for two moderate rooms or a deluxe. This is what i beklieve disney realizes and is capitalizing on its existing buillings.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
...The investment in DVC paid itself off in two trips for me...

I agree with everything else you wrote (these resorts will be apples and oranges compared to DVC), but this simply isn't possible. Financially, DVC is only a good "investment" if you use fuzzy math. Either you paid in cash and are failing to account for the time value of money, or financed and are failing to account for the cost of borrowing money, but in any case, DVC isn't a financial investment in the sense that it pays for itself.

Now don't get me wrong, we love DVC and plan on adding onto our contract, but if you're viewing it as an investment in anything other than future vacationing/happiness, you're doing something wrong.

Main Street USA

DVC for $20000 for 50 years or family suites at $1000/week for twenty years? Totaly different. One you pay up front, the other you pay as you go. Anywho, the new suites should be exciting, especially for ones with kids who do not want to pay for two moderate rooms or a deluxe. This is what i beklieve disney realizes and is capitalizing on its existing buillings.
Yeah, $20,000 PLUS your yearly dues for those 50 years. That's a LOT more than $20,000. Not to mention you'll be getting a studio at best if you buy in for only $20,000. You'll need more points for more space. It gets complicated, but people who think they've had the DVC "pay for itself" in a few years are way, way off.

Let's not hijack the thread, though.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this side of the lake completed.

mickey2008.1

As posted by WDWFigment: Now don't get me wrong, we love DVC and plan on adding onto our contract, but if you're viewing it as an investment in anything other than future vacationing/happiness, you're doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, its a guaranteed vacation for years to come, which we are going to do because it has limitless places to go besides WDW. Now to just pick a home.:hammer:

Main Street USA

I agree with everything else you wrote (these resorts will be apples and oranges compared to DVC), but this simply isn't possible. Financially, DVC is only a good "investment" if you use fuzzy math. Either you paid in cash and are failing to account for the time value of money, or financed and are failing to account for the cost of borrowing money, but in any case, DVC isn't a financial investment in the sense that it pays for itself.

Now don't get me wrong, we love DVC and plan on adding onto our contract, but if you're viewing it as an investment in anything other than future vacationing/happiness, you're doing something wrong.
Exactly. Thanks.

Rob562

OK, gonna try and quote multiple people and get all my thoughts/replies out in one posting:

Something doesn't seem to add up. The existing Pop Resort has 2880 single rooms. The press release for the Animation Resort says there will be 1120 suites and 864 themed rooms. Each suite equals 2 singles (1120 x 2 = 2240) plus 864 single rooms equals 3104. Are they building more than 10 buildings like Pop? It looks like the foundations were already laid for 10. How are they going to fit 224 more rooms?

Maybe the press release got the information backwards and meant 1120 single themed rooms and 864 suites. That would be equivalent to 2848 Pop rooms (1120 + 864 x 2).

Anyone else curious about this? Or did I misread the press release?

I'm thinking they got the number of suites wrong in the article.

Each building in the current Pop Century has 288 rooms (72 rooms per floor x 4 floors). Three buildings would equal 864 rooms, which is the exact number of regular hotel rooms they say there will be. (And because they've stated that all the regular rooms will be one entire theme, it means that it'll be one of the groupings of 3 buildings, kind of like how 50's and 80's/90's are now).

The remaining 7 buildings would normally have 2016 rooms, but you cut that in half to make the suites, and you get 1008 suites. So somewhere there's a miscalculation of 112 suites....

I wonder if they will give it a separate main entrance form the existing Pop Century one. It would be weird to have two different resort signs at the same entry. Even Port Orleans retained different entrances.

That side of the property already has its own entrance off of Victory Way, but it's easy to miss because none of the traffic lights and signage were ever installed for it.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.352035,-81.548885&spn=0.00558,0.00825&t=k&z=17

I understand a lot of families love the family suites but our family prefers getting two adjoining rooms instead. So this announcement only makes me worried that when the new resort opens the great bus service at Pop may be no longer. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer!

As NewfieFan said, it may share during non-peak times.
Each half of the Pop/Animation complex has about the same maximum Guest capacity as 1 1/2 All-Star resorts. So combined they're about what the All-Stars are as a whole.
What will most likely happen is that Studios and Animal Kingdom routes will share a bus full-time, just as the All-Stars do. Magic Kingdom and Epcot routes will run dedicated buses to each hotel during peak times in the morning and evening, and then combined buses during mid-day.

One thing that you can benefit from, though, is that if the line for one side gets obnormally long, you can hop on a bus to the other hotel and have an easy walk back to your room.

-Rob

maryszhi

this made my night. i would love the little mermaid one :) that is such a creative idea but it sounds alot like allstar movies, but with themes based on movies that are more modern and that they have restaurants. this is going to be interesting since all the allstars and pop only have dinning hall like food court. i cant wait to see they may end up revamping all the values with restaurants and adding one to port orleans fq i know alot of people wish there was atleast one restaurant at the hotel

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom