News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

Jrb1979

Maybe those particular restrictions weren't effective - like wiping down packages or food containers with Lysol. If so, it may not backfire at all.
It has nothing to do with wiping down anything. Its that now you are in close proximity to others for a longer period of time. For awhile I was impressed with Disney and their measures. Now they have been slowly dropping them. IMO its not a good look. I think more people will cancel now since they starting to take it less seriously.

I will say I am at the point I don't feel sorry for anyone or any business that suffers from this. They have warned us from the beginning this was likely to happen. With people being people and more businesses not caring it's just going to get worse. I'm going to continue to sit watch and watch the destruction of humanity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Sure, because a high backed chair has been scientifically proven to prevent the spread of Covid :banghead: 🤦

Really its no different than an airplane using every seat now, except you aren’t on the ride for hours, just minutes. Anyone who felt comfortable boarding a plane and flying to WDW but doesn‘t feel comfortable on a 5 minute ride with someone next to you or in the row behind you probably needs to rethink that position. Sitting in the row in front of someone with both people with masks on seems less risky to me than sitting at a table in an indoor restaurant with no masks.

JoeCamel

Sure, because a high backed chair has been scientifically proven to prevent the spread of Covid :banghead: 🤦

Really its no different than an airplane using every seat now, except you aren’t on the ride for hours, just minutes. Anyone who felt comfortable boarding a plane and flying to WDW but doesn‘t feel comfortable on a 5 minute ride with someone next to you or in the row behind you probably needs to rethink that position. Sitting in the row in front of someone with both people with masks on seems less risky to me than sitting at a table in an indoor restaurant with no masks.
Hopefully the passengers next to me are not screaming upon running backwards or at the sight of a stunning yeti either, if they are we are going down and I don't care if I get covid

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand the coasters more than flight of passage.

Just like the airlines filling all seats again, this seems like a $$$ move and not based on any new research. But obviously I can’t prove that.
It’s a capacity thing. They cannot increase park capacity without increasing ride capacity unless they want to see 3 hour waits for popular rides. Increasing ride capacity is certainly going to help. Increasing park capacity isn’t necessarily an issue right now. They rarely hit full capacity anyway and are heading into a dead period from post NYE Jan up until Spring Break in March. This is really a way to ramp up park capacity for the Spring into Summer. I think we knew this would happen and it looks like the plan is to kill distancing first, now on rides, later for queues and last restaurants, then expand group settings like large shows and fireworks. Masks will likely be the last to go since they don’t restrict capacity or sales.

Jrb1979

I am sick and tired of hearing " if you feel comfortable with the risks" junk. It may be less risky but it shouldn't be happening. The fact that so many are ok with it says a lot.

These last few months has made me realize humanity is self destructing day by day. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Jrb1979

It’s a capacity thing. They cannot increase park capacity without increasing ride capacity unless they want to see 3 hour waits for popular rides. Increasing ride capacity is certainly going to help. Increasing park capacity isn’t necessarily an issue right now. They rarely hit full capacity anyway and are heading into a dead period from post NYE Jan up until Spring Break in March. This is really a way to ramp up park capacity for the Spring into Summer. I think we knew this would happen and it looks like the plan is to kill distancing first, now on rides, later for queues and last restaurants, then expand groups settings like large shows and fireworks. Masks will like.y be the last to go since they don’t restrict capacity or sales.
Still doesn't make it right. The pandemic is far from over yet many people believe it is. Again another sign of humanity self-destructing. Its going to back fire on them in the end.

tcool123

Its going to fall apart on them. People will start canceling as they see the lack of social distancing going on
I’d hope so but given Universal consistently has reached its new capacity and still draws long waits even though they stopped social distancing months ago I just don’t see this being that big of an effect for disney

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am sick and tired of hearing " if you feel comfortable with the risks" junk. It may be less risky but it shouldn't be happening. The fact that so many are ok with it says a lot.

These last few months has made me realize humanity is self destructing day by day. I'm enjoying every minute of it.
Still doesn't make it right. The pandemic is far from over yet many people believe it is. Again another sign of humanity self-destructing. Its going to back fire on them in the end.
What worries me is that the many steps that Disney has taken so far have worked.

Does Disney really want to keep easing up on what has been successful until this whole thing falls apart?
I‘m not saying whether I think it’s right or a good idea, but just pointing out what’s happening. There will be an easing of Covid restrictions at some point and it will be gradual. I don’t think the middle of a massive nationwide spike in cases is a great time to start, but not my call. I do think Disney has been very careful to hold themselves up as a gold standard for safety and this does seem to be a hit on that to an extent, not because it can’t be done ever...more because of the poor timing.

Disstevefan1

Its only a matter of time before we hear more people getting Covid at Disney. They are playing with fire trying to increase their bottom line.
Letting more folks ride an attraction makes no extra money; they already paid to get in the park.

In my opinion, the FOP vehicles are well spaced and there is good ventilation when riding this attraction.

It seems to me the queues getting to the FOP vehicle are more risky, and being able to move people thru them faster is safer.

Just my opinion...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Its going to fall apart on them. People will start canceling as they see the lack of social distancing going on
It’s possible some will. Some have said they already didn’t feel comfortable today. So far it hasn’t impacted airlines too much. If people are willing to sit on a plane for hours with strangers in the row in front and behind I don’t see them worrying about a roller coaster.

Chi84

Premium Member
I have a friend who works Flight of Passage and they told me that you can request social distancing on that ride, and it doesnt hurt to ask the cast members at other rides either.

You’re still socially distanced in the line though
You can request social distancing - the first step in Disney shifting responsibility for a guest’s safety from the park to the guest. I believe more will follow rather quickly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Letting more folks ride an attraction makes no extra money; they already paid to get in the park.

In my opinion, the FOP vehicles are well spaced and there is good ventilation when riding this attraction.

It seems to me the queues getting to the FOP vehicle are more risky, and being able to move people thru them faster is safer.

Just my opinion...
Letting more people ride an attraction is a big deal for the bottom line. More ride capacity means more park capacity and most importantly more hotel rooms booked. It doesn’t matter for Jan when capacity isn’t an issue but when we hit Spring Break and later into early summer it’s going to be a huge deal as more resorts come back online.

I agree on the queues being more of an issue as you spend way more time in the queue than on the ride. I think ride distancing is relaxed first, then queues, then transport and restaurants last. All those things are relaxed while keeping masks in play.

tcool123

You can request social distancing - the first step in Disney shifting responsibility for a guest’s safety from the park to the guest. I believe more will follow rather quickly.
I’ve been doing it at a couple of restaurants on property where it didn’t feel safe.

Most recently The Wave over at Contemporary the six feet between was questionable at best as the other tables were only an arm reach away. Luckily they were very friendly and accommodating about it.

Jrb1979

I’d hope so but given Universal consistently has reached its new capacity and still draws long waits even though they stopped social distancing months ago I just don’t see this being that big of an effect for disney
I think in Universals case it's reaching capacity due to AP holders and since some are blocked out at Disney they go to Universal instead.

I do see it having an effect on both once the holiday season ends. They rely on resort guests and there is already lots of availability. I have feeling there will be even more soon. Now is not the time to drop measures.

tcool123

I think in Universals case it's reaching capacity due to AP holders and since some are blocked out at Disney they go to Universal instead.

I do see it having an effect on both once the holiday season ends. They rely on resort guests and there is already lots of availability. I have feeling there will be even more soon. Now is not the time to drop measures.
Me and my boyfriend think its the buy a day get 2020 Florida resident ticket that was a pseudo annual pass that has led to the crowds there. On unbusy days they have been known to skip rows on rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom