News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
MK's purported maximum capacity at its peak, like for Christmas, is 90K.

So, 25% of 90K is 22.5K.

However, MK's average daily attendance is 57.5K.

This means that by capping MK to 22.5K, it *feels* compared to *an average day* to be 40% full instead of 25% full.

When WDW re-opened after lockdown, it wasn't hitting the cap of 22.5K. People were afraid to go to WDW (and they should still be). But now there is a laissez-faire attitude toward a worldwide pandemic, MK is now hitting its COVID capacity fo 22.5K which feels like a lot more than 25% of an average day because it's actually 25% of Christmas.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I’ve been going to the parks weekly since opening week and yes there definitely is a difference, though I feel it’s still not over 25% of a normal/busy day. It looks busy, but it’s because everyone is spread out and lower capacity in almost every venue. What we saw in July was great while it lasted, but what we see now is probably the new normal. I don’t think we have anything to fear in regards to "and it’s not even the holidays yet", with capped attendance I don’t imagine anything being busier than what we see on Saturdays currently. Guests also need to show some responsibility too, if an area looks crowded then don’t join the crowd, wait for the next cavalcade or come back a bit later for your castle picture (I know this is a big ask lol)
I am assuming you are a solo guest or aren’t touring the parks with children or seniors? Because it is much easier to navigate current conditions by yourself or with a couple other adults.

What we noticed over the past two weekends (and during the week in between) was a larger number of extended-family groupings...meaning they take up a lot of space in queues, walkways, etc. Distancing from a larger group is difficult, because they always want to remain “together”. Not blaming or judging, just stating fact.

Your last statement made me smile because the majority of guests aren’t interested in anyone but themselves....at least that has been our experience (pre-pandemic as well.) Taking responsibility and having courtesy towards others is not a “big ask” but an “impossible ask”. 😉

Thank goodness the capacity is capped. Until more things open up to alleviate that “crowded feeling” (even if actual numbers are low) touring the parks doesn’t feel magical now. YMMV.

castlecake2.0

I am assuming you are a solo guest or aren’t touring the parks with children or seniors? Because it is much easier to navigate current conditions by yourself or with a couple other adults.

What we noticed over the past two weekends (and during the week in between) was a larger number of extended-family groupings...meaning they take up a lot of space in queues, walkways, etc. Distancing from a larger group is difficult, because they always want to remain “together”. Not blaming or judging, just stating fact.

Your last statement made me smile because the majority of guests aren’t interested in anyone but themselves....at least that has been our experience (pre-pandemic as well.) Taking responsibility and having courtesy towards others is not a “big ask” but an “impossible ask”. 😉

Thank goodness the capacity is capped. Until more things open up to alleviate that “crowded feeling” (even if actual numbers are low) touring the parks doesn’t feel magical now. YMMV.
Yes I’m usually solo, I’m furloughed from DCL at the moment so not much else to do while I wait to be called back to the ships lol. What I did notice the last couple weeks at MK as I mentioned a few pages back is that crowded feeling you mentioned. Liberty Square/Fantasyland transition being the worst. I feel like a easy/quick fix would be move momento Mori over to the empty shop at HoP, That’ll remove some crowding in that area, and opening Harbor House as a relaxation station, or even open it with a super streamlined menu, just to give people more places to spread out.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
MK's purported maximum capacity at its peak, like for Christmas, is 90K.

So, 25% of 90K is 22.5K.

However, MK's average daily attendance is 57.5K.

This means that by capping MK to 22.5K, it *feels* compared to *an average day* to be 40% full instead of 25% full.

When WDW re-opened after lockdown, it wasn't hitting the cap of 22.5K. People were afraid to go to WDW (and they should still be). But now there is a laissez-faire attitude toward a worldwide pandemic, MK is now hitting its COVID capacity fo 22.5K which feels like a lot more than 25% of an average day because it's actually 25% of Christmas.
5% if capacity is an after hours event. Wasn’t 20-25% a holiday party?

Interestingly one of the few things that are not socially distanced are the bathrooms. This seems to make for an objective look at crowds. Not that I’m recommending people loiter in them to study crowds, but I did notice that bathroom crowds were consistent with pre closure levels. Especially at Epcot and the MK.

Clamman73

5% if capacity is an after hours event. Wasn’t 20-25% a holiday party?

Interestingly one of the few things that are not socially distanced are the bathrooms. This seems to make for an objective look at crowds. Not that I’m recommending people loiter in them to study crowds, but I did notice that bathroom crowds were consistent with pre closure levels. Especially at Epcot and the MK.
Being there all last week, it wasn‘t that crowded in the bathrooms. I had the Imagination bathroom to myself one day and got to listen to Magic Journeys music...a highlight of my trip! :)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Bob Chapek confirms that Walt Disney World has increased capacity​

So, if MK's Max Capacity (like for Christmas) is 90K.

And the parks are now at 35%, then that's 31.5K COVID capacity.

However, if the average daily attendance has been 57.5K.

Then compared to an average day, it *feels* like the MK is now at 55% capacity.

JoeCamel

And does that make it worth $110 per day sans entertainment, parades and fireworks? In some eyes I guess they say yes. Enough to make money?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And does that make it worth $110 per day sans entertainment, parades and fireworks? In some eyes I guess they say yes. Enough to make money?
The parks' income is covering variable costs. So, not counting fixed costs, the parks' operations were profitable. That was Chapek's stated goal for determining if parks should open.

JoeCamel

The plot thickens.....

The parks' income is covering variable costs. So, not counting fixed costs, the parks' operations were profitable. That was Chapek's stated goal for determining if parks should open.

They increased capacity from 25% to 35%. Not a very meaningful increase financially. I think that‘s probably the biggest driver of not having fireworks. 35% capacity isn’t profitable. They aren’t losing as much money as being closed but not turning a profit either. It’s not just generic cost cutting, it’s survival mode right now. I was hoping for some more insight into future earnings but they were pretty conservative with giving that out.

Pretty sure Goof is not a numbers guy (sorry if you are) but this seems to be the line from several posters. At what point do they make money? I have to lump the resorts in with the parks to get to that number.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The plot thickens.....

Pretty sure Goof is not a numbers guy (sorry if you are) but this seems to be the line from several posters. At what point do they make money? I have to lump the resorts in with the parks to get to that number.
The parks segment had a $1.1B operating loss but that includes non-cash accounting expense like depreciation of fixed assets and the sunk costs of up keeping the parks whether they are open or closed. What Chapek said before any parks re-opened is that they would keep a park open only if it made a positive contribution to operating margin to do so. So basically if the parks either make money or lose less money being open than closed they are making a positive contribution. I don’t know where they have to be to actually make an accounting profit but it is likely well above 50% of normal capacity. That would be my guess anyway. Last year the operating income for the parks segment was $1.3B so they don’t need a return to 100% capacity to make a profit.

Keep in mind though they have completely closed cruise ships, DLR and now Paris closed, half of WDW resorts closed, parks at WDW at 35% capacity (and with that dining and merchandise way down). They have quite a ways to go between now and 100% back overall but WDW is actually probably not losing as much as some of the other stuff.

JoeCamel

Keep in mind though they have completely closed cruise ships, DLR and now Paris closed, half of WDW resorts closed, parks at WDW at 35% capacity (and with that dining and merchandise way down). They have quite a ways to go between now and 100% back overall but WDW is actually probably not losing as much as some of the other stuff.
That last is what I was wondering about. They don't break out DCL etc so with that earning $0 and adding cost how much of the 61% does that represent? Or am I understanding the numbers wrong?

revancho

It feels much worse than that with the reduced ride capacities, numerous closures and lines that quickly spill out into the walkways.

Was there 2 weeks ago with 2 other adults. Sunday was fairly busy at Hollywood Studios, but during the week, it was next to empty at MK and EPCOT with the only line of near an hour at "...Small World". Peter Pan was 12 and 15 minute wait. HOWEVER, people were generally NOT doing social distancing and it was a little frustrating to those of us who were trying to. They were ignoring the ground markings, especially the family groups. We're supposed to go in January with 4 grandkids and I'm hesitant due to the lack of social distancing. With increased capacity just announced, I question if it will be safe and more enjoyable, with so many attractions closed and people ignoring the protocols. So, LESS FUN, LESS SAFETY, MORE WAITING AND DVC is still raising its fees this year! Something is wrong here. The "Magic" just might be leaving. Shame. I've been coming here with my kids and grandkids since the first month it was opened. Does WDW love its guests as much as its guests love WDW? Doesn't look like it. My annual pass comes up for renewal in two months and, for the first time in many years, I need to think twice about it....sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom