Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

legwand77

Universal Orlando is now bringing back the fingerprint/biometric requirement to enter the parks, be interesting if Disney follows. Now that surface transmission is not as much of a concern as it has been.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That assumes investors (especially activist ones) don't push Disney to spin-off the parks division within 6 months.

Don't believe me? Comcast is being taken over by an activist as we speak.
Yeah, I wouldn’t worry too much about Comcast. It’s a non-event. Trian bought a 0.4% stake in Comcast. Brian Roberts owns 33% and is the CEO. Not a real good shot that an activist makes him do anything he doesn’t want to do. The obvious play would be to spin off NBCUniversal into a separate business from the Cable company with Universal theme parks, movie studio and various networks all sucking wind due to Covid, but Roberts has a long term plan with NBCUniversal so I doubt he gets forced to do anything. DIS has a similar market cap to Comcast so it would take several billion just to get to a 1% stake which hardly moves the needle. Same as Comcast, TWDC has a long term plan that involves synergies between movies, theme parks and TV/streaming service. It also makes no sense to sell the theme parks in the next 6 months when they are at their lowest value. Nobody is paying a premium for a business that’s crippled from Covid.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That’s from May. We’re better educated now.

Even back then it was very much a concern. Just not as bad as coming out the mouth. Your attempts to underplay the severity of the situation continues to fall flat.

Or did I just imagine 2000 hand sanitisers in DLP last week?

legwand77

That’s from May. We’re better educated now.

Even back then it was very much a concern. Just not as bad as coming out the mouth. Your attempts to underplay the severity of the situation continues to fall flat.

Or did I just imagine 2000 hand sanitisers in DLP last week?
Not "underplaying" or whatever you are accusing me of, just sharing that CDC and pretty much every other scientific source state that virus transmission from surface contact is an unlikely. That is a fact. Seriously these attacks on me are getting old.

Also Universal, no doubt is wiping the scanner after every use, as will Disney if they decide to resume the use of their scanners.

Slpy3270

Yeah, I wouldn’t worry too much about Comcast. It’s a non-event. Trian bought a 0.4% stake in Comcast. Brian Roberts owns 33% and is the CEO. Not a real good shot that an activist makes him do anything he doesn’t want to do. The obvious play would be to spin off NBCUniversal into a separate business from the Cable company with Universal theme parks, movie studio and various networks all sucking wind due to Covid, but Roberts has a long term plan with NBCUniversal so I doubt he gets forced to do anything. DIS has a similar market cap to Comcast so it would take several billion just to get to a 1% stake which hardly moves the needle. Same as Comcast, TWDC has a long term plan that involves synergies between movies, theme parks and TV/streaming service. It also makes no sense to sell the theme parks in the next 6 months when they are at their lowest value. Nobody is paying a premium for a business that’s crippled from Covid.

AT&T had a long term plan with DIRECTV and WarnerMedia but now investors and Elliott Management might force them to sell off one of them within a few months or so.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
AT&T had a long term plan with DIRECTV and WarnerMedia but now investors and Elliott Management might force them to sell off one of them within a few months or so.
It happens all the time. I’m not debating that. Just saying that it’s unlikely for TWDC and virtually impossible for Comcast. Just because it happens to some companies doesn‘t mean it automatically happens to all of them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not "underplaying" or whatever you are accusing me of, just sharing that CDC and pretty much every other scientific source state that virus transmission from surface contact is an unlikely. That is a fact. Seriously these attacks on me are getting old.

Also Universal, no doubt is wiping the scanner after every use, as will Disney if they decide to resume the use of their scanners.

Direct quote from a CDC spokesman: "COVID-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person. While it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads. People should continue to clean and disinfect dirty surfaces that could be harboring the virus.”

So surface contact is not the main way the virus spreads, but they never said it was not possible or even unlikely, just that it’s not the primary way it spreads. That’s why there are gazillions of hand sanitizer stations everywhere your look in stores, theme parks, hotels, restaurants, any public place.

I agree with your last sentence that they are likely planning to sanitize between uses as opposed to making this move because surface infection is not a concern anymore. I imagine the primary driver is economic. They sold those tickets that gave FL residents a free AP through Christmas. Without the finger print scanners they are probably getting passed around pretty regularly for multiple people to use. I could even see a secondary market springing up temporarily to purchase used tickets that have the AP option on them like when Disney first brought out multi-day passes that had days that never expired.

ImperfectPixie

Yes aware of the page and quote as I linked it. It is likely you get it from droplets , aerosol spread etc. therefore unlikely to get it from surface contamination but possible of course.

Not like I am making it up, from my second link "It is theoretically possible, but highly unlikely, says Dean Blumberg, MD, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children's Hospital. "You'd need a unique sequence of events,"

No need to discuss that, because that is not the point. The CDC link and others speak for themselves.
That you are more likely to become infected from droplets does not make it unlikely that you will contract the virus from a surface, so your "therefore" is completely untrue. Contracting the virus from a surface is highly dependent on a number of factors, not the least of which are how much active virus is present on the surface as well as how much enters your body.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney has now extended Disney Springs weekend closing times from 10pm to 11pm for the remainder of the year.
Makes sense. So far the vast majority of observations of Disney Springs I have seen are positive. They seem to have a solid system and enough staff on hand to make it work really well. The only major expense from this for Disney is another hour of labor for common areas and extra hour of buses for the resorts. It’s a low cost way to provide a little more to do, especially with the parks closed at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom