Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

JohnD

Park hours are dependent on demand...

Demand is determined by the health and economic situation.

Capacity is also determined by the health situation.

I get it...we are covid out at this point...but all roads do lead back to Rome in this situation.

There are zero operational questions that can be discussed without the elephant in the room.
Get comfy.

Well, it's pretty straightforward. If you want to discuss COVID cases, death rate, blah, blah, blah, there is another thread for that. What's left is that, yes, because of COVID, visitors are down. And if visitors are down using the park reservation system and no FP+, you can finish up a park one-two hours before the prior park closure hours. Therefore, under these extraordinary circumstances, why bleed operating costs and close later? Sure, I would like the parks to be open at night the same as the next person but that's not any time soon. I'll just be glad to be going back in October.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, it's pretty straightforward. If you want to discuss COVID cases, death rate, blah, blah, blah, there is another thread for that. What's left is that, yes, because of COVID, visitors are down. And if visitors are down using the park reservation system and no FP+, you can finish up a park one-two hours before the prior park closure hours. Therefore, under these extraordinary circumstances, why bleed operating costs and close later? Sure, I would like the parks to be open at night the same as the next person but that's not any time soon. I'll just be glad to be going back in October.
...you hope😎

A lot of ocean to get through till we get to that port as it stands

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s going to be open in October. I have no doubt about that. You are going to finally get that trip in.
Well that’s just one side of it though...October is a different part of the “germ calendar” and state restrictions could change drastically by then.

I’ll remind (sorry...covid talk) that we completely schmucked up the “good” time of the year these last 3 months/

...beyond that a what’s for lunch?? 🤪

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well that’s just one side of it though...October is a different part of the “germ calendar” and state restrictions could change drastically by then.

I’ll remind (sorry...covid talk) that we completely schmucked up the “good” time of the year these last 3 months/

...beyond that a what’s for lunch?? 🤪
I don’t have anything more than my own theory, but I think we are looking at a potential nationwide dip in Sept/Oct as the summer travel season winds down and people generally do less stuff. Kids are back to school (many virtual). I get the fear of a second wave and/or a resurgence when cold and flu season ramps up, but I think that’s later in the fall/winter.

If there’s a nationwide lull maybe some people will warm up to air travel and look to book a holiday trip to WDW. All the stars would have to align just right but it’s possible. There may not be discounts at WDW but there are good deals on flights and many people (me included) are sitting on flight credits anyway from cancelled trips.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t have anything more than my own theory, but I think we are looking at a potential nationwide dip in Sept/Oct as the summer travel season winds down and people generally do less stuff. Kids are back to school (many virtual). I get the fear of a second wave and/or a resurgence when cold and flu season ramps up, but I think that’s later in the fall/winter.

If there’s a nationwide lull maybe some people will warm up to air travel and look to book a holiday trip to WDW. All the stars would have to align just right but it’s possible. There may not be discounts at WDW but there are good deals on flights and many people (me included) are sitting on flight credits anyway from cancelled trips.
I think it’s just as likely that the opposite happens. As time goes on, loosening of restrictions or boredom at home could lead to more localized flares.

But you’re opinion is valid...no doubt

legwand77

IMHO is the October hours will be longer at the parks. The restrictions that the North eastern states have set will be lifted by then as well. There will be collegiate/NFL sports events happening in front of 10's of thousands of fans by then, that will help peple realize that travel is fine and encourage more trips. There are already multiple sports events happening in front of fans. Travel has steadily increased over the past few months and will continue as all indicators are dropping like ER CLI admission, hospitalizations etc. Florida Covid hospitalizations are close to 50% less than they were at the peak just over a month ago. Plus now the news of Florida and Covid is dropping off quite a bit

Last edited:

JohnD

IMHO is the October hours will be longer at the parks. The restrictions that the North eastern states have set will be lifted by then as well. There will be collegiate/NFL sports events happening in front of 10's of thousands of fans by then, that will help peple realize that travel is fine and encourage more trips. There are already multiple sports events happening in front of fans. Travel has steadily increased over the past few months and will continue as all indicators are dropping like ER CLI admission, hospitalizations etc.

We'll see. My trip is 60 days from tomorrow. As we know all reduced hours are the same beginning September 8.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it’s just as likely that the opposite happens. As time goes on, loosening of restrictions or boredom at home could lead to more localized flares.

But you’re opinion is valid...no doubt
It’s pretty clear to me that Memorial Day was the start of this summer spike. People decided they didn’t want to lose some of their normal summer activity and so they didn’t. The virus doesn’t follow a calendar or maybe someone forgot to tell it that it was a holiday weekend and it should take 3 days off. Either way a large number of people will begin to have less movement and interaction naturally as the summer unwinds with Labor Day weekend. Now if certain areas get too excited about a decline from an extreme peak and start ramping up activities that shouldn‘t be happening then yes, it’s possible the dip is short lived. I would hope we are smarter than that and would learn the lessons from the summer.

Parker in NYC

It’s pretty clear to me that Memorial Day was the start of this summer spike. People decided they didn’t want to lose some of their normal summer activity and so they didn’t. The virus doesn’t follow a calendar or maybe someone forgot to tell it that it was a holiday weekend and it should take 3 days off. Either way a large number of people will begin to have less movement and interaction naturally as the summer unwinds with Labor Day weekend. Now if certain areas get too excited about a decline from an extreme peak and start ramping up activities that shouldn‘t be happening then yes, it’s possible the dip is short lived. I would hope we are smarter than that and would learn the lessons from the summer.

I've decided that it's perfectly fine for me to jump onto the train tracks to retrieve a lost item. Sure, a train's coming but odds are I'll be safely back on the platform by then.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMHO is the October hours will be longer at the parks. The restrictions that the North eastern states have set will be lifted by then as well. There will be collegiate/NFL sports events happening in front of 10's of thousands of fans by then, that will help peple realize that travel is fine and encourage more trips. There are already multiple sports events happening in front of fans. Travel has steadily increased over the past few months and will continue as all indicators are dropping like ER CLI admission, hospitalizations etc. Florida Covid hospitalizations are close to 50% less than they were at the peak just over a month ago. Plus now the news of Florida and Covid is dropping off quite a bit

Fans in the stands for college football? That’s a complete train wreck. Same for the NFL. That’s the kind of stuff that blows up and makes it hard for a company like Disney who is trying to do things the right way. Not every activity is equal. Some stuff just won’t be possible.

Parker in NYC

Fans in the stands for college football? That’s a complete train wreck. Same for the NFL. That’s the kind of stuff that blows up and makes it hard for a company like Disney who is trying to do things the right way. Not every activity is equal. Some stuff just won’t be possible.

But, as you rightly stated, people will people. If it's time for sports, many will decide that they need to experience them live -- at any cost.

Jrb1979

While that's all great news it doesn't bring people back to work. Layoffs are starting in many places. Its going to be a long time before Disney gets back to normal.

Parker in NYC

While that's all great news it doesn't bring people back to work. Layoffs are starting in many places. Its going to be a long time before Disney gets back to normal.

I think many have to reevaluate what normal means. I know you agree with me on that, from earlier conversations, but it's going to be a long time before Disney gets anywhere near whatever the new definition of "normal" is before even rounding the bend of what we had before. This takes into consideration so many sectors that have suffered widespread unemployment. All of those building blocks that work to get people from point A to point B and the peace of mind that it's safe to even go back in the water. It doesn't matter what the media or the government says on that last bit, what's happened isn't going to be reversed just because someone says everything's fine. Or when/if there's a vaccine. I feel like many on here think Disney will bounce back - like it's an island unto itself. But it's an island... that depends on A LOT of external forces and services.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think many have to reevaluate what normal means. I know you agree with me on that, from earlier conversations, but it's going to be a long time before Disney gets anywhere near whatever the new definition of Earth "normal" is before even rounding the bend of what we had before. This takes into consideration so many sectors that have suffered widespread unemployment. All of those building blocks that work to get people from point A to point B and the peace of mind that it's safe to even go back in the water. It doesn't matter what the media or the government says on that last bit, what's happened isn't going to be reversed just because someone says everything's fine. Or when/if there's a vaccine. I feel like many on here think Disney will bounce back - like it's an island unto itself. But it's an island... that depends on A LOT of external forces and services.
I don’t think the conversation is even around a return to anything close to normal for WDW. We’re talking about IF things continue to improve by the time we hit the period from Thanksgiving to New Years, WDW May be able to increase the park hours from 8 or 9 hours a day back to 10 and maybe get the Boardwalk and Beach Club resorts open. Most of the stuff missing will still be missing but it may be possible to add back a few entertainment options if the demand is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom