Walt Disney World Park Attendance Numbers

MousDad

The only people I've seen excitedly posting on this board RE this offer are those who had existing ressies and are calling back to change them to the discount.

Haven't seen anyone yet say they were booking a new ressie because of it.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses regarding a "room night", I didn't know that was an industry term. Makes sense, though! :wave:

DisneyYorkian74

Disney's domestic theme park attendance numbers are down thanks to Disneyland.

According to Disney's 4th quarter report that just came out, both attendance and guest spending at WDW is up, but the same could not be said for Disneyland.

Thelazer

Good thing there is a far amount of Part-timers and others, who don't have to be given 40 hour weeks.

Makes it very easy to cut back on staff, yet not have to "Layoff" anyone.

However... many of those folks have been getting 40+ hours for years. So, while no one has been let go yet... it's already starting to hurt folks who up untill the last few months counted on those 40 hours

It's going to get worse once Jan comes.

About the only good thing that could happen, is they cut down on the College Program staff and interns. Then hand out those hours to current staff, even at the lower pay rate. At least, people would be able to get there 40 hours and some amount of money. Don't think it will happen, but it would be nice if the company would do that for those that are not getting 40 hours.

coasterphil

I don't see them cutting down on CP's when they've got all that housing to fill. Slowly but surely, Seasonal and Part Time CMs are going to be leaving. I know some areas haven't been able to give any hours to PT CMs since the new batch of CPs arrived and the FT folks are getting near their minimums.

pheneix

Disney's domestic theme park attendance numbers are down thanks to Disneyland.

According to Disney's 4th quarter report that just came out, both attendance and guest spending at WDW is up, but the same could not be said for Disneyland.

You heard it here first: Disney is cooking their books and lying to Wall Street about their business in Florida.

Somebody save this thread in their favorites folder and link back to it in a couple of years.

That is all!

RSoxNo1

Actually it makes some sense that California would be struggling more than Florida. Locals cut out California, and Vacationers are going to Florida instead.

bugsbunny

On an unrelated note, Southwest Airlines ticket prices continue to drop for late November and early December. We originally paid $216 per round trip ticket, and I have changed the reservations four times now (maintaining the same dates and times), making the tickets only $144 per round trip. I know that's not a direct indicator of Disney bookings for Christmas, but some of that drop (I would assume) is related.

Back in July or so, I booked my 1-way airfare from Philly to Orlando for my trip. At the time, the airlines were busy pooping their pants with gas being $4/gallon. Mind you , I wanted to go down in the afternoon and not on the 6AM flight. So I ended up paying $350 for 1 way tickets.

In August, I purchsed my return tickets which at the time, were about $300 total since I was coming back late in the day.

I started using yapta.com to track the flights. I'm "pleased" to announce that basically every airline has dropped its price to $49-$59 a seat! So insteda of paying $300 for a round trip for 3 people, I instead paid over $700 back when fuel prices seemed like they were never going to come down and airlines were cutting back on every exspense except mabye pressurizing the cabin.

If the airlines are cutting prices THAT much that quick, then I think it goes to show you that travel must be WAAAAAY down. Good for getting air fare, but won't be so good if this economy stikes you directly in the wallet and you cant book trips to WDW.

eddy21

I agree with what you say and we have no numbers to look at, I just think even with 50% of callers showing up, Disney could potentially make up that 10% drop in attendance.

They actually lose money on people like me--I was going on my honeymoon regardless and had already booked, so I just called them up and will now save $430, which is nice.

As for airfares, I know ticket sales are down, but there would also be a bit of outrage from the public if fares didn't drop since oil costs less than half of what it did in July. Still waiting for the checked bag fees to be dropped...I could be waiting a long time. Sigh.
The mouse never loses!:D

ali_cat_3

I saved a bundle on my car insurance, Thanks Gieco!!!

Not really, but I called my CAA agent this morning and saved and extra $750 on my vacation in May 09!!!!! A great big thank you to whomever posted the details of this Disney promotion
wave.gif
. Celebrating a grand gathering of 11 and will now have an extra $750 to spend in the gift shops, or go see La Nuba . Has anyone taken small children to see La Nuba?? ( ages 9, 6 and 3) and if so did they enjoy it????

Ali

fosse76

It's a little frustrating when people attempt to compare the current financial crisis with the events of Sept. 11, 2001. Like now, there was a downturn in travel. However, it had nothing to do with anyone's finacial situation. People were pretty much afraid to travel. It was a matter of convincing people to travel. The current crisis has to do with the availability of disposable income. Many people no longer have it. So while it was inevitable that the economy would rebound after Sept. 11, the current crisis is a bit different. While it most certainly will get better, the timeframe is unknown. So please stop comapring these two time periods. They are NOT the same.

Lucky

Of course the reason for lower demand in the tourism industry after 9/11 wasn't exactly the same as now. (Some people wouldn't have gotten on an airplane then even it it were free.)

But in speculating on how Disney might react to declining demand, it can be informative to look at how they've reacted to declining demand in the past.

CSUFSteve

I know personally of 3 different people for whom this deal is affecting:
1) Was going to go before summer anyway, but is now scrambling to make sure she/her family can take advantage of the deal
2) Had vague plans to go to WDW "late next year" but is now also scrambling to take advantage of the deal (husband and kids) and go earlier instead
3) One person I know has never been and is thinking of this as the perfect opportunity.

So I do think there is a lot of interest out there in this promo. The moving up the timeframe situation is interesting but like someone else said I think even 50%, even less, still helps overcome the 10%.

For me, the AP rate helped me as I planned a "last-minute" (that being 2 months ago) trip that happens to coincide with the Marathon and so was only able to get 2 nights at OKW. I booked the 3rd at Pop at the AP rate.

Interesting info about DVC as I had been wondering that too. I've heard that when GCH goes on sale they will up the price again and was wondering if that'd still be true if there was a lot of unsold DVC inventory. I bought in at $85/share at SSR when they had the $15-off referral special a couple years back, and was a bit shocked to see that specials are not as good as they once were!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
When it comes to the Disney Vacation Club, just remember that these are rooms on the property that will fill with quest even with the economy is bad (I have paid for the room so I might as well go). With Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa basically sold out; Disney has already made their investment back on all the resorts but Contemporary and Animal Kingdom. Basically they are building hotels and having others pay for them upfront. After fifty years they can have major renovations and have someone else pay for it by reselling the existing timeshares. DVC is a cash cow for Disney in good times and even more so in hard times.

CBOMB

I was thinking about this last night when people were discussing Disney already selling out of Pop Century for many dates, and was hoping someone would bring this up.

I think you're right to an extent, but also consider this:

1) While Disney may be getting slammed right now, it was just announced, so I imagine there will be a huge drop off in the coming days.

2) How many of those people booked once they found out the values were no longer available? In looking at some posts on Slick Deals, a lot of people did not book once they heard a price.

3) How many of these people will cancel their reservations once they realize their circumstances don't allow the trip.

4) What is the availability of the more expensive resorts. I'd hazard a guess that some people who would normally book a higher level of resort are scaling back.

Basically, I'm asking how many people who called last night will actually end up in WDW during the deal. My bet would be around 50% or less. Also, how many rooms, overall, are still available? I think deeper discounts are on the way. My guess is the reason they didn't announce a deal for June - November yet is because they're taking a wait-and-see approach. I would be surprised if the June - November (or whenever) deal beats this.

On an unrelated note, Southwest Airlines ticket prices continue to drop for late November and early December. We originally paid $216 per round trip ticket, and I have changed the reservations four times now (maintaining the same dates and times), making the tickets only $144 per round trip. I know that's not a direct indicator of Disney bookings for Christmas, but some of that drop (I would assume) is related.

"consumers may be taking "a wait and see approach" to booking vacations next year"

Translation: "HOLY CRAP we're screwed in 2009 unless the phones start ringing!!!!! Here, have 3 free nights. Oh, and here's and extra $200 also."

I can tell you that I work for a Fourtune 500 company in the Northeast and we hear these kind of slick, double ended, rah-rah pep talks Just before people start losing jobs. The ceo's an coo's feel like its there duty to put a positive spin on everything when Its clearly a bad time for most people. Im sure its down more than 1%. They would not be giving away free food and extra nights stays for a 1% difference. I guess they feel like the shareholders want good news in these times . I think its gonna be a hard 2009 for most companys Disney included. I would imagine most people would not pull out of their booked /paid vacations unless it was really drastic I for one could not tell my kids "Hey All the excitment and build up for the last 6 months was nice but we cant afford to go " It would kill me to do that. I think theres alot of people taking a wait and see approach to everything next year.
I think you all are very correct.

wvdisneyfamily

I'd like to know who the typical person is Disney is referring to that plans their vacation 10-12 weeks in advance. I don't know about any of you, but I generally need a bit more time than 2.5 months to plan and pay for a vacation.

That was the first thing I said when I read it. My husband said they were talking about the typical consumer, not us. But I know more people than just us and no one I know plans in just 10-12 weeks.

WDW1974

It's a little frustrating when people attempt to compare the current financial crisis with the events of Sept. 11, 2001. Like now, there was a downturn in travel. However, it had nothing to do with anyone's finacial situation. People were pretty much afraid to travel. It was a matter of convincing people to travel. The current crisis has to do with the availability of disposable income. Many people no longer have it. So while it was inevitable that the economy would rebound after Sept. 11, the current crisis is a bit different. While it most certainly will get better, the timeframe is unknown. So please stop comapring these two time periods. They are NOT the same.

Absolutely.

And this stands to be much more worse and far-reaching for Disney than 9/11 was. (People often forget that Disney attendance started to plummet in mid-2000 when the Millennium Celeb got tired and then there was the early '01 recession too).

Today the dollar went to $1.49 against the pound. That has huge ramifications for UKers, Disney's biggest foreign market. Those folks have been coming here in droves the past few years (making up as Americans have cut back) because it was such a deal to visit Orlando (even for 3-4 weeks at a time ... they do actually get vacations or 'holidays' over there unlike here where if you get two weeks, consider yourself lucky!)

Now ... those people are starting to stay home.

Mickey is one desperate mouse these days.

fuentesalex

Absolutely.

Today the dollar went to $1.49 against the pound. That has huge ramifications for UKers, Disney's biggest foreign market. Those folks have been coming here in droves the past few years (making up as Americans have cut back) because it was such a deal to visit Orlando (even for 3-4 weeks at a time ... they do actually get vacations or 'holidays' over there unlike here where if you get two weeks, consider yourself lucky!)

Now ... those people are starting to stay home.

Mickey is one desperate mouse these days.

I think you have it backwards. 1 UK pound = $1.49 US $.

So the folks in the UK still have a good deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom