Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Schema

So, those who will be racing what are you going for?

I was originally singed up for my first full marathon via the Dopey Challenge. However, I have zero interest in attempting a full marathon virtually. So, I'm probably going to just go for the 10K because I really like the Oswald medal. I'm not in love with the 5K or Half medals, so I think I'm going to skip those and save my money in case I like any of the medals from the Princess races once we see those.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was originally singed up for my first full marathon via the Dopey Challenge. However, I have zero interest in attempting a full marathon virtually. So, I'm probably going to just go for the 10K because I really like the Oswald medal. I'm not in love with the 5K or Half medals, so I think I'm going to skip those and save my money in case I like any of the medals from the Princess races once we see those.

If you go to the Princess thread, a photo has been posted.

Surferboy567

Yes, just select "register for another" or something like that once you put in all your info. Warning. Sometimes it doesn't work.

Do you just suggest I just wait in the queue for each individual race? Or try to add them all at once. As it stands that would be 3 queues.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Do you just suggest I just wait in the queue for each individual race? Or try to add them all at once. As it stands that would be 3 queues.

Do the queue for the race you really want. Like the 10k. Think it will be popular because if the medal.

Surferboy567

Do the queue for the race you really want. Like the 10k. Think it will be popular because if the medal.

Thanks I‘ll try the hardest for the Marathon and Princess 10K.

If I get though then I’ll try more.

One last question: Sorry about all of them, for the castaway challenge you don’t have to be booked on a cruise to do the virtual one right? The advisory still mentions “sailings”. Just want that medal, and to run that race.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks I‘ll try the hardest for the Marathon and Princess 10K.

If I get though then I’ll try more.

One last question: Sorry about all of them, for the castaway challenge you don’t have to be booked on a cruise to do the virtual one right? The advisory still mentions “sailings”. Just want that medal, and to run that race.

Frankly, I expect the January 11th cruise to be cancelled as I think DCL will suspend sailings into January.

Surferboy567

Frankly, I expect the January 11th cruise to be cancelled as I think DCL will suspend savings into January.

As someone who has no intention of cruising for a while...I hope I can just do this event without a DCL reservation as I don’t have one and don’t plan on getting one for a while. If I can’t I’ll probably just do a different race. The wording on the site is weird.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As someone who has no intention of cruising for a while...I hope I can just do this event without a DCL reservation as I don’t have one and don’t plan on getting one for a while. If I can’t I’ll probably just do a different race. The wording on the site is weird.

I looked at the registration...it didn't mention you HAD to be booked on the cruise.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Hello Runners,

It sucks that the weekend has been shifted to virtual however their is a sliver lining here. The event is now virtual with some cool bling at better prices! Here is my detailed breakdown and analysis. Not sure if you can sticky this for everyone to see but here you go.

Before we start Disney has two options for pricing: A ”Magic“ one, and a “More Magic” one they are both basically the same minus the shirt.

View attachment 499535

Virtual Walt Disney World 5K:

Magic Option (just medal)- 40

More Magic Option (medal and shirt)- 79

Virtual Walt Disney World 10K:

Magic Option- 49

More Magic- 99

Virtual Walt Disney World Half:

Magic Option- 59

More Magic Option- 118

Virtual Walt Disney World Marathon:

Magic Option- 65

More Magic Option- 120

Virtual Dopey-

Magic Option- 225

More Magic- 275

Virtual Goofy:

Magic Option- 129

More Magic Option-179

More Magic Goofy & Dopey-275

Castaway Challenge

Magic Option- 40

More Magic Option-75

All pictures comes from this Blog Post: https://www.rundisney.com/blog/virtual-wdw-marathon/
Prices come from the runDisney site.

PS: A royal themed version of this is available on the Princess thread.
I understand why a medal only option is less expensive than one with the shirt. But, why would there not be a single price for any distance race? I mean, the only reason to charge more for the longer distance is for the supplies, staffing, etc. of a longer distance. A finisher medal costs the same regardless of how far anyone actually ran...

Surferboy567

To do the Princess it costs: 155 (Challenge + 5K) no shirts. 4 Medals

To do Marathon it costs 305 (Dopey + Castaway) no shirts 7 medals

I would do Dopey...issue is I am not interested or ready for a marathon so that is off the table. Same with Goofy.

I still may end up going for Princess and then doing some marathon races have to run the numbers for the individual races.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I understand why a medal only option is less expensive than one with the shirt. But, why would there not be a single price for any distance race? I mean, the only reason to charge more for the longer distance is for the supplies, staffing, etc. of a longer distance. A finisher medal costs the same regardless of how far anyone actually ran...
The only thing I can think of is that the longer distances usually have more features as you go from 5k to 10k and onward through Dopey (more colors, spinners, danglers, other moving parts, flat vs more texture, and/or multiple types of materials used) that probably make them progressively a bit more expensive, but probably not quite as much more as the differences in prices might suggest.

GimpYancIent

The only thing I can think of is that the longer distances usually have more features as you go from 5k to 10k and onward through Dopey (more colors, spinners, danglers, other moving parts, flat vs more texture, and/or multiple types of materials used) that probably make them progressively a bit more expensive, but probably not quite as much more as the differences in prices might suggest.
The unique thing about the Dopey Challenge (other than being special because its completely contained within a Disney property) is the opportunity to run 5k, 10k, Half Marathon and cap it off with a Full Marathon all on consecutive days. An escalating ultramarathon over a 4 day period so to speak. I also found the start time invigorating. That's how I see it. The virtual options can be enjoyable, that is up to the individual runners participating, but in no way does virtual match up to the experience of doing the live event.

Figment82

I went with the Magic option. I’m stubborn and want to run the event still, but living in FL, I can only wear those long-sleeve tech shirts maybe 2 weeks out of the year? And I have a ton of gray ones already (thanks W&D!). If it was a short-sleeve, and a cute design, maybe I would have entertained the thought - but that’s a realllllly expensive shirt for a race I’ll be running in my neighborhood! 😂

Figment82

No doubt. That goes for all races really. I just miss the energy and atmosphere of an in person race.
Same here - as much as I don’t miss waiting 3 hours in a dark parking lot, using porta-potties, and swerving around hundreds of people, I really can’t wait until we can all enjoy the races in-person again. Running loops around my neighborhood is a far cry from the atmosphere of race day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom