Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

CFByrne

Consensus Disney Marathon Weather Forecast - Tuesday 1/8 Update
5 Days to Go to Full Marathon, 4 Days to Half

Looks like there's no way around this - it's going to be a bit warm, perhaps 8 to 10 degrees above normal. Looking at these temps, I am guessing there will likely be lots of cautions/info on hydrating at the Expo etc.

However, it does look not quite as hot as earlier forecasts. Relax and have fun!

Temps are shown as afternoon high/nighttime low. Nighttime low is usually a good indicator for 6AM-ish temps the FOLLOWING day.

Estimated Temps for Sat Half Marathon Based on Current Forecast (appx)
6AM: 60
10AM: 68
Noon: 76

Estimated Temps for Sun Full Marathon Based on Current Forecast (appx)
6AM: 60
10AM: 68
Noon: 76

Fri Jan 11
AccuWeather: Warm w partial sun 81 / 58
Weather Channel: Partly Cloudy 82 / 64
National Weather Service: Partly Sunny 81/63
Weather Underground: Mostly cloudy 81 / 59

Sat Jan 12
AccuWeather: Sunshine and nice 79 / 57
Weather Channel: Partly cloudy 81/ 62
National Weather Service: Mostly sunny 79 / 62
Weather Underground: Partly cloudy 81 / 63

Sun Jan 13
AccuWeather: Mostly sunny and delightful 79 / 57
Weather Channel: Partly cloudy 80 / 61
National Weather Service: Mostly sunny 80 / 60
Weather Underground: Partly cloudy 83 / 59

Mon Jan 14
AccuWeather: Increasing clouds 79 / 56
Weather Channel: Partly cloudy 81 / 61
National Weather Service: Mostly sunny 78
Weather Underground: Partly cloudy 84 / 63

Historical Averages for Kissimmee, FL for January 13
Average Low: 50
Average Mean: 61
Average High: 71

###
Charlie in Delray Beach, FL
Disney World Half 2001, Disney World Full 2002, 03, 04, 05, 09, 10

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The start temps look pretty ok. We wont' freeze our butts off like we have in years past. Last year we didn't ditch our top layers until almost mile 4. These are the temps I'm used to running in. It's when the temps start to creep into the mid-high 80's for the majority of the race when I have issues.

Hydrate people....your body will love you.

lukacseven

My wife and I are running in the Half for the first time, but we are a little unsure about the schedule the morning of the race. From what I've read, the race officially starts at 5:30AM, but you need to be in your corals by 5:00AM? We are in coral F so according to the final race instructions, we won't be moving until about 6:10AM. From 5:00a-6:10a seems like a long time to be standing around in the coral.

Also, does anyone have any advise on what time we should leave our resort?

Don't stress too much. I usually get the resort bus at 4:00-4:15. That gives us just enough time to make a bathroom stop, check gear and walk to the start. We usually are in corral B or C, which is a further walk and never had problems making it to the corral in time for the fireworks. Since it's your first time, you probably want to be early to take in the whole experience. Disney races are more than just races - they are an experience. Good luck!

Kristia

Consensus Disney Marathon Weather Forecast - Tuesday 1/8 Update
5 Days to Go to Full Marathon, 4 Days to Half

Looks like there's no way around this - it's going to be a bit warm, perhaps 8 to 10 degrees above normal. Looking at these temps, I am guessing there will likely be lots of cautions/info on hydrating at the Expo etc.
Thank you for posting these comprehensive weather reports!

SpectroPhoenix

Hey everyone!
Saturday will be my first time running the WDW half-marathon. It was mentioned briefly in this thread, but what exactly is the Cool Down party at DTD? I'm staying off-site and just trying to figure out if it's worth checking out.

Speaking of off-site, I know that traffic is supposed to be horrendous, but what would be a safe time to get to the Epcot exit off of I4 by? I'd rather get to the parking lot extra early and sleep in the car for an hour than sit in traffic worrying that I won't get to the race in time.

Thanks for the help everyone and good luck this weekend!

Texas84

Hey everyone!
Saturday will be my first time running the WDW half-marathon. It was mentioned briefly in this thread, but what exactly is the Cool Down party at DTD? I'm staying off-site and just trying to figure out if it's worth checking out.

Speaking of off-site, I know that traffic is supposed to be horrendous, but what would be a safe time to get to the Epcot exit off of I4 by? I'd rather get to the parking lot extra early and sleep in the car for an hour than sit in traffic worrying that I won't get to the race in time.

Thanks for the help everyone and good luck this weekend!
The party looks like just a bunch of discounts. We will be leaving our timeshare at 3AM. Plan to be in heavy traffic for at least 30 minutes after exiting I-4.

Good luck to you!

LindsayLoves

Hey all! I am off to the airport in a few minutes - it definitely doesn't feel like I am going to be there in just a few hours. For our flight we got bumped up to first class so I am not dreading the trip down anymore.

I am planning on making the meet up on marathon day at "W" reunion area. Hopefully I will be able to check back in with the boards but I might be having too much fun to break away :p

Safe travels to all and I will see you down there!

Ariel484

Hey all! I am off to the airport in a few minutes - it definitely doesn't feel like I am going to be there in just a few hours. For our flight we got bumped up to first class so I am not dreading the trip down anymore.

I am planning on making the meet up on marathon day at "W" reunion area. Hopefully I will be able to check back in with the boards but I might be having too much fun to break away :p

Safe travels to all and I will see you down there!
Safe travels! See you at "W"! ;)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I usually dont like to talk much before and event. I guess it is my game face mode. However, riding the bus to the ToT and 70+ year old man started small talking me. After a few minutes, I really enjoyed his company and learned a few things about this whole running thing. He couldnt run anymore, but he still walks Disney events and he said it would most likely be a "Right in front of the sweepers" kind of finish. I hope he did well.

I agree though. In my own silent kind of way, I enjoy all the people in the same place, searching for a common goal of doing something great.
Agreed Joel. Me: silent.

Post race: push ups as always :D

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Leaving for the airport in a few hours. We are putting my daughter in school for a 1/2 day today. Getting my hair cut nice and short so I can vent heat, and then off we go.

CFByrne

As the big day approaches, I am reminded of some of the best advice I ever got. Especially as a first or second timer.

You've done all the training. The toughest work is over - all those runs with little but exhaustion at the end.

This race is a fun time to celebrate the hard work you have put in, with thousands of friends and supporters cheering you on. Yes it's longer than others. Yes you may stuggle at times. But remember: enjoy - it will be the most wonderful time you can imagine.

Kristia

Well the time has come. All of you in the 5k and half, have a good race. I'll be at at the "W", 4am Sunday. See you then.

Leaving for the airport in a few hours. We are putting my daughter in school for a 1/2 day today. Getting my hair cut nice and short so I can vent heat, and then off we go.
Safe travels! We leave tomorrow! Hope to see everyone at the "W" on Sunday morning!

GoofyRacer11

CLE Thursday morning...you? My mom is flying out of CAK tomorrow. :)

My dad and I are flying out of Akron/canton
at 3:51pm tomorrow afternoon. We were looking
at flights from Hopkins but none of the flights worked for us cause he has to work a half day.
Then we fly back on Monday at 5pm.

Ariel484

My dad and I are flying out of Akron/canton
at 3:51pm tomorrow afternoon. We were looking
at flights from Hopkins but none of the flights worked for us cause he has to work a half day.
Then we fly back on Monday at 5pm.
Gotcha. I like flying out of Akron/Canton...so easy to manage that airport. Hopkins is only a 15 minute ride for us though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom