Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

I was able to use online check-in ok just now, but now I’m trying to print off my waver and it says it can’t find me. The waver was there when the link was posted. Has anyone else been watching for the runner tracking link? I’d like to get that done before I leave but it’s not up yet.
This is what I read on the other board...no one can find waivers. I haven't look for mine because I printed it out, but I guess the system is scrambling birthdays? And yeah, I have been watching for the runner tracking link too...if their computers are really so messed up who knows when it will get posted. :(

Mad Stitch

You know, attention to the details should go beyond the parks, but that has escaped the reservation and web site departments for years.

On a more positive note, a week from right now we will be running the marathon!

Kristia

I was able to use online check-in ok just now, but now I’m trying to print off my waver and it says it can’t find me. The waver was there when the link was posted. Has anyone else been watching for the runner tracking link? I’d like to get that done before I leave but it’s not up yet.
On the facebook Run Disney page, a lot of people are saying they can't be found when trying to download waivers. Apparently there has been a software glitch that messed up birthdays or something like that. They are working to fix it. There are rumors that runner tracking may be available tomorrow. I am hoping it is because there are a few family members that would like the info to sign up before I leave!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The site isn't working.....I tried yesterday as well. It seems like all the systems are crashing right when we need to use them. :(

Texas84

LOL, we are so opposite. Im not saying I would enjoy sitting around waiting for an event to start in 22 degree weather, but if were planning on doing the Goofy, Id want cooler temps to help recovery and hydration.

Regardless, good luck to everyone traveling down and running. If yall are having a MnG, take some pictures. :)
Bummed you're not going. I'm determined to make the M&G this time. :)

GoofyRacer11

My Goofy bib: 21045! I forgot that my dad and I got the race retreat package so we'll
be in there for a bit before race time, but I'll make sure I stop by a say hello to everyone!

CFByrne

Consensus Disney Marathon Weather Forecast - Sunday 1/6 Update
7 Days to Go to Full Marathon
Change from yesterday: Not much, holding fairly steady. Looks like there's no way around this - it's going to be unseasonable warm, perhaps 10 to 12 degrees above normal. The best we can hope for is winds from the N or W, that can mean at least the humidity is low. If we have winds from the S or E, that tends to mean higher humidity.
As we approach race day, these forecasts should converge and become more accurate. Until about 5 days out it is often a crapshoot, so don’t stress TOO much. Temps are shown as afternoon high/nighttime low. Nighttime low is usually a good indicator for 6AM-ish temps the FOLLOWING day. Unfortunately, right now we are shaping up to see very warm days. Especially folks from up north will want to start hydrating well in advance (days, not hours). But you also don't want to OVERhydrate during the run itself. Looking at these temps, I am guessing there will likely be lots of cautions/info on hydrating at the Expo etc.

Estimated Temps for Sat Half Marathon Based on Current Forecast (appx)
6AM: 60
10AM: 68
Noon: 79

Estimated Temps for Sun Full Marathon Based on Current Forecast (appx)
6AM: 60
10AM: 69
Noon: 79

Fri Jan 11
AccuWeather: Mixed clouds and sun 78 / 59
Weather Channel: Cloudy 80 / 62
National Weather Service: Partly Sunny 81/59
Weather Underground: Partly cloudy 77 / 63

Sat Jan 12
AccuWeather: Partly sunny 78 / 58
Weather Channel: Partly cloudy 81/ 60
National Weather Service: Mostly sunny 79 / NA
Weather Underground: Clear 81 / 63

Sun Jan 13
AccuWeather: Sun and clouds 81 / 54
Weather Channel: Partly cloudy 80 / 59
National Weather Service: Not Avail Yet
Weather Underground: Mostly cloudy 84 / 64

Mon Jan 14
AccuWeather: Mostly sunny 77 / 52
Weather Channel: Partly cloudy 79 / 59
National Weather Service: Not Avail Yet
Weather Underground: Mostly cloudy 84 / 64

Historical Averages for Kissimmee, FL for January 13
Average Low: 50
Average Mean: 61
Average High: 71

Charlie in Delray Beach, FL
Disney World Half 2001, Disney World Full 2002, 03, 04, 05, 09, 10

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the waivers too much...you can print them there. The first race I ran at Disney I was totally prepared, and then forgot the waiver in my hotel room.

Ariel484

I have heard that it should be back up today. Worst case scenario you will be able to print them at the expo.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the waivers too much...you can print them there. The first race I ran at Disney I was totally prepared, and then forgot the waiver in my hotel room.
Yeah, but that's going to be a problem for people picking up bibs for other people.

I'm supposed to pick up my brother's bib and he SAID he was mailing his stuff to me last week...we'll see if it shows up. o_O

jpm46

My wife and I are running in the Half for the first time, but we are a little unsure about the schedule the morning of the race. From what I've read, the race officially starts at 5:30AM, but you need to be in your corals by 5:00AM? We are in coral F so according to the final race instructions, we won't be moving until about 6:10AM. From 5:00a-6:10a seems like a long time to be standing around in the coral.

Also, does anyone have any advise on what time we should leave our resort?

Ariel484

My wife and I are running in the Half for the first time, but we are a little unsure about the schedule the morning of the race. From what I've read, the race officially starts at 5:30AM, but you need to be in your corals by 5:00AM? We are in coral F so according to the final race instructions, we won't be moving until about 6:10AM. From 5:00a-6:10a seems like a long time to be standing around in the coral.

What resort are you staying at?

Yep, you read that right...they require runners to be in the corrals by 5, and yes, it is a long time to stand around. :) I do think that part of the reason they set the 5AM cut-off is to make sure EVERYONE is there for the race start (it's, what, ~25,000 runners in the half alone? Probably more).

Assuming you're staying on property and are taking a bus/monorail, the big issue here is that transportation runs only from 3-4AM. That alone ensures that you need to leave your resort early. For me personally, I like to be on a bus by 3:30AM just to be safe. I have heard horror stories in the past of buses getting lost or stuck in traffic, so I want that extra cushion. Between making bathrooms stops, eating breakfast (I bring mine with me to the corrals) and talking with other runners the time goes quickly. And it will be warm this year, so we won't be freezing during that wait.

Congrats on your first half! You guys will love it. :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

The first thing that you need to understand is that this is a Disney race, and you are going to be doing a lot of standing around. Traffic on those mornings is an absolute nightmare, so I'd suggest getting on the earliest bus possible....it gives you the least amount of hassle. You'll go to the family reunion area where a DJ will be entertaning. There have also been food trucks there if you didn't grab something to eat.

If you are checking a bag, you will also do it in this area, and use the port-a-john, which can be a 20+ minute wait.

Once they call for runners to go to the corrals, there is about a 1/4-1/2 mile walk from the reunion area to the actual start corrals. There is no away to avoid this walk. The crowd all moves together as a big herd.

When you are in your corral, there is plenty of start line entertainment, so time goes quickly.

We have always been on the first bus at 3:00 am. We've seen too many people sprinting to their corrals just as the race is about to push off because the buses got caught in traffic.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Congrats on your first half! You guys will love it. :)

This. Congrats in advance for having the courage to do your first half. 2 years ago, I did my first half at this race. Now I'm 10 half marathons in and I wanted my first full to be at WDW.

My favorite part of the weekend is the fact our whole community is together, and we support each other. I remember riding a bus after packet pickup and having a veteran runner calm my nerves. He gave me the best advice I could have received. This is your first race - you'll never forget it - so enjoy it. Remember what it feels like crossing the finish line for the first time.

I did, and I have been addicted since.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The first thing that you need to understand is that this is a Disney race, and you are going to be doing a lot of standing around. Traffic on those mornings is an absolute nightmare, so I'd suggest getting on the earliest bus possible....it gives you the least amount of hassle. You'll go to the family reunion area where a DJ will be entertaning. There have also been food trucks there if you didn't grab something to eat.

If you are checking a bag, you will also do it in this area, and use the port-a-john, which can be a 20+ minute wait.

Once they call for runners to go to the corrals, there is about a 1/4-1/2 mile walk from the reunion area to the actual start corrals. There is no away to avoid this walk. The crowd all moves together as a big herd.

When you are in your corral, there is plenty of start line entertainment, so time goes quickly.

We have always been on the first bus at 3:00 am. We've seen too many people sprinting to their corrals just as the race is about to push off because the buses got caught in traffic.
I think the thing I learned to do after my first Disney event and Rock N Roll event, is if the schedule calls for a 8 mile run, do 8.5 or 9. This will prepare you for the obscene amount of extra walking and standing that you will do. Most of us walk right out of our front door and go run the distance.... but on race day, it would be like going out your front door, walking around the block a few times, standing there staring at the back of someone head for an hour, then heading off for your run. I recall not being mentally ready for that wait and downtime of anxiety filled standing around doing nothingness. :D I was exhausted by the time the fireworks went off.

It is all a part of it...

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This. Congrats in advance for having the courage to do your first half. 2 years ago, I did my first half at this race. Now I'm 10 half marathons in and I wanted my first full to be at WDW.

My favorite part of the weekend is the fact our whole community is together, and we support each other. I remember riding a bus after packet pickup and having a veteran runner calm my nerves. He gave me the best advice I could have received. This is your first race - you'll never forget it - so enjoy it. Remember what it feels like crossing the finish line for the first time.

I did, and I have been addicted since.
I usually dont like to talk much before and event. I guess it is my game face mode. However, riding the bus to the ToT and 70+ year old man started small talking me. After a few minutes, I really enjoyed his company and learned a few things about this whole running thing. He couldnt run anymore, but he still walks Disney events and he said it would most likely be a "Right in front of the sweepers" kind of finish. I hope he did well.

I agree though. In my own silent kind of way, I enjoy all the people in the same place, searching for a common goal of doing something great.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I usually dont like to talk much before and event. I guess it is my game face mode. However, riding the bus to the ToT and 70+ year old man started small talking me. After a few minutes, I really enjoyed his company and learned a few things about this whole running thing. He couldnt run anymore, but he still walks Disney events and he said it would most likely be a "Right in front of the sweepers" kind of finish. I hope he did well.

I agree though. In my own silent kind of way, I enjoy all the people in the same place, searching for a common goal of doing something great.

I'll talk to anyone in the days before or after a race. Once I'm in the corral, I do the same thing. I have to get into the right mind set....visualize my goals.

This year, I have a music mix that I'm going to listen to that'll keep me focused in the time leading up to the start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom