Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

I remember if you start to lineup early enough, the left fork in the road is still open for poeple in the forward corrals. I think at 5:00 am, they close that portion and you have to go to the right and essentially start in the very back of the pack and try to work your way forward.

Texas84

Hey, if you're US Military, don't forget the 2012 park pass discount. 4 days for $138. Go to Shades of Green to avoid the tax. Hopefully I can walk after the marathon and use it. :D

Mad Stitch

What are the crowds at the parks like on marathon weekend? With the crazy wait times that have been posted the last two days will these crowds continue into next weekend?

dreamfinder

What are the crowds at the parks like on marathon weekend? With the crazy wait times that have been posted the last two days will these crowds continue into next weekend?

They shouldn't. Most people have to go back to work after NYE. Due to the Sun/Sun for the holidays, lots of kids only had last week off, instead of being a bit spread out over a few weeks, so it was a bit busier than normal.

The last few marathon trips we have done have been pretty reasonable crowds. Outside of TSM and Soarin I can't recall any outrageous lines.

lukacseven

Was on Bing Maps and zoomed in on the area to the east of Spaceship Earth and noticed the choir in the backstage area. It appears the "Bird's Eye" images were taken during one of the races - there are still people (appear to be walkers) on the course and there are spectators along the finish line area. If you play around with he views, you can see the staging area, as well.

lukacseven

They shouldn't. Most people have to go back to work after NYE. Due to the Sun/Sun for the holidays, lots of kids only had last week off, instead of being a bit spread out over a few weeks, so it was a bit busier than normal.

The last few marathon trips we have done have been pretty reasonable crowds. Outside of TSM and Soarin I can't recall any outrageous lines.

The same attractions that are usuall crowded had longer lines: Space Mt., Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, TSM. Waits weren't more than 20 minutes for stuff like Everest, Test Track. Some attractions like Pirates, you can basically walk right on.

MCC1

Usually reasonable, not too bad..just get on the phone & make those dinner ressies now if you're planning on eating out...

thrashy

Anyone know how early I should get to the start of the half marathon if I'm shooting for a 1:20? I've been a bit lazy about keeping up with the notices. I booked PO French Resort, so hopefully I can sleep at least a few hours before the start.

I'm Bib# 30135 btw. :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I wasn't a member at that site, but did check it often for various tibits of advice. It's always sad to see a member of the Disney Running community leave us.

MCC1

We met some people from there back in 2009, but since moved on to runningoftheears.com & browsing here...never met owners in person, but a sad tragedy non the less...

dreamfinder

Anyone know how early I should get to the start of the half marathon if I'm shooting for a 1:20? I've been a bit lazy about keeping up with the notices. I booked PO French Resort, so hopefully I can sleep at least a few hours before the start.

It will all be in the information you get when you pick up your bib. Your estimated finish time doesn't really matter, its all about the corral they place you in. Assumed you provided proof of time it shouldn't matter, but if you didn't you could get placed in the way back.

MKCP 1985

that's awful news about the disneyrunning.com couple, the Mathis family.

Race week is here! All your hard work is about to pay off with a shiny gold Mickey or Donald medal, or both plus Goofy!

Good luck! :wave:

lukacseven

Last bus from all resorts to start line is at 4:00 am ( I think they begin at 3:00). If you take that bus, by the time you do bag check, wait for a porto-potty and walk to your corral it should be close to the start of the race. If you used 1:20 as your estimated finish time, you should be in one of the first 2 corrals. Give yourself some extra time to get in the correct corral (you'll have to walk additional distance to the front). If you get stuck in the back there are alot of walkers and the course narrows near the 2 mile marker and will slow you down.

GoofyRacer11

I'm heading down to Disney tomorrow. My plane leaves about
2:30pm so we should be at the hotel around 6pm. Just in case
anyone wants to meet me, I am staying at Pop Century and my
Bib number is 21313. I will be running with the 3:55 marathon pace
group at the start.

thrashy

Thanks for the info! I provided proof of my time and my bib lines up with one of the first in Corral A / Wave 1 based on previous year's corral charts, just missed the elite corral (bummer). I'll probably be taking the 3:20am or 3:40am bus. The weather looks good (thankfully) since I'm taking a Friday morning flight and Friday will be my only day to pickup my bib.

Good luck to everyone running!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom