Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Rteetz

When I look back to prior maps it looks like the 10 used to go through WS. I'm truly not sure why they changed this but the half doesn't seem to have gone through there before. This is all new to me and I'm actually kind of excited to see the 5k goes through WS. That sounds like a major cluster* for character meets though.
Yes this is a brand new 10K course for MW.

pdude81

Two questions for my future race (2023) planning:

1. Does the monorail from TTC run to Epcot for the 5k and 10k also on marathon weekend? I'm staying at the Polynesian and really liked just walking to TTC for the marathon in past years.

2. Has anyone stayed at Riviera before for any race weekends and taken the bus to Epcot? I'm looking at possibly staying there next year and curious whether they really pack people in on the early race buses.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Two questions for my future race (2023) planning:

1. Does the monorail from TTC run to Epcot for the 5k and 10k also on marathon weekend? I'm staying at the Polynesian and really liked just walking to TTC for the marathon in past years.

2. Has anyone stayed at Riviera before for any race weekends and taken the bus to Epcot? I'm looking at possibly staying there next year and curious whether they really pack people in on the early race buses.

As far as I know, the monorail is only operated for the Half and Full for those races starting at the MK parking lot. It was not, however, for the W&D Half.

Are you referring to the chartered transport buses? They do fill every seat, but no one is standing. There's a volunteer at every bus stop - both resort and race finish area - counting the number of runners getting on the bus.

pdude81

As far as I know, the monorail is only operated for the Half and Full for those races starting at the MK parking lot. It was not, however, for the W&D Half.

Are you referring to the chartered transport buses? They do fill every seat, but no one is standing. There's a volunteer at every bus stop - both resort and race finish area - counting the number of runners getting on the bus.
Ok, thanks. I thought I remembered it being just the half and full for monorails but I wasn't sure.

And I was referring to the transport buses. I haven't used them before but I'll at least get a sense of how it works from Poly for the first two races. I tend to go on the early side so I was wondering if they'd leave us sitting there until the bus fills up or if they just dispatch on a regular schedule. I'm curious to see if they pack the buses for these races now as they are just returning to runDisney events.

Texas84

Ok, thanks. I thought I remembered it being just the half and full for monorails but I wasn't sure.

And I was referring to the transport buses. I haven't used them before but I'll at least get a sense of how it works from Poly for the first two races. I tend to go on the early side so I was wondering if they'd leave us sitting there until the bus fills up or if they just dispatch on a regular schedule. I'm curious to see if they pack the buses for these races now as they are just returning to runDisney events.
They pack them in the mornings. Not on the way back.

LAKid53

Premium Member

They typically have more than one bus first thing on race mornings. I think we had 3 waiting at Ft. Wilderness for the morning of the W&D Half. Buses start running at 3:00 AM for the 5K and 10K and 2:30 for the Half and Full. They want all runners on the buses within 30 minutes after they start running.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
They want all runners on the buses within 30 minutes after they start running.

Ok, the Marathon will be my second runDisney race. We were convinced to catch the bus extra early the morning of the race, probably earlier than necessary. Did you mean they want everyone on the bus to the race 30 minutes before the race starts?

I suppose my real question here is: what time does the last bus leave from the hotel to the starting corrals? I would prefer to limit any unnecessary standing around.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ok, the Marathon will be my second runDisney race. We were convinced to catch the bus extra early the morning of the race, probably earlier than necessary. Did you mean they want everyone on the bus to the race 30 minutes before the race starts?

I suppose my real question here is: what time does the last bus leave from the hotel to the starting corrals? I would prefer to limit any unnecessary standing around.

No, 30 minutes AFTER the buses to the staging area start running. So if buses start running at 3:00 AM, they want you on them by 3:30 AM. This allows for time to drive to the staging area, stop and unload passengers and go back for more runners, if needed. There is a volunteer at the race bus pickup point who can request another bus if needed. There's a long line of buses at staging area drop-off and traffic can get backed up to the staging area at Epcot, both from buses and cars.

Buses will leave as soon as they are full. And there will be more than one bus lined up at the resort pickup point. I would try to get to your resort race bus spot at the time buses start running. For many resorts, the chartered buses for race weekend use the pickup point for the Magical Express bus. There will be signs at your resort pointing to the location. The digital guide has the bus running times for the Expo, race morning and return after the race in the transportation section. Make sure you read it. Buses will have a numbered and colored sign on the windshield that shows the resorts it serves. Buses that may serve multiple resorts for the Expo may only serve one of the resorts the morning of the race.

Marathon weekend is the biggest of the 4 race weekends. Expect lines at the buses stations the first morning of the Expo and race mornings.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Waiting on confirmation from my leadership team (before I can share) but there WILL be a change to how runners get into the staging areas RE:security - I'm confident it's for the better.

They won't squish the banana in my gear bag anymore? 😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom