Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

AUPr8Hd

Okay, so the ad in Runner's World mentioned that you can go to runDisney.com to sign up for a reminder to register for Marathon Weekend. The link is up, so I clicked on it to sign myself up and a page popped up with a picture of Mickey (holding a medal), Donald and Goofy. No Chip & Dale. I could be reading too much into this, but I think it supports what you're saying that the relay won't be back in 2013. :shrug:

No reason not to read too much into it. runDisney and Disney Sports have confirmed on twitter that the relays for Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend will not be returning.

AUPr8Hd

Wow! :eek: I knew the half was crowded, but 22k?! That's crazy. It definitely drives home the point that if you're taking Disney transportation to the race you need to line up for your bus EARLY.

Those are the finisher numbers. I would imagine there's about 10-15% of the runners that are "swept" or drop due to injury

Mad Stitch

I thought the relay should have been split into 3 or 4 legs. If you wanted to run 13 miles you could have done the half. By having a relay split 7, 10, 9; 5, 8, 6, 7; or whatever it creates more options over the course of the weekend for people of varying skill levels to become involved.

Ariel484

I thought the relay should have been split into 3 or 4 legs. If you wanted to run 13 miles you could have done the half. By having a relay split 7, 10, 9; 5, 8, 6, 7; or whatever it creates more options over the course of the weekend for people of varying skill levels to become involved.

I did a marathon relay like this in 2009. There were 5 legs...I think they were 3.1 miles, 5.2 miles, 6.3 miles, 2.9 miles and 8.7 or something. I dunno, whatever that is to add to 26.2. :lol: I thought the same thing you did when Disney announced their relay, that they'd missed an opportunity to offer different distances to people...but someone else pointed out that it would probably be a logistical mess. They'd have to have way more volunteers to run the transition areas and a way to bus the runners out to and from the various relay exchange points. That might be a difficult thing to do on Disney property. :shrug: I think most people also thought that this was a way for them to attract more people that wanted to do the half marathon distance but maybe got shut out of the WDW Half (which wasn't an issue since registration didn't fill up as fast this year).

They must be trying to bridge the 5k - half marathon gap they created with the 10-miler, which I think is a good start, but it would be nice if they offered a 10K as well. Maybe a 10-miler/10K weekend. 3.1 miles to 10 miles is still a big jump. :shrug:

lukacseven

Oops...good point!

I wonder why they wouldn't bring the relay back? Did they give you a reason? Maybe it wasn't as popular as they expected? :shrug: It seemed like it went fairly smoothly on race day (this coming from someone who ran the full, not the relay, so I could be wrong).

I did the relay - my first time doing a relay event and I thought it was very well organized. I had no trouble getting to the exchange zone, which was actually fun waiting for runner #1. The only complaint I would have is that they should have allowed runner #1 back into the secure area to greet runner #2 at the finish line. Otherwise, I'd recommend the relay.

I did see on the ESPWWOS site confirmed April 10 registration at 12:00 pm EST (I think they meant EDT). I am waiting for an email for a discount for running the previous year. I think it was $20 off 2012 registration if you ran in '11.

Ariel484

I did the relay - my first time doing a relay event and I thought it was very well organized. I had no trouble getting to the exchange zone, which was actually fun waiting for runner #1. The only complaint I would have is that they should have allowed runner #1 back into the secure area to greet runner #2 at the finish line. Otherwise, I'd recommend the relay.

I did see on the ESPWWOS site confirmed April 10 registration at 12:00 pm EST (I think they meant EDT). I am waiting for an email for a discount for running the previous year. I think it was $20 off 2012 registration if you ran in '11.

I think I remember you posting about runner #1 not being allowed in the finish area...I'm sure they wanted to avoid what they thought would be a logistical mess, but surely they could've figured something out. :shrug: I thought that was a a really strange decision on their part.

And YES on the email discount. I think I ended up using the Disney Visa discount last year, but should've used the Princess Half discount (would've saved me another whopping $5! :mad: :lol:). I really hope one of them comes through again this year.

frank2271

Discounts? This is the first I've heard this. I have a Disney Visa, I've ran all the races and I have an annual pass. If there's a discount, please let me know. My wife, my son and I are all doing the race this year. My wallet is crying already. :cry:

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Ariel484

Discounts? This is the first I've heard this. I have a Disney Visa, I've ran all the races and I have an annual pass. If there's a discount, please let me know. My wife, my son and I are all doing the race this year. My wallet is crying already. :cry:

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Okay, digging back through my email, this is what I found from last year:

Princess Half Marathon Discount Code:

I ran the 2011 Princess Half. About 1.5 weeks later (March 9) I got a congratulations email from runDisney with my results webpage and a discount code for Marathon Weekend 2012. It was for $20 off for the marathon or the Goofy challenge only. I did get the congratulations email for running the 2012 full, but it didn't have a discount code.

I think anyone that had run a Disney race the year before got an email like this, but I'm not sure if the codes were different (i.e. different amounts, a discount for the WDW half).

Disney Visa discount:

I got this email on March 15, the day that registration opened for Marathon Weekend 2012. The discounts available from this one were:

$35 off the marathon entry fee
$35 off the half marathon entry fee
$70 off the Goofy challenge entry fee

But reading the fine print on the email...

Savings is based upon the combination of the early registration discount on the race entry fees for the Half Marathon, Marathon, or Goofy Challenge available to all race entrants by the applicable deadline combined with an additional $15 credit for each of the Half Marathon or Full Marathon and $30 credit for the Goofy Challenge for Disney Rewards cardmembers.

I also remember that Disney Visa cardholders could register the day before registration officially opened, which is what I did because I was so freaking excited. I grabbed the link from somewhere else (other people had gotten the Disney Visa link before I did and were sharing it) and registered for the full on the 14th, then realized that the Princess Half discount was a little better.

So the Disney Visa discount was the way to go for registering for Goofy or the half, and the Princess Half discount was $5 better for registering for the full. No discounts on the relay or the kids' races. I think there was also a discount for DVC members, but I'm not sure as I'm not DVC. :cry: Registration opens April 10 this year so I'm guessing, based on last year, that people will start getting emails sometime the week before. I hope so, anyway.

frank2271

What a great response, thank you so much. My wife and son are doing the Half and I'm doing the Goofy so I hope to get the email this year. Please post the news if you get it so I can look into it too.

Thanks again,

Frank

frank2271

Just looked it up, here's a list of what the runners receive:

Race participants in Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge will receive:

-Champion® Unisex Long-Sleeved Tech Shirts for the Marathon, Half Marathon and Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge*
-Special Goofy finisher medal, along with the Commemorative 20th Anniversary Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck finisher medals for completing the Marathon and Half Marathon*
-Official Race Program Guide*
-iGiftBag
-Personalized bib (Must register by November 1, 2012 for name to appear on bib)*
-On-course and post-race refreshments
-ChronoTrack B-tag timed race
-Personalized results website

My question is, what is an "iGiftBag"? I've had the gift bags at other Disney races, don't know what the "i" means. Interesting.

Ariel484

...My question is, what is an "iGiftBag"? I've had the gift bags at other Disney races, don't know what the "i" means. Interesting.

No idea. That IS different terminology than what they've used in the past ("Goody Bag" vs. "iGiftBag"). Maybe every runner gets an iPad included in their entry fee?? :D :D :lol:

At any rate, I was NOT impressed with the goofy bag for the 2012 marathon. At least we got the little mesh drawstring bag at the 2011 Princess Half. The full giftbag was just coupons and ads, from what I remember. I hope it's a little better this year.

AUPr8Hd

No idea. That IS different terminology than what they've used in the past ("Goody Bag" vs. "iGiftBag"). Maybe every runner gets an iPad included in their entry fee?? :D :D :lol:

At any rate, I was NOT impressed with the goofy bag for the 2012 marathon. At least we got the little mesh drawstring bag at the 2011 Princess Half. The full giftbag was just coupons and ads, from what I remember. I hope it's a little better this year.

A lot of races are going to the "iGiftBag" to cut down on paper waste.

Ariel484

Ah...

What's an iGiftBag?

Anyhoo...start warming up your credit cards. Prices have been posted. I don't remember Goofy/kids races/5K prices from last year, but I think the half and full prices have increased by $10. :shrug: I'll continue to pray for a discount! :lol: :cry:

Walt Disney World® Marathon
$150 by June 19, 2012
$170 between June 20, 2012 and September 25, 2012
$190 on or after September 26, 2012

Walt Disney World® Half Marathon
$150 by June 19, 2012
$170 between June 20, 2012 and September 25, 2012
$190 on or after September 26, 2012

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
$320 by June 19, 2012
$350 between June 20, 2012 and September 25, 2012
$380 on or after September 26, 2012

Disney Family Fun Run 5K
$55 per participant
$60 per Stroller walk division participant

runDisney Kids Races
$10 per child

Mickey Mile
$25 per child

dreamfinder

I'm meh on the iGiftBag concept. I like the idea of not getting a pile of fliers for races I won't run, and products I won't buy, helps to save a few trees. But I do like some of the stuff I do get at some races, the physical stuff that an electronic coupon can't replace. Cowbells, stickers, stuff like that.

Anyhoo...start warming up your credit cards. Prices have been posted. I don't remember Goofy/kids races/5K prices from last year, but I think the half and full prices have increased by $10. :shrug: I'll continue to pray for a discount! :lol: :cry:

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
$320 by June 19, 2012
$350 between June 20, 2012 and September 25, 2012
$380 on or after September 26, 2012

Disney Family Fun Run 5K
$55 per participant
$60 per Stroller walk division participant

I found my receipt from last year. I did one of the early registrations, I think the Visa perhaps? If that was an extra $30 discount, then the prices would have been about the same. $320 + $55 = $375 and the pins were like 12.95 each, so another $25.90 for $400.90, $30 off for Visa, for a total of $370.90. Which is close to the $379.69 I paid when you add on the processing fees they charge. Maybe a $10 increase on Goofy cause I seem to recall being offended by the processing fee cost.

************************* REGISTRATION FOR ***************************

2012 Walt Disney World� Marathon Weekend - Special Disney Rewards℠ Program
Offer
2012 Goofy's Race & a Half Challenge - Commemorative Pin
2012 Family Fun Run 5K
2012 Family Fun Run 5K - Commemorative Pin

Payment Total: $379.69

Ariel484

I'm meh on the iGiftBag concept. I like the idea of not getting a pile of fliers for races I won't run, and products I won't buy, helps to save a few trees. But I do like some of the stuff I do get at some races, the physical stuff that an electronic coupon can't replace. Cowbells, stickers, stuff like that.

Yeah, not impressed. I'm with you on not getting the needless fliers, coupons, etc. though. Those just go right into the recycling in my house.

I found my receipt from last year. I did one of the early registrations, I think the Visa perhaps? If that was an extra $30 discount, then the prices would have been about the same. $320 + $55 = $375 and the pins were like 12.95 each, so another $25.90 for $400.90, $30 off for Visa, for a total of $370.90. Which is close to the $379.69 I paid when you add on the processing fees they charge. Maybe a $10 increase on Goofy cause I seem to recall being offended by the processing fee cost.

************************* REGISTRATION FOR ***************************

2012 Walt Disney World� Marathon Weekend - Special Disney Rewards℠ Program
Offer
2012 Goofy's Race & a Half Challenge - Commemorative Pin
2012 Family Fun Run 5K
2012 Family Fun Run 5K - Commemorative Pin

Payment Total: $379.69

And here is mine with the Disney Visa discount:

2012 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend - Special Disney Rewards℠ Program Offer
Walt Disney World® Marathon $125.00

+ $8.63 processing fee :fork:
= $133.63

So the marathon/half marathon fees did increase by $10. I got a $15 discount off the early registration cost of $140 using the Disney Visa for the 2012 marathon.

frank2271

One Dopey = $375.00
Two 5k's = $110.00
Two Half's = $300.00
----------------------
Total - $785.00

Spending countless hours training with my family (away from the tv and XBox) & and all three of us earning some GREAT looking Bling........

PRICELESS!!!!

(any discount at all = GREATLY appreciated)

Ariel484

One Dopey = $375.00
Two 5k's = $110.00
Two Half's = $300.00
----------------------
Total - $785.00

Spending countless hours training with my family (away from the tv and XBox) & and all three of us earning some GREAT looking Bling........

PRICELESS!!!!

(any discount at all = GREATLY appreciated)

I hate to be a jerk, but...don't forget those lovely active.com processing fees. :lookaroun :cry:

Ariel484

From the race discounts thread...

Disney Visa Discount:

$15 off the half marathon ($135 to register)
$15 off the full marathon ($135 to register)
$30 off the Goofy Challenge ($290 to register)

Offer expires June 19, 2012.

Also noticed that the pins went up a bit in price ($13.86 per pin) and they are also selling commemorative necklaces (??!) at $21.35 apiece.

I have a Disney Visa and receieved this offer by email 30 minutes ago. I'm going to register for the Goofy Challenge tonight!!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom