Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Sumrdog

Yay @Sumrdog Great job! I am kicking myself today for not slugging it out those last two miles and walking more than I should have. You are a hero!
You did awesome! Don't kick yourself, it was ridiculously hot on Saturday...I totally scored in the weather department and that can make a huuuuge difference. You did great!

ChristaH

Very random question for you two... how were the new women's cut race shirts?

Mine fit perfect and I love it. I had a medium. I am usually right on the break between a medium and a large and I think it fit pretty true to size, if not just a tad big. Everyone was wearing them, even on the hot days. I thought it odd that I did not see anyone wearing the I Did It shirts after the races. I wore mine on Saturday. There were two versions....a short-sleeve cotton t and a short-sleeve tech t. I think the cottons were women's size and they ran a little smaller....I got a large in that one. Each race was a different color in the I Did It shirts and the half was boring gray. But oh well...I did it so I'll proudly wear the gray shirt!

I am a little disappointed that Marathonfoto did not get a shot of me at the finish line. This is very stalkerish, but I've even gone through the results, found everybody who finished within a few seconds of me and checked to see if I might be in the background of one of their pictures. A lot of them did not have finish line pics either. I found a couple, but not one good enough to buy.

Mad Stitch

I am a little disappointed that Marathonfoto did not get a shot of me at the finish line. This is very stalkerish, but I've even gone through the results, found everybody who finished within a few seconds of me and checked to see if I might be in the background of one of their pictures. A lot of them did not have finish line pics either. I found a couple, but not one good enough to buy.

Give them some more time, there is hope yet. They have sent me the link to buy pics before and then a week or so later there were additional pics that were not there the first time I looked.

ChristaH

The girls at work decorated my office today. Just what my heart needed. I love them.

image.jpg

Sumrdog

Way to go @ChristaH and @Smurdog! Thanks for keeping us updated now go and enjoy your vacation time.

I love my T-shirt. I didn't buy an "I did it" shirt this time, due to budget constraints...I am saving my dollars for one of those Vera Bradley bags;). I usually like my clothes not too tight and a medium was perfect for me. I was so happy that it wasn't a boxy men's cut. It's a super nice shade of blue also.

monorail81

Mine fit perfect and I love it. I had a medium. I am usually right on the break between a medium and a large and I think it fit pretty true to size, if not just a tad big. Everyone was wearing them, even on the hot days. I thought it odd that I did not see anyone wearing the I Did It shirts after the races. I wore mine on Saturday. There were two versions....a short-sleeve cotton t and a short-sleeve tech t. I think the cottons were women's size and they ran a little smaller....I got a large in that one. Each race was a different color in the I Did It shirts and the half was boring gray. But oh well...I did it so I'll proudly wear the gray shirt!

I think the new cut of the shirts are great! It's the first shirt that I have actually been able to wear comfortably. I was a bit disappointed with the merchandise this time around. It seems like theey didn't put any effort into the designs of the shirts to buy. They concentrated all their efforts on the shirt they included.

There hadn't been any photos of us at the finish line before today. Then, some popped up. Also, before today, there wasn't an area at the bottom of the page called, "Provisional Photos" (or somethig like that). That's where the bulk of the finish line photos were. You just click keep on the ones you want and they are added. I am getting ready to email them because there are a lot of photos that include me (and my full bib number) in my husband's gallery but not mine. Once they add them, I plan on getting them. :)

imagination30

thanks you krista for posting those.. , and @Ariel484 we had a wonderful time at the grand.. krista will be posting more pics I sent her tonight. and one is of our room view .. it was big pine key.. More fun to come in a ful trip report , soon!.. but IT was a Magical experience:)

I did finish under 8:00am - I was near epcot about 7:47, bc I had my phone in my hand so I could gage time .. , So im very happy with my time ... cant wait to see my official time ... - but looking from the finish line photos from marathonphoto I think it was between 2:04- 2:05 range!- just watched my go pro video ..
just checked the run Disney site : and I finished 2333out of 20thousound ,
in my age group ,295,
my 5k spilt was 25:27
10k spilt was 54:34
15k spilt was 1:24:25
clock time was 2:09 :21
net was : 2:05:02

Last edited:

ChristaH

I found finish line pictures in the "provisional assignments"! yay!

I agree about the merchandise. And it was weird how they had a different "slate" of products for each race...not everything for all races. For example, there was no zip-up fleece hoodie for the half, there was one for the other races. So I bought sweaty bands as gifts for some friends who had supported me, and a t-shirt from one of the other vendors.

Dang I wish I had known that was @imagination30 walking next to me to the corrals! (instead of thinking it was some random weird guy with a camera on his head! LOL!)

Texas84

I agree about the merchandise. And it was weird how they had a different "slate" of products for each race...not everything for all races. For example, there was no zip-up fleece hoodie for the half, there was one for the other races. So I bought sweaty bands as gifts for some friends who had supported me, and a t-shirt from one of the other vendors.

The Disney Store online has some 'all race' stuff. There is one t-shirt with the medals that I would get if I had been there. Doesn't seem right for me to be able to buy that stuff when I wasn't there.

dreamfinder

Well, inaugural Dopey in the bag. Was a fun event, not too much chaos. Expo - A bit crowded on Weds and Thurs, but not terrible. Almost all Dopey merch was sold out by 11:30 on Weds. Seriously? All they had left was a handful of magnets/decals (not all styles), a few of the Dopey medal pins, and a bunch of the grey shirts with the medal bling on it. New Balance shoes - line was closed before noon Weds, so we went back over Thurs, got in line about 8:45 (after showing/eating post 5k), and then got our shoes around 11:45 (line was closed by then again). Even less race merch available on Thursday, looked like most of the Goofy racks were now Donald gear. Once again, runDisney you dropped the ball on merchandise. Could have sworn the ToT and W&D had polos from the blog postings. Nothing, not even a generic runDisney one to be found this time. The Vinylmation medal? Generic 2014 instead of custom ones like last year. Would have bought all as appropriate for both of those two categories. And seriously, lets get some variety in the merch. Short sleeve tech? Check. Long sleeve tech? Check. Quarter zip pullover? Check. Pint glass? Check. Look at the variety of stuff your vendors offer, take some inspiration. Heck, you offered more variety at the ToT race than you did for this one. Not gonna drop another $40 on a tech shirt when I got one with registration and I can't wear it to work, and I can get a plain one to run in for $20.

Have we jumped the shark? 7000+ Dopey & 7000+ Goofy. Only 9200 10k finishers, so what, 3,000 10k only slots? Half had 20200 finishers, so 6500 half only runners? Full was 19000 finishers, so another 6500 full only runners?

We seemed to be missing the last minute event info pamphlets? The one page deals that normally cover the condensed version of times, corral starts, etc. The lack of posted corral start times was strange.

5K - corrals seemed to work better than last year, but the layout is still wonky. They had problems getting people from the right side of the start, to cross over the start to get to the corrals. People were running in last minute. Characters - Flik on that backstage stretch before security, Norway had Scandinavian Daisy again, Germany had Dopey (massive line), France was Remy and Emil, reunion area was Pluto, Mickey, Donald, Chip & Dale.

10K - Announcers did a better job of getting people to the corrals. However Dopey runners are not 1/4 done. Course wasn't bad at all. Characters - Peter & Wendy/Hook & Smee around mile 1, Army man by the security booth, Mushu in China, Genie in Morocco, Football Goofy by ESPN, Chip/Dale by Imagination, reunion area had Donald, Daisy, Minnie (massive massive line) and Pluto.

1/2 - Same ol same ol course. Sounds like corral P started about 1 hour after the first corral, but no idea on pacing between the groups. Characters - Sparrow/Barbosa ~mile 2? Launchpad McQuack ~3, Jack/Sally ~3.5, Buzz in Tommorowland, Queen of Hearts by tea cups, Pooh by his ride, Medieval Donald & Daisy by castle, Louis in Liberty Square, Woody by country bear jamboree, Suzy & Perla backstage by the castle float, parade reindeer by the GF, Lilo & Stitch by the wedding pavilion, golf Mickey by the course, Phineas & Ferb just onstage in Epcot, reunion area was Pluto, Clarabelle Cow & Horace Horsecollar, Chip & Dale, and empty backdrop.

Full - Seemed to have minor changes. For instance, I recall returning backstage by Dinosaur, not by Primeval Whirl. I don't recall this as a change from last year. One or two other small things like that. Characters - Sparrow/Barbosa ~mile 2?, Jack/Sally ~3.5, Buzz in Tommorowland, White Rabbit by tea cups, Tigger by his ride, Medieval Minnie &Mickey by castle, Louis in Liberty Square, Woody by country bear jamboree, Rapunzel & Flynn backstage by the castle float, parade reindeer by the GF, Lilo & Stitch by the wedding pavilion, golf Donald by the course, villains with pride rock backdrop just after speedway, Pluto/Bolt/Dug closer to the wastewater treatment plant, Wendy & Peter just before horticulture, Jiminy Cricket in AK, Rafiki in AK, Safari Minnie and Daisy in Dinoland, Safari Mickey in AK parking lot, grave diggers around the AK parking gate, Army man on the DHS onramp, Wreck it Ralph backstage in DHS, Dopey by the international gateway, Mushu & Mulan in China, reunion area was Pluto, Clarabelle Cow & Horace Horsecollar, Chip & Dale, and empty backdrop.

My DW is a huge fan of her 10k shirt.

I'd try checking again. They have already sent out at least 1 email saying they found more pictures. Their turnaround was wicked fast this year, I'd wager they will keep doing corrections for a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom