Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Marathon Weekend Guide can be found here -> http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wdw-marathon/2014/Marathon14_Prgm_Online.pdf

A few quick things. Dopey = 2 bibs, 1 for 5/10k and 1 for half/full. They expanded the expo to go outside to the stadium as well as at the HP and Jostens arena. So it may be chaos trying to check in, get shirts, and schwag, and do other things you need to do.
And it looks like Goofy and Dopey runners pick up their bibs and shirt/gear bags in the same location...no need to go to the expo portion at all.
Also, they still list Tink as taking place in January. Didn't that get moved to mothers day?
Yes. o_O Get with the program (pun!) Disney.

Anyway, I like how Dopey and Goofy runners need to get wristbands to proved that they completed all required races. I hope they actually enforce that.

Expedition Everest 5K is listed now, where it was not in the Wine & Dine program.

Mad Stitch

Anyway, I like how Dopey and Goofy runners need to get wristbands to proved that they completed all required races. I hope they actually enforce that.

Were people skipping the half, and only running the full? What a waste. If I signed up for Goofy I'm earning my half medal. Heck when I did that Christmas Story 5k/10k I was real close to just finishing with the 5k-ers, but I told myself "no, I signed up for the 10k I'm running the 10k." And I didn't even get anything extra for it.

LindsayLoves

So glad to see the amount of corrals, its about time rundisney got on the same page as other races of the same size. For the Brooklyn Half with 21,000 runners last year there were 35-40 corrals. Can't wait to hear the (fingers crossed) good feedback about the addition of corrals.

Ariel484

It was moved to Mother's Day starting in 2015. The 2014 race is still in January.
Oh yeah! DUH!!
Were people skipping the half, and only running the full? What a waste. If I signed up for Goofy I'm earning my half medal. Heck when I did that Christmas Story 5k/10k I was real close to just finishing with the 5k-ers, but I told myself "no, I signed up for the 10k I'm running the 10k." And I didn't even get anything extra for it.
Honestly, I have no idea if people were doing this, but it wouldn't surprise me. I know I didn't have to show them anything to prove that I finished the half first this year...just having the bib on at the end of the marathon seemed to be enough. I guess they are doing it with Dopey because there are more ways to "cheat" the system but it's nice that it's there for Goofy now, too.
So glad to see the amount of corrals, its about time rundisney got on the same page as other races of the same size. For the Brooklyn Half with 21,000 runners last year there were 35-40 corrals. Can't wait to hear the (fingers crossed) good feedback about the addition of corrals.
I thought it worked well at Wine & Dine...it was noticeably less crowded when we were waiting for the start, that's for sure. Hopefully we'll hear good reports from January, too. :)

Ariel484

2015 for the rest of us? :)
You know it! :) I just got home from WDW on Saturday and the entire time we were there I was debating on where to stay for Marathon Weekend 2015. I'll be renting points somewhere and the 11-month mark is coming up next month. So do I fork over some more cash and stay on the monorail (rent at Bay Lake Towers or Grand Floridian Villas - less likely because I doubt the inventory to rent is there this early) or return to my newest love, Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or Wilderness Lodge Villas or Boardwalk Villas? Hmmm...

Any input (as I hog the thread away from those that are heading to WDW in mere days)??? :D I keep thinking I'm leaning toward one over the other and then I change my mind again!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you guys. I hope them changing the schedule (adding 1 more day for the expo and moving the 5K to Thursday) doesn't mess things up too much. The 10K course looks great.

dreamfinder

2014 race shirts shown here -> http://t.co/NO9wVNqzZP

You know it! :) I just got home from WDW on Saturday and the entire time we were there I was debating on where to stay for Marathon Weekend 2015. I'll be renting points somewhere and the 11-month mark is coming up next month. So do I fork over some more cash and stay on the monorail (rent at Bay Lake Towers or Grand Floridian Villas - less likely because I doubt the inventory to rent is there this early) or return to my newest love, Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or Wilderness Lodge Villas or Boardwalk Villas? Hmmm...

Well, remember that even though you can take the monorail at a monorail resort, you need to transfer to the Epcot loop, and then walk over from the monorail station. Not the end of the world, but some people don't like that extra walk/time. And the expo bus is often shared with the other MK resorts. Ditto for BW & the other Epcot resorts.

Ariel484

2014 race shirts shown here -> http://t.co/NO9wVNqzZP
I like 'em! So maybe orange Goofy and purple Dopey?
Well, remember that even though you can take the monorail at a monorail resort, you need to transfer to the Epcot loop, and then walk over from the monorail station. Not the end of the world, but some people don't like that extra walk/time. And the expo bus is often shared with the other MK resorts. Ditto for BW & the other Epcot resorts.
So at this point I've stayed at Beach Club Villas and Grand Floridian for Marathon Weekend...BCV shared buses with all of the Epcot resorts (which wasn't terrible but man, for the prices one pays to stay in the Epcot resorts...that's a lot of sharing!). I guess another option is the my husband is a teacher so we could get discounts at Swan and Dolphin...but that's pretty low on my list. I really liked the monorail last year. I just stayed at AKL and having to only share buses between Jambo and Kidani was pretty nice, and really the bus service overall was great. So I just don't know???

Looking forward to hearing about your and @Katherine going Dopey...you two are my guinea pigs! :D Good luck!

Ariel484

Since Swan and Dolphin is not a Disney resort, do they have busses to the expo and races?
I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that they do. I remember being surprised that all 5 Epcot resorts shared buses in 2012. If they don't I bet lots of people stay there and walk to Yacht & Beach to get the buses there.

We always consider Swan & Dolphin but the big killer for us is that they don't have Magical Express...so we'd need to book a shuttle from MCO or something. Plus they tack on extra nightly fees for internet and fitness center usage (?!) as well as other stuff...and we always talk ourselves out of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom