Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Greenlawler

Well I am still here on property. I came here with every intention of running, I even did my 5k and 10k before I got to Disney. I was already down here for a conference and ran those two distances. Wife flew down to meet me Thursday and informed me she hurt her back and could not run, she told me to go on.

I decided to just run it next month sometime instead of abandoning her for hours.

I'm a little disappointed but on the bright side we found an awesome deal and got a room at the Grand Floridian. We have never stayed here, plus we got an upgrade! So even though I did not run, and the Titans lost today, I am still at Disney, the Magic Kingdom was almost empty today and I am typing this while overlooking the 7 Seas Lagoon....it's not all bad.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Speaking of the Castaway Cay challenge - do we think 2022 marathon weekend will be the 6-9th with the cruise leaving January 10th (4 night cruise)? I'm YOLOing for Dopey2022 and strongly considering the cruise afterwards.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Congrats runners, be on the lookout for your shirts and medals!!! (by late- February... no seriously, late-February 😡)

CD2F39AD-D933-4438-99D0-56C4A5B893C6.png

FerretAfros

I'm back home and getting back to my regular routine after running my virtual Dopey in WDW.

I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which isn't ideal for running, since nearly all of the exterior spaces are taken up by the animal enclosures. I managed to string together a 5K Thursday and 10K Friday on site, but it was a lot of loops around the parking lot, since the path between Kidani Village and Jambo House is just barely over a quarter mile long.

For the half marathon, I took an Uber over to the Fort Wilderness campground, which was a great way to cover a lot of ground without too many other people around. Although I've never spent much time there, it was neat to see the whole area as it started to wake up for the day, along with some side excursions to Golden Oak and the Wilderness Lodge. There were a few other runners out (and a spectator setting up an aid table with snacks as I was in my final miles) and a few dog walkers, but the circuitous route I took kept me mostly to myself.

For the full, I went to the Boardwalk area and started with a few out-and-backs to the Studios before the morning crowds started to head over, when I switched to doing laps around the lake along with one loop around the perimeter of the parking lots. There were other runners out too, which made it feel a little more like an event; while the exact people changed as the hours passed, there were probably a dozen or so running at any given time. I ran 20 miles in the morning (my longest self-supported run ever), and finished the last 10K walking through the parks later in the day; even with the walking, my total time was only about 25 minutes slower than last year's marathon with the heat.

Running in Florida meant flatter topography and better weather than I'd get at home, and made it feel a little more special than just running in my neighborhood. I felt surprisingly good throughout each run, despite severely lackluster training; it was only later in the afternoons that I felt a little sore, but the recovery still seemed quicker than previous years. This was an especially pleasant surprise, since I had to cover so much distance on the concrete walkways, rather than the softer asphalt roads that are prevalent in races. It was also nice that I was able to run without a mask, since it was early enough and kept enough distance that the CMs didn't say anything.

Like so many things in the last year, it was definitely different than normal, but still fun in its own way. It was great to get those extra hours of sleep without having to deal with pre-race logistics, even though I still started each day around 5:30-6:00am. While there were a handful of folks in the parks wearing old race shirts (and probably more hidden by outer layers with the cool temperatures), there weren't as many as I expected; we had a couple friendly exchanges with other guests, but nowhere near the level of a normal year.

I'm hopeful that things will be back to normal by this time next year, but due to the nature of the event I suspect it may be one of the last things to return to 'normal'. If I hadn't been locked in to my travel plans already, I probably wouldn't have gone in person, but it was certainly a break from the usual event. On my way home, I realized that it was my 10th marathon weekend in a row, so hopefully next year will return to a live event.

Surferboy567

I'm back home and getting back to my regular routine after running my virtual Dopey in WDW.

I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which isn't ideal for running, since nearly all of the exterior spaces are taken up by the animal enclosures. I managed to string together a 5K Thursday and 10K Friday on site, but it was a lot of loops around the parking lot, since the path between Kidani Village and Jambo House is just barely over a quarter mile long.

For the half marathon, I took an Uber over to the Fort Wilderness campground, which was a great way to cover a lot of ground without too many other people around. Although I've never spent much time there, it was neat to see the whole area as it started to wake up for the day, along with some side excursions to Golden Oak and the Wilderness Lodge. There were a few other runners out (and a spectator setting up an aid table with snacks as I was in my final miles) and a few dog walkers, but the circuitous route I took kept me mostly to myself.

For the full, I went to the Boardwalk area and started with a few out-and-backs to the Studios before the morning crowds started to head over, when I switched to doing laps around the lake along with one loop around the perimeter of the parking lots. There were other runners out too, which made it feel a little more like an event; while the exact people changed as the hours passed, there were probably a dozen or so running at any given time. I ran 20 miles in the morning (my longest self-supported run ever), and finished the last 10K walking through the parks later in the day; even with the walking, my total time was only about 25 minutes slower than last year's marathon with the heat.

Running in Florida meant flatter topography and better weather than I'd get at home, and made it feel a little more special than just running in my neighborhood. I felt surprisingly good throughout each run, despite severely lackluster training; it was only later in the afternoons that I felt a little sore, but the recovery still seemed quicker than previous years. This was an especially pleasant surprise, since I had to cover so much distance on the concrete walkways, rather than the softer asphalt roads that are prevalent in races. It was also nice that I was able to run without a mask, since it was early enough and kept enough distance that the CMs didn't say anything.

Like so many things in the last year, it was definitely different than normal, but still fun in its own way. It was great to get those extra hours of sleep without having to deal with pre-race logistics, even though I still started each day around 5:30-6:00am. While there were a handful of folks in the parks wearing old race shirts (and probably more hidden by outer layers with the cool temperatures), there weren't as many as I expected; we had a couple friendly exchanges with other guests, but nowhere near the level of a normal year.

I'm hopeful that things will be back to normal by this time next year, but due to the nature of the event I suspect it may be one of the last things to return to 'normal'. If I hadn't been locked in to my travel plans already, I probably wouldn't have gone in person, but it was certainly a break from the usual event. On my way home, I realized that it was my 10th marathon weekend in a row, so hopefully next year will return to a live event.
Congrats on your Dopey!

Figment82

Congrats on your virtual Dopey - that is quite an achievement, especially self-made on Disney property. I agree, DAK Lodge has to be one of the worst resorts for running (amazing in every other aspect though!). Was the path between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness still closed for Reflections construction? I always loved that path.

I’m glad you were able to run without your mask. I saw some posts on another forum calling out others for not wearing them and running too closely to families walking to the parks. But, like you said, if you were up early enough and minded your distance, I don’t see it as necessary.

Also, it’s great that your recovery felt faster - that’s awesome!

Surferboy567

Not sure if anyone saw but if you check the most recent runDisney blog post it says “Be sure to be on the lookout as your marvelous medals and shirts will arrive to your home late January”. Could be a typo but maybe it’s late January. I also noticed a similar error on the Princess email. The one saying to verify your mailing address they said you could download your toolkit when the toolkit wasn’t live.

Source: https://www.rundisney.com/blog/chears-to-a-weekend-of-miles-and-memories/

Last edited:

RememberWhen

Not sure if anyone saw but if you check the most recent runDisney blog post it says “Be sure to be on the lookout as your marvelous medals and shirts will arrive to your home late January”. Could be a typo but maybe it’s late January. I also noticed a similar error on the Princess email. The one saying to verify your mailing address they said you could download your toolkit when the toolkit wasn’t live.
Late Jan would be better than Feb. Maybe the February line was for the princess races? Copy and paste without proofreading well?

Surferboy567

We got a medal in the mail today!
We had one person do 5k (this is what came)
One person 5k with shirt
Two kids do dashes

We were quite surprised that the medal came so soon (and in a big box like the wine and dine, but plainer white inside).

edit to add pics
View attachment 524462
View attachment 524463
That’s a nice box, I actually came to say my cousin got her 10K medal yesterday.

I am still waiting on my half and 10K. I think they should come in one box?

EDIT: It is really nice they listened to the feedback and started to speed up the delivery. Closer to the actual event date.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Just checked my UPS My Choice account, and I have a shipment from CCG ready to go (label was created on the 13th). Should be here soon, hopefully!
No label yet on my end, I’ll keep everyone posted.
Pretty sure it was sent via UPS and said CCG when we got notifications about it. I’ll edit to update if that’s not accurate.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom