Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Figment82

After receiving the rD email yesterday that suggested confirming your address, I went back and mine was unchecked again. I swear it was checked/confirmed a while ago. Typical Disney IT gremlins! šŸ˜‚

Surferboy567

After receiving the rD email yesterday that suggested confirming your address, I went back and mine was unchecked again. I swear it was checked/confirmed a while ago. Typical Disney IT gremlins! šŸ˜‚
I got that email as well but their is no spot for ā€œadditional registrationā€ questions and all the info is right so I think I am good.

Greenlawler

I was going to lose points so I moved my cancelled W&D trip to end of January, rolling the few points from Marathon weekend into that, so I'm staying at BLT, lake view. Shocked I was able to get a room at that time of year. I may hold off on running the Half until then, do just the 5K and 10K at home. I like @Greenlawler's running around 7 Seas route. I can run from the Contemporary around to GF (or even Poly if I need the miles) and back, now that the GF walkway is open.
We will be at the GF so once we establish a time anyone who wants can run with us. Obviously if you are on the Lagoon it would be easier.

Surferboy567

Today, was a big day and marks a milestone in my training. My second ever runDisney event, as well as my first marathon weekend event. The Walt Disney World 10K! I really wanted to make a good effort on this and actively tried to PR during the entire race. To the point, that I think I overdid it. This was the first time I felt queasy (nothing major) during a run. That being said, I finished the race and I did in fact PR by a decent margin.

Since next week is the Walt Disney World Half I will be running it on the day. Using lessons learned from this race I donā€™t really have any pace expectations for that since it will be my first Half marathon as well as the first time running the half marathon distance. I will give it my best effort but I am not aiming to be as fast as this race but around the same range.

Anyways...here are the stats:

Time: 01:14:38
Distance: 6.22
Avg Pace: 11:59

Mile 1: 11:37
Mile 2: 11:32
Mile 3: 11:37
Mile 4: 11:52
Mile 5: 12:32
Mile 6: 12:26

Next week begins another race week! WDW Half!

PRā€™s achieved:

Best 5K: 35:36
Best 10K: 01:13:16

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, when you go to submit your times, they have added a feedback prompting a survey. Also a ā€œplaceā€ section has been added they are probably going to say what you placed against everyone else. This is different from Wine & Dine. They are definitely trying to streamline the virtual races.

Surferboy567

They just put out a video on their YouTube channel thanking everyone, talking a little about the charity, and also doing a quick countdown via a projection (I think) on Spaceship Earth.

Figment82

Got out there and got it done! Wind chill was reporting at 37Ā° when I started and around 48Ā° by the time I finished. Some nice 10mph gusts thrown in from time to time. Quite a difference from last yearā€™s weather!

I tried to visualize the course as I ran - got a little emotional around mile 11 thinking of the cheering spectators as you pass through the parking lot/bus stops into Epcot.

Finished in 2:46:48 - ever so slightly faster than my last half, but since this was measured with phone GPS (no tangents, dodging other runners, etc.) itā€™s obviously not the same. Hereā€™s to an optimistic look towards 2022, and running through Disney property again soon! Congratulations to everyone getting out there and running their virtual races!

Surferboy567

Just like that the WDW Half is in the books. It was a lot more pleasant then I thought it would be. Didnā€™t have too many problems till the last 1.5 miles where then the distance was starting to make me tired.

Here are the stats:

Time: 02:40:43
Distance: 13.14
Avg Pace: 12:14

Mile 1: 12:02
Mile 2: 11:56
Mile 3: 11:58
Mile 4: 11:48
Mile 5: 11:53
Mile 6: 12:32
Mile 7: 12:32
Mile 8: 12:19
Mile 9: 12:22
Mile 10: 12:04
Mile 11: 12:47
Mile 12: 12:29
Mile 13: 12:29

This being my first half ever it is naturally a automatic PR for this distance. This will now be the baseline for half marathon distances to compare to in the future. Overall, I am extremely happy with these numbers. I really tried my best and didnā€™t feel queasy like I did during the 10K. For not being ā€œproperlyā€ trained for the half this makes these numbers even more impressive (only 12 weeks into Fairytale Challenge training). Excited for the medals! With that, I am going to take a nice long rest.

Side Note: I regret not getting the shirts but itā€™s fine I am getting all the Star Wars ones when that weekend happens.

EDIT: The weather conditions were super ideal for this a little cold but such a perfect day for this virtual run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom