Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@LAKid53 Wait are you Welsh?

I am too, just went to Cardiff last September.

Good catch! Most go, "cool dragon". 👍

My grandfather's mother was born in Wales and her family emigrated when she was a child. My mom grew up hearing Welsh spoken in the home as her grandmother and her grandmother's sister spoke Welsh to each other frequently. We have cousins (the half of the family that remained in Wales) we communicate with and my mom (and her sister) visited during my parents annual pilgrimage to the UK. I'm Irish (my dad), Welsh (paternal grandfather), Scottish and English (maternal grandmother). Guess you could say I'm Celtic. If my grandmother's mother had been from Cornwall instead of Surrey, I'd be all Celtic.

Your family is from Cardiff? We're from Swansea. Home of Catherine Zeta-Jones.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Just checking in again. Is anyone else going down and running?

I was, but since DCL cruise #4 was recently cancelled - was going to do the Castaway Cay Challenge, thinking when I booked the cruise back in March, everything would be back to in-person - I changed my resort reservation.

If Star Wars gets moved to virtual, I may keep that reservation. If I don't, I'll move it to W&D weekend in November.

surfsupdon

I WAS going down the weekend to still run. Until I realized I was paying premium pricing for my Disney Resort room because the season was ‘Marathon Weekend.’ Pop was 176 WITH my discount. Disney, marathon weekend doesn’t exist so get rid of that pricing scheme. I felt like a sucker.
So instead I rebooked in value season 2 weekends later at Yacht for 197/night. Pretty incredible difference. So I will be running virtually at the end of the month down at Disney.

FerretAfros

I'll be there! I'm registered for the Dopey virtual and ideally would like to get it knocked out while I'm there (better weather and flatter topography than doing it at home), but I'm not entirely sure how feasible that will be with my current lack of distance training.

I'm staying at AKL, which doesn't really have much in the way of running trails, so I still have to figure out the best way to get the distance in. While there are a handful of good places to cover some ground, I'm worried that the obvious places (Boardwalk, Grand/Poly, Pop/AoA) will be overly crowded with people trying to do the same. In an ideal world, there would be somewhere that's empty enough to not really require masks, but that's probably not a realistic expectation

Depending how things work out the first couple days, I might try to link up with some of your group for the Half. I don't have any time goals, so it might be nice to get some company for some of the distance!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know W&D runners who tried to do their virtual onsite and were stopped and told to mask up. So be prepared.

When I ran around Ft. Wilderness in September, I got glances from CMs if I didn't have my mask on.

Surferboy567

Runners,

Check your runDisney profiles if you are running in one of the virtual marathon weekend races. Bibs, and digital toolkits should be in your profiles. You cannot submit results until January 1st (this may be changed later though).

Figment82

I wasn’t able to confirm my address under my registration - anyone else have that issue? Had no problem with my daughter’s. I’m guessing it’s fine, since my address is listed and correct, it just wouldn’t let me check the little box. 🤷‍♀️

RememberWhen

I wasn’t able to confirm my address under my registration - anyone else have that issue? Had no problem with my daughter’s. I’m guessing it’s fine, since my address is listed and correct, it just wouldn’t let me check the little box. 🤷‍♀️
I couldn’t find the little box when looking on my phone. I’ll have to borrow DS’s school laptop and see if it works on there.

Surferboy567

I don’t even have that box? Where was yours? When I go into registration details the address is gray (can’t edit) but it is correct.

Greenlawler

I'll be there! I'm registered for the Dopey virtual and ideally would like to get it knocked out while I'm there (better weather and flatter topography than doing it at home), but I'm not entirely sure how feasible that will be with my current lack of distance training.

I'm staying at AKL, which doesn't really have much in the way of running trails, so I still have to figure out the best way to get the distance in. While there are a handful of good places to cover some ground, I'm worried that the obvious places (Boardwalk, Grand/Poly, Pop/AoA) will be overly crowded with people trying to do the same. In an ideal world, there would be somewhere that's empty enough to not really require masks, but that's probably not a realistic expectation

Depending how things work out the first couple days, I might try to link up with some of your group for the Half. I don't have any time goals, so it might be nice to get some company for some of the distance!
You are welcome to join us. Right now, it's just me, my wife and another runner. Let's keep in touch. I think we are going to do 7 seas lagoon, but we are up for suggestions. We are all staying at GF, but if you have a better run circuit we could go where you like. Right now we are planning to just run from GF to Contemporary and back for the half.

Not sure how to private message here....we are good people, not weird. You would have fun with us. We are going to take it slow. My wife and our friend from NC are both coming off knee injuries. So we are probably only doing 12-14 minute miles and enjoying ourselves.

My plan is to do the Dopey about two weeks out, then do the half that Saturday with anyone who wants to join us. This goes for anyone who sees this post, the more the merrier. I would love to run with any of my online WDW friends

Last edited:

Figment82

I don’t even have that box? Where was yours? When I go into registration details the address is gray (can’t edit) but it is correct.
2FBBE81B-DD97-4B78-958F-33FB9F46E041.jpeg

When you go under My Registrations > click on Marathon Weekend > Your Registration Information drop-down, it’s underneath the emergency contact information. There’s a long legal paragraph and the checkbox is at the end (with a Yes, I Understand message). Once you’re able to click the checkbox, it makes the address editable.

Hope this helps!

LAKid53

Premium Member
View attachment 517763
When you go under My Registrations > click on Marathon Weekend > Your Registration Information drop-down, it’s underneath the emergency contact information. There’s a long legal paragraph and the checkbox is at the end (with a Yes, I Understand message). Once you’re able to click the checkbox, it makes the address editable.

Hope this helps!

This box was selected when you initially registered for the virtual races. All my Princess races and my SIL's SW Virtual Half have the box checked.

Just make sure the address you entered AFTER the statement is correct. And then press SAVE.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I WAS going down the weekend to still run. Until I realized I was paying premium pricing for my Disney Resort room because the season was ‘Marathon Weekend.’ Pop was 176 WITH my discount. Disney, marathon weekend doesn’t exist so get rid of that pricing scheme. I felt like a sucker.
So instead I rebooked in value season 2 weekends later at Yacht for 197/night. Pretty incredible difference. So I will be running virtually at the end of the month down at Disney.

I was going to lose points so I moved my cancelled W&D trip to end of January, rolling the few points from Marathon weekend into that, so I'm staying at BLT, lake view. Shocked I was able to get a room at that time of year. I may hold off on running the Half until then, do just the 5K and 10K at home. I like @Greenlawler's running around 7 Seas route. I can run from the Contemporary around to GF (or even Poly if I need the miles) and back, now that the GF walkway is open.

Surferboy567

View attachment 517763

Hope this helps!
This box was selected when you initially registered for the virtual races. All my Princess races and my SIL's SW Virtual Half have the box checked.

Just make sure the address you entered AFTER the statement is correct. And then press SAVE.
My box has already been checked, and the address is correct. So I think I am good, right?

Surferboy567

Just to be safe, I went though each registration made sure the box was checked and address was correct (it was) and hit save. Even though I didn’t change anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom