Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just sent an email:

A kind one, pointing out what I thought were the three issues to an otherwise great weekend

1. Pace groups taking up much of the path
2. The merch lines and supply at the expo (as usual)
3. The lack of really anything special for the 25th event character wise.

Just needed to share, maybe a letter would have been better?

They still can't figure out how to handle the official merchandise area?! My pet peeve? People filling up a basket the first day with dozens of magnets, pins, Tervis mugs, etc., to end up selling it on eBay. runDisney needs to set a 2 per item limit so runners who don't arrive until Friday or Saturday can purchase something.

I'm glad you can now pre-order the medal replica pin and race magnet. I've done that for both Princess and Dark Side. All I will need are the "I did it!" shirts and possible replacements for the race shirts - I wish they'd stop using a heavy cotton one for the 5ks.

dreamfinder

My wife took these pictures during the marathon two weeks ago and we cannot figure out what these things are from.

Does anyone know what these are and where they were used? The tikis look like they are from Finding Nemo.

View attachment 257573
View attachment 257574
View attachment 257575

Pretty sure that the third one was stuff from the Port Orleans food court before the refurb. You can see a picture of the female sculpture here -> http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/1540/medium/Sassagoula-Food-Court-012.jpg

I had heard someone say that the polar bears were from Ice Station Cool, but I don't think I went in there until it was Club Cool, so I'm not 100%.

I've seen them use the tiki's at Lili & Stitch photo stops on course in the past. They look like they were painted for black light, and I can't find any pictures of them in use at the Nemo show.

There is a chance that both the bears & tiki's were custom made as props for photo opportunities or just scenery at private events that they then re-purposed to photo opps.

RunningKoen

Didn't get the news from the bank I was hoping for.

Any ideas for a budget friendly version of a Dopey race. Where can you go cheap and whats worth the money when running 50 miles? (Staying on/off property?)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Didn't get the news from the bank I was hoping for.

Any ideas for a budget friendly version of a Dopey race. Where can you go cheap and whats worth the money when running 50 miles? (Staying on/off property?)

Tecnically 48.5 miles, but what's another 1.5 miles.

Off property will be cheaper. There are nice hotels around Disney Springs. The so-called partner hotels. And I believe there's talk of them going the 60 day window to make fastpass selections. There should be a discussion thread out there about it. You'll have to search for it though.

Transportation to the races and Expo will be the issue. You'd have to Uber or taxi.

RunningKoen

Tecnically 48.5 miles, but what's another 1.5 miles.

Off property will be cheaper. There are nice hotels around Disney Springs. The so-called partner hotels. And I believe there's talk of them going the 60 day window to make fastpass selections. There should be a discussion thread out there about it. You'll have to search for it though.

Transportation to the races and Expo will be the issue. You'd have to Uber or taxi.

How big is the difference in pricing between on/off propterty?

Yeah, magical express combined with the busses to parks but most important the expo and race was for me the biggest reason to stay on property in '17.

Often there are deals including park tickets and dining plan making it even more worth it to stay on property.

Will probably stay shorter and all star sort resort.

dreamfinder

How big is the difference in pricing between on/off propterty?

Check out http://disneyspringshotels.com/ and https://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/browse-hotels/ Those are either basically right off property, or at least willing to for over cash/meet standards to be tagged as a "Good Neighbor". Pricing difference can be pretty big, especially when you look at the quality of the hotel/amenities that they offer and compare like to like. IE Off property might be bigger room, breakfast included, etc. However if you just want a place to sleep and don't really care about the amenities, the cost of just staying at an on property value would probably be about the same as staying off property and then paying for rental/taxi/Uber to get to the races and expo. Not to mention I can't really see that many cabs/Ubers just hanging around at 3 AM, so you might have a bit of a wait.

Greenlawler

We have fundraised for many events. Sometimes the fundraising groups will include a WDW Hotel in the package.

We have stayed everywhere from the Poly, Contemporary, Boardwalk, WL, CB, CS. and FQ just fundraising.

If you pick the right charity, it is "fairly simple" to hit the goals. Most people will donate $5-$25 to a cause if they support you and or your cause. If you can find that one "big donor" that also helps big time. We have a couple of companies who donate $1,000 every year and it is in their budget now.

This year I know at least two teams were offering, Dopey tag and Disney Hotel (5 nights) as long as you raised $4,900-5,000

I know that sounds daunting but if you start early and have some drive it is doable. My wife and I have raised well over that amount every year for the Marathon Weekend. (not a brag, just trying to encourage.)

Last edited:

RunningKoen

However if you just want a place to sleep and don't really care about the amenities, the cost of just staying at an on property value would probably be about the same as staying off property and then paying for rental/taxi/Uber to get to the races and expo.

Yeah, I figured this out aswell. Not all the amenities, but mostly the transport is what I really need, so that's a big, big reason to stay on site.

I might go Pop centurty, slightly more expensive but I like it more than the All Star themes.

I don't have the time to do a succesful fundraising and I'm the right person for it, so it sounds great, but that wont work.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
@RunningKoen. The All Stars are scheduled to start renovations, with All Star Movies first. Keep that in mind if you look there. Starts next month.

I have ASM + park hoppers booked for the wine/dine half for less than $1500. I don't care about resorts - all I'm gonna do is sleep/bathe there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom