Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LizaMarie89

Hey L.A. kid - yes I'm going to do the virtual Light side!

I wanted to murder a few pacer groups during the half. They were very unaware of people and kept cutting people off with their walks.

Crowds felt worse in the parks on Thursday And Friday than during The actual weekend.

I didn't like the course for the half as much as I liked dark side but running down mainstreet... well walking because it was too crowded... was fun.

Came home and got sick immediately... have to start training tomorrow for the dark side and I feel like death

OG Runner

You have to admit, part of the problem is also the "thin" areas of the course. I got in behind a group just as
we got on the path between Hollywood Studios and Boardwalk, Epcot, etc. and some yelled "WALK". Guess
what, that is what you were doing, even if it wasn't your plan.

LizaMarie89

That was part of the issue too - when they should have been walking because there really wasnt room to run - some of them were still trying to run

dreamfinder

You have to admit, part of the problem is also the "thin" areas of the course. I got in behind a group just as
we got on the path between Hollywood Studios and Boardwalk, Epcot, etc. and some yelled "WALK". Guess

Except their pace leader should have been reminding them to move over and the group should adjust accordingly. Only wide enough for 4 people? The pace group should have been no more than two wide. If needed, the pace leader should slow down the run coming out of the walk so everyone can get even again. Stretch by BW? Single file or walk on the grass. It's just like being in a car on the highway. If you are going slower than the cars around you, move over and to the right hand lane. It's not that hard.

Sigh.

LizaMarie89

Except their pace leader should have been reminding them to move over and the group should adjust accordingly. Only wide enough for 4 people? The pace group should have been no more than two wide. If needed, the pace leader should slow down the run coming out of the walk so everyone can get even again. Stretch by BW? Single file or walk on the grass. It's just like being in a car on the highway. If you are going slower than the cars around you, move over and to the right hand lane. It's not that hard.

Sigh.

This. Exactly.

Instead they were weaving and cutting people off and running about 5 across at times when there wasn't the room for it. Can a comment be sent to Galloway on that? To whomever organizes the pacers?

RunningKoen

runDisney is giving them pacer stickers to overrule corral placement, so it might be an idea to contact rundisney since they know who the pacers are

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I hate that stretch of the course. I'm sure one day someone will get pushed over the fence into the water.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
runDisney is giving them pacer stickers to overrule corral placement, so it might be an idea to contact rundisney since they know who the pacers are

So if I sign up with the 3:00 pacers at the Expo, but am assigned to the last corral, that's overridden?

dreamfinder

So if I sign up with the 3:00 pacers at the Expo, but am assigned to the last corral, that's overridden?

Basically the pacers are usually re-assigned to whatever corral is appropriate for their pace, not the people running with the pace group. I have no idea how Galloway's pacers are picked/assigned, but I know some other events they don't know who will be pacing a certain time until shortly before the race. Back when Clif bar paced I saw the same pacer do paces like an hour apart at different events. That's why some of them have to refer to their pace bands as often as they do, they need to make sure they are on the right pace for that particular finish time.

LizaMarie89

I chatted last night and passed along concerns to Disney about the pacing groups. She said she will pass it along to run Disney but who really knows

Greenlawler

Just sent an email:

A kind one, pointing out what I thought were the three issues to an otherwise great weekend

1. Pace groups taking up much of the path
2. The merch lines and supply at the expo (as usual)
3. The lack of really anything special for the 25th event character wise.

Just needed to share, maybe a letter would have been better?

dreamfinder

Just sent an email:

A kind one, pointing out what I thought were the three issues to an otherwise great weekend

1. Pace groups taking up much of the path
2. The merch lines and supply at the expo (as usual)
3. The lack of really anything special for the 25th event character wise.

Just needed to share, maybe a letter would have been better?

Anything is better than nothing.

OG Runner

I have to admit to being a bit underwhelmed with this version of the race. The build up
for the 20th anniversary seemed much bigger. That is when many of the Jeff Galloway
youtube videos were done. They had the whole thing about the medals. They had the
extra characters at the 20 mile mark. I understand putting something at the 25 mile mark
might not make much sense, but overall the feel was that the 25th anniversary really
wasn't that special in the eyes of RunDisney.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
My wife took these pictures during the marathon two weeks ago and we cannot figure out what these things are from.

Does anyone know what these are and where they were used? The tikis look like they are from Finding Nemo.

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom