Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Texas84

So, this was my first only-Goofy after two Dopeys. My times were meh but felt darn good. Luckily I had an appointment with my foot doctor today and she was able to remove a toe nail damaged in the full. It's a badge of honor folks. :D

I never did warm up Saturday but Sunday was a lot better. Ran in shorts. This is probably my last Marathon Weekend. Still going for the perfect Dark Side, or whatever it's called now.

Texas84

The DJ at WWoS at about mile 20 was cracking everyone up, making fun of the marathon.

(Stops music) "Let's be honest for a minute, this s**ks."

"No, you're not almost there. When you get to mile 25, then you're almost there."

"That guy on Main Street telling you you're almost there? Dude, drop the doughnut and come run a mile with me."

"Does WWoS go on forever? Yes it does."

Texas84

And I finally saw the balloon ladies! I was at about mile 9 during the half going back to Epcot and saw them going towards MK followed by some bikes (medical maybe) and a bunch of white vans.

And the parks were a disaster. Everyone was blaming the runners but I don't remember the crowds being this bad.

RunningKoen

And I finally saw the balloon ladies! I was at about mile 9 during the half going back to Epcot and saw them going towards MK followed by some bikes (medical maybe) and a bunch of white vans.

And the parks were a disaster. Everyone was blaming the runners but I don't remember the crowds being this bad.

Close of water parks, people with holidays planned at the beach, but going to parks instead of the weather, school holiday and some other reasons were posted during the 'AK parking lot closure' topic.

Marathon didnt help the crowds, but didnt cause it all by itself

Figment82

The DJ at WWoS at about mile 20 was cracking everyone up, making fun of the marathon.

"No, you're not almost there. When you get to mile 25, then you're almost there."

"That guy on Main Street telling you you're almost there? Dude, drop the doughnut and come run a mile with me."

Oh my gosh, that’s fantastic! Stuff like that really helps you keep going.

As I passed the first water stop during the half (was that even mile 1 yet?), one of the guys shouted out “You’re almost there!” And the woman next to him smacked him in the stomach and screeched “Don’t say that! That’s the worst thing you could say!” Made me laugh, because it’s so true!

lukacseven

Goofy #5 in the books & no let downs or anything negative to say about the races. I liked the Sport Beans instead of Clif Shots on the courses & the cherry Powerade was a nice change from lemon-lime. Scored big with a regular-sized pack of candy corn M&Ms at DHS. It will be interesting to see if the course evolves over the next few years, as all the construction projects get completed. We did inquire as to why the course did not route through Pandora and were told that since the park will be open to guests during the race, it would be too congested & too difficult to manage the people.

Texas84

And of course, these little beauties, passed out at the finish.
WP_20180107_11_54_02_Rich.jpg

RunningKoen

Still can't believe I did Dopey, and did it so well! Feels fantastic.

I went to school yesterday, but by days end I was feeling not very good. I stayed home today. Just think my body needs some rest.
I worked directly the monday after the 36KM weekend in Paris, and that was quite a challenge. Working after a Dopey sounds like pure hell.

FerretAfros

I had a great time running my 5th Dopey. The cold temperatures definitely made the races challenging and the massive crowds in the park made them tough to enjoy (though it got a lot better beginning Friday), but as always Marathon Weekend is such a great production that it's hard not to have a good time.

I walked the 5K with my parents, and ran the 10K and Half at a comfortable pace. The Full started slow with sore legs, but I was able to keep an amazingly even pace throughout the whole thing, with only a couple seconds difference between my fastest and slowest splits. I don't think I've ever pushed so hard for so long in the final miles of a race, and it certainly wasn't my fastest time, but I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish, especially considering my lack of training due to a running injury in October.

Dopey is certainly a big commitment and the last 2 years have shown us to always expect the unexpected, but I'm excited to keep my legacy status going as long as it remains feasible. I really enjoy the welcoming-to-all atmosphere, while still demanding a huge physical commitment that creates a great sense of accomplishment. It's a really unique event that's just not like anything I've found elsewhere
And of course, these little beauties, passed out at the finish.
View attachment 255559
I'm as much of a grump as anybody, but I even have to admit that I got a little misty-eyed when I turned the corner and saw the volunteers handing these out. It was a great surprise and a really fun way to cap off the weekend (no pun intended)!

psherman42

Oh my gosh I loved the DJ in WWoS. My favorite line of his when I was going by was "How did they manage to build Osceola Parkway uphill in both directions?" :joyfull:

dreamfinder

Overall, not a bad marathon weekend. Weather was a smidgen cold, but nothing unbearable. Not my fastest times by far, but considering I didn't do a single run longer than 13 or so miles this year, I'll take it. No unplanned walk breaks. The pre-race wait was rough Thurs/Fri, but the races themselves were ok with proper gear. Merch line for the Expo shifted from OK to crazy. We got there about 20 mins before it opened to public, and the line was still in the 20x20 tent at the bottom of the stairs. When I left the merch/challenge reg area the line wrapped through that tent, then all way the back around the soccer field by the Visa center.
The way they handled the corrals for the 5k/10k was different this year. Both days I walked to the corrals at 5:00, so 30 mins before start, and they had already released Corrals A and B by that time, so people were scrambling trying to get to the front/convince the volunteers they needed to be let through. Not the worst, but when you couldn't hear the DJ in the bag check/reunion area where lots of people were huddled around the heaters it could be a problem. Huge props the random stranger on the Boardwalk passing out beer at 6AM during the 10k. I won't take candy from strangers, but beer? Of course. A decent mix of characters on course, changed some up over the days, and brought out more different characters and less costume variations. And most times where there were multiple characters, they seemed to try to change them out staggered, so you could get a picture with at least one if you wanted. Sport Beans were a little solid during the half due to the temps, and using clear cherry Powerade was a strange choice, I think 99% of all races I've done it's been the standard yellow lemon lime. I did like the return of the archives/historical section between World Drive and the sewage treatment area. They hyped it up for the 20th when they just had the 5 ride vehicles, but this time they added stuff from Club Cool, Port Orleans, and a few characters from the Adventurers Club and I didn't hear the announcers say a word.
BOO! to the MK security guard who dropped my Dopey medal on the ground and dinged it pretty bad. I was past the metal detectors holding my son and my DM had my bag. I heard the clang 20+ feet away. Guy didn't give a crap.
Meh! to the Galloway pace groups. I get that you guys do the run walk thing, it's gotten me through some less than stellar training years. But when you slow to your walk, don't walk 4/5 across in areas narrower than a single lane road. The same applies in water stops. Spread yourselves out more. The same applies to any/all groups, but it just seems worse here since they were walking every few minutes and just blocking the way.

Now of course what you all have been waiting for, full list of characters and entertainment seen. Left out the DJs as they just are kinda there to me, no offense meant to any of them as some did an awesome job trying to hype up the runners.

Characters/Entertainment
Pre/Post race in reunion area with sport outfit as appropriate
Pluto
Donald
Goofy
Mickey
Minnie
Dopey

Chip and Dale backstage .7
Vikings in Norway
Jimminy Cricket in Italy
Tourist Genie in Morocco
Koda and Keani in Canada
Horace Horsecollar at The Land

Pocahontas and Meeko at dogleg
Flik and Atta
Old Hag
Stilt Walkers
Vikings in Norway
Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder in Germany
Pinocchio in Italy
Marie in France
Tourist Genie at ESPN
Construction streetmosphere backstage at IG
Duffy at spine
Stilt walkers at 6 backstage

Half
Band
Stilt walkers
Pirate ship
Mickey hot air balloon
Mater & Lightning
Ralph & Venelope
Jack & Sally
Band @ TTC
Mike & Sully in Tomorrowland
White Rabbit @ teacups
Great Goofini @ entrance to Circus
Sebastian @ LM
Suzy & Perla @ castle
Woody Bullseye in Frontierland
Cinderella Sleeping Beauty and princes @ parade barn w/castle float
Penguins at GF
Grooomsmen at Wedding Pavillion
Tourist Genie & Mickey golf cart at golf course
Incredibles
Sparrow and Barbosa @ pirate ship (not out when we went past the other way)
Sarge on overpass
Stilt walkers
Tinkerbell and Terrance just backstage
Stitch at turnaround in WS

Full
Band
Lightning & Mater
Launchpad & Scrooge
Queen of Hearts & Malificent & Evil Queen (saw heart box/throne but no character)
Band @ TTC
Buzz in Tomorrowland
Tweedles & White Rabbit at Tea Cups
Donald in Snake Charmer costume at Circus entrance
Sebastian at LM ride
Stepsisters & Stepmother at castle
Woody in Frontierland
Maleficent stilt walkers by parade barn
Penguins at GF
Grooomsmen at Wedding Pavillion
Tourist Genie & Mickey golf cart at golf course
Ride Vehicles from 20k Under The Sea, Mr Toad, Skyway, Astro Orbiter, Snow White
Club cool? polar bears
Port Orleans food court float bits
Adventurers Club
Hades, Pain & Panic just before sewage treatment
Clarabelle @ horticulture
Timon & Rafiki in Harambe
King Louie by Caravan Theatre
Random tourist Steetmosphere in Dinorama
Gravediggers in AK parking lot
Carl, Russell and Dug
Pluto with paleontologist and skull in construction area
Soccer Minnie
Sport Goofy
Sport Donald and Mickey
Joy & Sadness
Sarge on overpass
Oswald in F! queue
Construction streetmosphere backstage at IG
Belle & Sleeping Beauty in France
Snow White in Germany
Mulan in China
Gospel choir
Chip & Dale at finish line

Greenlawler

Just some quick hits......

Personally I had a decent Dopey, as you all know I have had a tough year with injuries and weight. Cannot seem to drop those extra lbs, and my foot is still not healed 100%. Honestly I was just trying not to get hurt further and finish. I only finished 5 minuters slower than last year and felt really good at the end of the race.

Ran with DW the first three races so we stopped and met the characters, took our time.

AS far as characters go... This is my 11 year running and I cannot remember a year where I have been as disappointed. For the "25th" Anniversary I was certain there would be something really special. And while Hades, Pain, Panic, and Scrooge, and Launchpad are cool they have all been out for multiple races and events over the last 5 years.

There are dozens of characters who could have been brought out that would be special treats for the hundreds who run for characters.

This is just my opinion.....with maybe a couple of exceptions

Every year previously there has been at least one character per race weekend that has not been out in years, Zoro, Davy Crockett, Tom Sawyer, Shan Yu (after a long absence), Ulf, last year Oswald's first appearance in WDW, 3 Little Pigs back years ago, Oogie Boogie in 2016,

I used to list all the characters like Dreamfinder did and I have those lists from like 08-20014 but I need to find them. It really does feel less and less every year.

In 09 Epcot alone, for the half marathon, they had 11 characters where Duffy was this year. The entire Hunchback, Pinochio, and Robin Hood gangs.

As for the crowds I think there should be a different thread, but if the mods don't agree they can move it back here.

wdwjmp239

Another Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend come and gone. An event we all look forward to every year. An annual feat where we push ourselves to run long distances and push our bodies to extreme limits. Why do we do this? Maybe we're endurance junkies? Maybe we love the abuse? Maybe we're runDisney addicts? Whatever the reason is, I'm looking forward to 2019.

This year, I attempted the Walt Disney World Marathon. Yes, I was "ONLY" doing the marathon. I had a really great run until I got inside Wide World Of Sports where my left leg decided to hook up with a slight imperfection in the road causing the leg to overextend the hamstring. I didn't think much of it until I got about halfway through the track and that's when the marathon, for me, was over. My pace of 12:30 min/mile quickly turned into a very, very sluggish 25:45 min/mile until I got up to the medic station. That was by far the slowest mile in my life. I tried to rub the hamstring out, stretch it out, work out the cramps, etc and that's when I saw the balloon ladies walk right on by. I tried to get up to catch up, but the leg wasn't having it. So, I turned around and got on the bus. Was I upset? Not at all. I got further this year than I did in 2017. And, 20 miles? I'm pleased with the performance.

Am I going to try the marathon again? Of course, but next year I'm coming back to do the half marathon. I'll give the marathon attempt a break and go for 3rd time's a charm in 2020.

So, to all of you who completed your 5Ks, 10Ks, halves, fulls, Goofys, and Dopeys....big time congratulations! Whether you're a first time distance runner or seasoned runner, you did the training, you did the work, and you got it done. For those who didn't finish, don't give up! This year wasn't your year. If anything, it will give you an opportunity to train and give 'em hell next year!

See you all in 2019! :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom