News Walt Disney World Holiday Events 2023

DisneyFanatic12

Holiday tubes are now inside of the Blizzard Beach lazy river. They are the same tubes that debuted last year. It will be interesting if they survive for longer this year, as they are less durable than the usual tubes that populate the lazy river, and all of the tubes eventually broke last year.

IMG_4275.jpeg

James Alucobond

I was about to say, I wouldn't trust them in the concourse with the Mary Blair art. The lower lobby is fantastic but you just know they'd mess up the mural in the concourse.

Just dump the stupid gift shop in the middle. If they really need merch space, expand the Bayview gifts down towards Outer Rim or have the shop on the other side expand into the arcade. We don't need three stores in a high traffic area.
The mural is tough ... I don't think they'd change it because they've incorporated it into the lobby, but there's always been something a bit post-Vatican II churchy about the composition and color scheme. They played with the color a bit in the new applications in the lobby, but the real thing feels a little somber and, well, jaundiced, for lack of a better word. It presents a design challenge that you might be right to suggest they're not up to solving at the moment.

But just steamrolling the concourse, redoing the signage and surfaces, and creating seating areas shouldn't be a difficult ask. Just continue what they already did with the lobby.

DisneyFanatic12

Christmas lights are up near Dreamers Point! They appear to be cool white LEDs. Will update this post if I can get a good enough photo, but I doubt I will as they only appear to have covered the half of the trees facing the statue. The installation of Christmas lights on the landscaping, in addition to the second set of walls going up, may be a good indicator that they’re close to an opening!

Bocabear

The mural is tough ... I don't think they'd change it because they've incorporated it into the lobby, but there's always been something a bit post-Vatican II churchy about the composition and color scheme. They played with the color a bit in the new applications in the lobby, but the real thing feels a little somber and, well, jaundiced, for lack of a better word. It presents a design challenge that you might be right to suggest they're not up to solving at the moment.

But just steamrolling the concourse, redoing the signage and surfaces, and creating seating areas shouldn't be a difficult ask. Just continue what they already did with the lobby.
The original lobby design pulled the more vibrant colors out of the mural and used them to great effect in the concourse... The long gone Acrylic trees in bright orange green and gold...the banquettes upholstered in shocking pink and red... It was festive and modern and a reflection of it's time...The decor changes in the concourse have made it all feel more drab I think... It's hard with what we consider contemporary today has a lot of leaning toward the early 60s version of Contemporary or modern... Early 70s was the beginning of using earth tones which are indelibly part of the mural...
Maybe taking more cues from the 1971 opening day look could be a better guide than looking at the 90s and Michael Graves style they laid over the top... I agree it is a difficult design problem to get right.... it is all just less fabulous than it was years ago.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Walt Disney World has added these entertainment showtimes to the calendar for the last week of December 2023.

Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade: 12pm, 3pm on December 23-31
Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks: 8pm on December 23-29
Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks: 6:30pm, 11:50pm on December 30 and 31

Showtimes for Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration are not yet available.

castlecake2.0

The original lobby design pulled the more vibrant colors out of the mural and used them to great effect in the concourse... The long gone Acrylic trees in bright orange green and gold...the banquettes upholstered in shocking pink and red... It was festive and modern and a reflection of it's time...The decor changes in the concourse have made it all feel more drab I think... It's hard with what we consider contemporary today has a lot of leaning toward the early 60s version of Contemporary or modern... Early 70s was the beginning of using earth tones which are indelibly part of the mural...
Maybe taking more cues from the 1971 opening day look could be a better guide than looking at the 90s and Michael Graves style they laid over the top... I agree it is a difficult design problem to get right.... it is all just less fabulous than it was years ago.
I’m picturing mid century modern retro airport sort of design using the mural colors as inspiration. Would also love a table service to return to the concourse. I feel chef mickeys and steakhouse should switch locations. Would love to dine somewhere where the monorails are going by and I can look out at bay lake. This should be a prime location, and right now just feels like a mall food court. Also bring back the giant Christmas wreath.

donaldfan

Walt Disney World has added these entertainment showtimes to the calendar for the last week of December 2023.

Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade: 12pm, 3pm on December 23-31
Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks: 8pm on December 23-29
Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks: 6:30pm, 11:50pm on December 30 and 31

Showtimes for Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration are not yet available.
I can’t remember, are all four Fantasy shows the full shows with the launches on the lagoon?

Comped

Posting this just in case anyone is going this year. We just watched a video of a roaming Christmas Tree at Disney Springs. Be sure to catch it because whoever is voicing it is very funny. It made us laugh out loud.
I saw the piano guy on Saturday evening, I didn't see the Christmas tree!

DisneyFanatic12

All monorails on all three lines were displaying the red and green undercarriage animation that played exclusively on MVMCP nights. Perhaps this animation will continue to play on all nights as the holiday festivities ramp up at Walt Disney World?

DisneyFanatic12

IMG_4367.jpeg

Colder weather may be in season, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun at the water park! From now until December 31st, you can participate in a scavenger hunt to celebrate the holiday season! The scavenger hunt and prizes can be picked up at the Lost Children’s hut at Blizzard Beach. The prizes consist of multiple different Christmas ornament craft kits to choose from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom